1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RO Compact in 9mm came with the "standard" FLGR and dual recoil spring. I'm planning to replace the dual spring setup with a GI Commander guide rod and single 11-12lb Wolff single recoil spring.

I know the single recoil spring works with the existing reverse spring plug, but does anyone make a reverse recoil spring plug with a solid face? Everyone I've seen so far from Wilson, Brownell's, Midway, etc., all show an open end face.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
A couple of things here you may not have considered. You will have to cut down the guide rod and you will have to find either a springfield specific reverse plug with no hole or start with a commander length revers plug and cut the back off a bit as well as grind down the front of it.

The reason for these things is that no one maks a 4" GI guide rod and Springfield uses a shallow sholder dimension for the collar on their reverse plugs that no one else uses.

You need the guide rod to be able to go completely into the plug tunnel to where the head is up against the tunnel opening.

I had a commander length EGW reverse plug (collared and supported barrel type) in my spare parts bins already. Here you can see how far it stuck out the tunnel.

Cut down to fit inside.

Here is the guide rod fitting inside the plug after being cut down from commander length.

Here are both parts after cutting and rebluing.

Here you can see how far the plug stuck out the front originally.

Here is the plug currently but I still need to take a bit more off to get it flush and then reblue it again.

This has functioned reliably for 500 rounds. I now have cut down a Wilson Flat Wire guide rod and installed a 11lbs Flat Wire spring in it. I haven't got to shoot it with the Flat wire spring yet though as I also just finished installing a Wilson round butt msh in it and am currently checkering the front strap.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Thank you too Bill. That is the gun I was talking to you about. I am taking a break right now from the front strap checkering. The checkering file vertical lines are done and the horizontal ones are almost done. Then on to the shaping of the tips.

All the things I am doing to this gun are giving me a great appreciation for you Smiths and the work you all do.

I will be starting a thread about this guns transformation as it becomes more complete. I am going to farm out the flush cut reverse crowning of the barrel and the refinishing. I can't see myself doing those things on my coffee table lol.

Pendennis - I encourage you to do this conversion. If you have any questions about the steps just ask and I will help as I can. If you are already experienced enough that you did not need my pics and info then that is even more reason to go for it. I would recommend doing it with the flat wire setup. It is amazing how smooth the gun feels when hand racking the slide with the flat wire spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"I also just finished installing a Wilson round butt msh in it and am currently checkering the front strap."

Remanaz,
Would you kindly show the close up picture of your round butt MSH ?
Thanks and regards,
Haiauphixu

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
"I also just finished installing a Wilson round butt msh in it and am currently checkering the front strap."

Remanaz,
Would you kindly show the close up picture of your round butt MSH ?
Thanks and regards,
Haiauphixu
I don't want to take over and derail Pendennis' thread here so let me PM you some pics.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Awsome

This thread has somehow escaped me but now You got me revved up this is a must for my new ROC duel caliber I was really concerned on how I was gonna use the factory recoil setup and be able to change spring weights but that is ancient history now my friend and thank You BTW for taking the time and getting back to me with Your awesome design specs
DOGG!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts