1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Comp-Tac company recently released a new model called the MTAC. This holster is a hybrid in that it makes use of fine leather and Kydex for its construction.

I'll be honest, at first glance it thought it was ugly. I was looking for something more traditional made from leather like Milt Sparks. Well, good luck getting Milt Sparks to build you a holster any time soon! So I gave the MTAC a second look, this time trying to be objective about the construction and the materials. After a few minutes the design really seemed to make sense to me. I read a few other reviews on the internet from people that had gotten theirs and everyone was quite complementary of the holster.

Late on November 30th (Friday) I placed an order online. By Saturday afternoon I had an email from Randy at Comp-Tac saying my order was being processed and the build was started. He advised me the time from build to the holster being on my doorstep would be about a week. I have to give cudo's to these guys for their exceptional customer service by the way. I made a mistake in ordering online and selected a 5" barrel length for my 1911 when I meant to order a 4.25" (Commander size). On Sunday I emailed Randy and by Monday morning he said my order was updated.

Friday afternoon I come home from work and I have a USPS package sitting in my mailbox. Inside the package is my new MTAC holster which has been professionally packaged and in excellent condition.

As you can see, the guys at Comp-Tac even included a couple rolls of candy and an allen wrench for making adjustments to the holster, which is a nice touch.

Before taking the following pics I made a few adjustments to the holster itself and put it on for a night out on the town. These pics were taken this morning after wearing the holster for about 5 hours last night at dinner with friends.

The holster slips right into position with a minimal effort. I ordered the rig with the J hooks which cup the bottom of your belt (you specify the width of your belt when you order) thereby preventing the holster from pulling free of your pants when you draw. There are several options here for attachments, which is a nice touch.

So into the car and out to dinner I go with the wife. The first thing I notice is that due to the design of the holster, my side is completely padded and makes no contact with the pistol itself. The back side of the holster that contacts your skin is padded with what appears to be a very soft pig skin (see picture below). This translates to a VERY comfortable carry, one I'm not at all use to. So far, so good. A+ on comfort.

One of my major issues with most holsters is that they tend to move around. keep in mind I'm not a huge IWB holster fan. I usually go with an open top belt mounted holster for all of my handguns. The few IWB holsters I have always rubbed me wrong, were too thick or just moved too much because of the lack of proper anchor points. With the MTAC all of these issues were non-existent. The anchor points are spaced far enough apart and the texture of the leather grips your skin and pant fabric enough so that it doesn't move hardly at all. Again, another A+ for design and construction.

Since this holster is a hybrid and makes use of the relatively new wonder material Kydex, the mouth of the holster remains completely open even with the pistol removed. With traditional leather holsters most manufacturers recommend you never remove the pistol from the holster while wearing it unless you need to. The leather alone is easily crushed by the belt tension and over time will flatten your holster. Not a major problem, but something I really don't want to worry about. With the MTAC, I don't have to worry about this at all. I can quickly and easily remove and reholster my pistol.

You may also adjust the tension of the holster by tightening or loosening two screws. Not only does it adjust how tightly the holster grips your pistol, but it also adjusts how much tension your belt places on the pistol by offering some resistance to that pressure.

All the components are of exceptional quality. The Kydex is nicely formed with no visible imperfections. The stitching of the leather is uniform and appears to be very durable. All of the adjustment screws have rubber grommets around them. Over all, once again I must give the quality of the materials and construction an A+.

If you're in the market for a IWB holster you should give the MTAC holster considerable consideration. The quality and design are first rate and the company is very responsive to their customers.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Great review can you post some pics of you wearing the holster? Any problems sitting down or driving with the holster on? With the IWB did you have to go up on pants size? I have had some IWB holsters that I thought I would have to go up 2-3 sizes due to the thickness of the holster.

·
Registered
334 Posts
VERY good review!

AWMP,
When I transitioned into IWB holsters, I made due with my current sized pants; however, I didn't realize how much more comfortable IWB were when you do indeed go up a size or two. You, of course, will also need a little extra adjustment in your belt.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWMP said:
Great review can you post some pics of you wearing the holster? Any problems sitting down or driving with the holster on? With the IWB did you have to go up on pants size? I have had some IWB holsters that I thought I would have to go up 2-3 sizes due to the thickness of the holster.
I'm heading out to go shooting and do some Christmas shopping, but I took this quick pic for you.

I didn't go up a pant size, I wear a 33 which I usually can comfortably stick two fingers in side ways without a belt. I don't wear my pants really tight. The pants I have on are, of course, 33's and it's about right for me.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Im not a fan of IWB for all the reasons you mentioned but I may have to get one of these. Excellent Review!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have one and it's as good as he says

I have one and it's as good as he says. The lightning fast draw is a nice bonus as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
If you like this concept, check out Crossbreed holsters. They are very similar, but perhaps without some of the "finer points".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Questions For Full-Auto

Full-Auto: Thanks for a great review. Inserting my beloved 1911s into anything less than fine-crafted leather was a generally abhorrent idea to my psyche, but I must say your review plus a visit to Comp-Tac's Minotaur M-TAC web page has almost "sold" me. Even though I do love my MS VM-II, due to wait times from the major leather craftsmen, (for a new pistol) I'm seriously considering M-TAC as a possible alternative.

One thing I like (not mentioned in your review) is that the M-TAC models enable purchase of additional Kydex "half-holster" bodies enabling attachment of holster bodies for various make-model guns to to the same singular IWB leather base-pad. At $35 @ for the holster bods, it seems like a cheap, very versatile & great idea . . .

I do have a few questions I'm hoping you might be able to answer, though:

(1) Some Kydex holsters I've fit-tried at retail stores seem to secure gun in holsters with rather loose-sloppy fit even though equipped with tension-adjustable retention screws. Since the M-TAC uses only a "half holster" Kydex sheath on the outer half of the gun, I'm wondering how firm & securely the M-TAC holds the holstered gun in place? (The gun I may buy an M-TAC for is a SA SS Loaded Champion 4" Barrel 1911).

(2) (If you have worn your M-TAC enough to date to enable an opinion) how would rate the M-TAC's Kydex-induced wear factor on contact points of gun's finish as opposed to finish wear from a leather holster?

(3) I note CTAC offers Kydex holster clips in "C", "J" and their "Standard" full-enclosure "circular" belt loop configurations - and that your purchased rig had the "J" clips that hook under lower edge of the gunbelt alone. How happy are you with the J-clips? Did they hold the holster assembly, overall, in place well enough without shifting around?

(4) How about the bodyside leather panel thickness? Is it thick yet supple enough to mold-conform to body shape with time & usage, as opposed to being thin enough to not retain shape well and develop edge curling, etc?

(5) Am I correct in my assumption that the Kydex holster body seems scalloped to insure proper fitment for the right-hand handgrip panel of a Crimson Trace 1911 laser-sight? (It looks so from your pics).

I'd greatly appreciate any further info-comments-opinion you may care to offer & share - thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
334 Posts
RetiredRod said:
If you like this concept, check out Crossbreed holsters. They are very similar, but perhaps without some of the "finer points".
Ha ha ha... funny. You are joking right? I've had both & the Crossbreed doesn't have a fine point...

·
Registered
8 Posts
RTC1911, I bought one of these for my Glocks when they first came out several months ago. Overall I'm very happy with the MTAC as well. I hope you don't mind if I throw my 2 cents in on your questions.

1. Retention is good as long as you're wearing the holster. There's no positive "click" when you holster the gun the way there is with a full kydex holster, but I don't think you have to worry about the gun falling out as long as it's on you. When you're not wearing it, retention is not as tight obviously. It does have tension adjustment screws as well.

2. It's (half) kydex, so I'd assume it will wear more than a leather holster would. Of course, I got mine for my Glocks, so I don't care. My 1911's have historically gotten leather, though I must say I am now considering ordering a 1911 holster body for the MTAC.

3. I originally got the j-clips with mine. They're OK, but they put all of the weight on the waist of the pants, which I found uncomfortable. I recently ordered a set of the new improved standard clips. These place the weight on the belt, and I find them to be MUCH more comfortable; they also seem to stay in place a little better. They are also much lower profile than the original standard clips, so they conceal quite nicely. You could always get both and decide which you like better, or even use a combination (j-hook in front, standard in back, or vice versa).

4. The leather panel is nice and thick. I find it more comfortable than my IWB all kydex holsters. I haven't noticed any edge curling, and don't expect any to occur.

Can't address #5.

I've worn mine regularly for a couple of months now. I really like it, especially now that I've got the standard belt clips. The modularity of this holster is really cool in my opinion. You can change the attachment options, buy additional holster bodies for your other guns, etc. It's comfortable, conceals well, and is very reasonably priced compared to similar offerings from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been using one for my Ultra Raptor for a couple of months now and it is very comfortable. I don't like the body shield because it's kind of out of position for the 1911 frame but all in all it's a holster you can wear for 12 hours and never know you have it on. I have the standard clips for mine so it slides over the belt instead of behind it.

·
Banned
410 Posts
MarkW said:
The Comp-Tac holster looks very similar to the Tucker Urban Legend.
Actually it is a copy of Tucker's "The Answer"

I had a very early Crossbreed for a Glock, and did not like it, although the only other IWB's I had used at that point were Uncle Mikes nylon, and Milt Sparks VMII. In hindsight I think the fact that I did not like the Glock, and the Sparks was sooo much sexier clouded my judgement some.

I might give the MTAC a try next year. I really like to concept.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Tucker looks quite nice, but at $125 I'm really glad I went with the MTAC at $80. The quality of the two looks pretty much the same as well as the styling.

I've had the MTAC on now for about 12 hours straight, even laid down on the couch for an hour and it didn't bother me in the slightest. That's not something I can do even with my favorite belt holster.

I couldn't be happier with this holster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have the MTAC for my 1911 because my work does not allow me to carry 1911 as a off duty weapon :( I do have the MTAC for my Glock 27 as a off duty weapon for 3 months now. Like every one stated the MTAC is very comfortable. I am extremely happy with the MTAC.

For those of you wondering about Tucker The Answer holster, Comptac make the kydex half-bodies for Tucker also.
Here is a quote from [email protected] from one of the Glock forum:

We make the kydex half-bodies for both the Minotaur MTAC holster (for which we are the exclusive dealer at this time) and the Tucker The Answer holster. The bodies cover the outer half of the holster, and the inner half of the holster is the leather backing (which does contact the weapon).

The reason our kydex holsters fit so well is that they have consistent pressure from both sides of the weapon; the detents that grip the trigger guard apply even pressure, and complement one another. When the inside of the holster is leather, you lose most of the firm pressure from that side, and you end up with a fit that is generally halfway between the typical fit of a leather-only and a kydex-only holster. Of course, the appeal is that you get the comfort of a leather-only holster with a better fit.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've a question for your MTAC users. Have you had other holsters or equal or better quality, and how would you compare them? Are these any rougher on the gun finish than leather?
I am looking for my first IWB holster for a commander sized 1911 and this may be a good option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts