1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cake frosting: Bluing (polish work) better than any "current" production Colt EXCEPT the new Gold Cup or Series 70 reproduction. (they put extra effort in these) the Baer is "almost" as nice. The Beaver Tail fit/blend is excelent. Checkering is wonderfull
(Im hoping Colt Custom shop can fix my grip safety Special Combat Gov so its blended as nice.)
The Cake: Barrel to bushing is "TIGHT" and slide to bushing "just" barely needs the tool. Hood fit is great! fit side to side and length. Slide to frame I cannot feal movement but I can see the oil squish moving it. (this is with barrel removed) Ide guiess 1 or 2 thousands. --Im pretty happy so far--
Now the part that is unusual to me. The link hole for slide release is Oval and way oversized!! The feet where they are cut look lumpy as if hand filed to fit ? On most barrels There is a more rounded radius on the barrel feet before the flat where the feet ride the release. Its still a hard fit barrel at .045
lug engaugement. It has the initial hard to pull side to rear. The "snick" sound pulling the barrel out of lock up (just barrel in slide).
I beleive this is the area where a true Custom Gunsmith takes his time to acheive a hard Fit with smoot even surfaces and 100% contact. The Bear does not show the finess in this area. I guiess the end result is the same.
Its tighter than a drum. "I just hope it stays that way."

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Like any 1911 manufacturer, Baer has his own ideas of how things should be fit. He ends up with a very tight gun that has excellent accuracy. Enjoy shooting it and if it's like mine, it will still be just as tight after 10,000 rounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts