1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Been awhile since I've posted on this board. A few months back I put a deposit on a new P14-45 LTD. After reading a few posts of guys griping about Para quality I started getting worried about the deposit I had put down. I picked it up more than a month ago but haven't had a chance to shoot it till today. I am not new to 1911's but new to Para's, all I can say is WOW! I had nothing to worry about. Of the 4 1911's I own this one is the best out of the box in every possible way....fit, finish, reliability, trigger, and even goes head to head with my one high$$$$ "custom" in the accuracy department. It was an absolute joy to shoot today. I don't have the biggest hands around but I actually like the feel of the Para grip/frame better than my traditional/single stack 1911's. This gun is tight, the slide/frame fit is as tight as my other brand of 1911 that are known for their tight fit. The barrel to bushing fit is tight but the bushing to slide fit is only slightly tight (I can turn it with my fingers but easier with the bushing wrench), the barrel hood is tight in the slide, the trigger pulls at 6 lbs exactly everytime and is very crisp making it feel more like 4-5lbs (so much for complaining about series 80 safety design). Heres a quick rundown of my rangetime with my new Para:

1. Before going to the range I disassembled the pistol to completely clean it then lube it with FP-10.

2. I used the 1 stock 10 rnd mag that came with the gun and two new Factory Hi-Caps bought from CDNN.

3. I shot 250 rnds of Winchester Whitebox 230gr FMJ, I know thats not alot of rounds but my time was limited today. I plan on heading back to the range this coming weekend to put 500rnds of the same ammo through it.

4. I did NOT have one single failure out of the 250 rnds I fired, NOT EVEN a slight hiccup or hesitation. I cannot say this about any of my other 1911's (not even the high $$$$ custom which is named for a particular "ranch" that prides itself in defense/reliability). To say I am delighted would be an understatement, I was starting to think like those guys that say 1911's just can't be 100% reliable.

5. Amazingly the adjustable rear sight was adjusted perfectly for me and the Winchester 230gr ammo right out of the box!

Now I know that 250 rounds isn't enough to sort out some problems with a new gun but it has been my experience with new guns that alot of problems will surface within the first 100 rounds, heck, some of my guns showed problems in the first mag (like sights flying off, grip panels breaking, slide not locking back, failures to feed, failures to eject, firing pin stop broke on one 1911 on the 2nd shot!). Like I mentioned above, I will be taking it back to the range this weekend to put another 500 rounds through it, I will give an update to this post right after.

·
Banned
277 Posts
The sight adjustment wouldn't be surprising since Para tests with Win 230 gr white box themselves. My P14 LDA is my favorite warhorse & I'm sure your next 500 will be just as fulfilling. Congratulations on your new purchase.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Para P-14 LTD

Hey welcome to the club. My P-14 Ltd. Stainless shot clover leafs out of the box. Has digested everything I have put thru it without a wimper.

Plan to get a PXT as soon as they come out. Great gun better company.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HELL! All this time I thought I was the luckiest guy around!
After listening to so many put downs on Para, I figured I musta got the only one around that ran like a champ right outa the box!
Mine has approx 6k rounds thru it [as well as 1state & 2 regional trophies!] and I couldn't be happier with it. When I wind it up and turn it loose at an IPSC hosefest, it's pure "rock & roll"!!!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Great post gentleman, as I've said before it's seldom you hear the good side, most of the time just the complaints. I know first hand how good Para guns are as I shoot them competition, also I have a large amount of satisfied customers shooting Para guns.
Congradulations on the wins southern45.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. My experience with my P1445 Limited has been just the same. Its been perfect through @7,500 rounds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new para. My expiriences with the p14ltd are much the same I had one failure in the first 10 rounds. Some debris in the firingping hole held the fp out through the breach face. I took it apart blew it out with compressed air and was off and running. With the next magazine I shot a 5 round off handed at 15 yards that measured 7/8ths of an inch center to center. I have 20,000 k throuhg that gun now it is still my favorite.

happy shooting

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL, I know man, a lot of people like to complain but Ive always liked Paras. My buddy has a regular P14-45 and its an excellent gun. I prefer single stacks but I would still like to get a double stack .45 just for kicks.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Hey. PAra is about to come out with a single stack and if it is like their other models at will be real value and a great gun.

·
Registered
210 Posts
southern45 said:
HELL! All this time I thought I was the luckiest guy around!
Amazing how many of us have had absolutely flawless performance out of the P14 LTD. My first thought was the same as yours. I must have been one of the lucky few. . . It couldn't be that it's a popular well-made factory production pistol, now could it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
fz4vgq said:
After reading a few posts of guys griping about Para quality I started getting worried about the deposit I had put down.
You're not the only one. After all the hissing and moaning about what a piece of junk the P14 is, not to mention every other Para pistol, I was convinced I had the only P14 Ltd. that performed flawlessly. :confused:

Imagine my relief when I discovered I had plenty of company. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same here. I'm very much satisfied with my Para P14.45 Ltd. SS. Just added a Grams Eng'g. base pad kit and an EGW thick flange barrel bushing. Works just fine , great looking too !!!;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I consider my P14 Ltd. a bit of a lemon actually. The surface finish on some of the internals is just plain nasty. It does not seem to effect function so I let it slide. I just think that for a flagship pistol the finish on the internals was iffy at best. The pistol is stainless, I am talking about 250 uin RA or worse here. It's been a good work horse for me. I have used it to teach people to shoot. The front sight is starting to lose its finish around the corners and the gun has a lot of character marks on it from use. It is a pretty reliable shooter but does not care for crappy USA ammunition. I would not normally hold that against the gun (the ammo was free), but my SIG P220 feeds it without a hitch. I think the P14 might be a little rougher in the chamber than the SIG and cause the rounds to hang up. My P14 is certainly an accurate pistol and not a bad pistol by any means, it just does not seem to be quite on par with what most expect from a PO.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've owned my Para P14-45 for several years. It is THE most accurate of the ten handguns I own. The others include Sigs, a Glock 30, a Colt, a Smith, etc.

I added some nice double-diamond Rosewood grips and it became even nicer.

She's a keeper! Good luck with yours.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Jamg

Where did you get the double diamond grips from?

Have been looking without much sucess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have one on my P14.45 Ltd. . It's from Smith & Alexander.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
This thread is indeed reassuring! I acquired a P.14 LTD SS almost as soon as it became available in the market years back and I also thought that I just was among the very lucky few who found it almost flawless out of the box. Welcome to the club!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chuck S said:
These grips came from Brownells. I forget who made them.

They add minimal width to the already wide frame.

-- Chuck
very nice! I wonder how these would look on a stainless P14.45, it may look just perfect ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts