1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a couple of these with the intent on creating a brace of really nice 45s...for posterity...not my own imediate gratification....:)

These remain unfired (not because I dont want to fire them, but the sights suck and I have "too many" 45s in the rotation to make room for bad sights ;))

Anywho- First impression: very nice gun. Not a tool mark to be seen. Anywhere. The slide and barrel fit is a little looser than I'd like to see, but it's better than anything else I have that's "pure Colt". Better than my Black Army, better than my Delta, and better than my Series 70. Better machined than all these too.

It's really a handsome pistol, these pictures dont do it justice. The bluing is deep and what I would expect from Colt.

Good roll marks. The look good, are even, and arent the "ugly" Series 70 style. Just my opinion.

Nice stocks too.

Nice barrel. Very smooth rifling. Polished chamber.

I prefer these cocking serations.

Rear of slide was well done.

Final thoughts: At $1100 it isnt exactly a "steal". However, it represents big steps forward in Colt QC and is an extremely handsome pistol. If it had an A1 grip safety and better sights, I'd have shot the crap out of it by now. To be honest, I wish colt would sell this gun as a bare slide/frame combo for customization (say, at $400?). I would buy a pile of them.

Its an interesting Colt, for sure. Beautiful stocks. Beautiful finish. And, most importantly, is a first rate canvas for a good 1911 'smith. Which is why I bought it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I gotta agree with all your comments, except the grips. Mine are almost pink they're so light in color. Hated them. I understand the sights given the "theme" of the pistol. But the A1 grip safety would have been alot better, along with a WWI repro's thumb safety.
I've shot mine, actually didn't get bit like I thought I would. Accuracy is simply amazing and not a single issue in about 300rds.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Colts. Your picture highlights why I like the Talo rollmarks better. It just looks right. I think it should say "Government Model" on the right side though.

Let me ask you a question: are the right side slide serrations deeper than the left on your gun? I initially thought mine were, then after measuring things, the serrations are correct, but the slide is 0.005" or so thicker on the right than left, making the serrations appear deeper.

Still, cool gun. One of the nices Colts I've ever owned.

Cheers!

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Nice guns and it is nice to see Talo starting to move away from the engraved and etched 1911s, although their price add on is still not trivial.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I hated the price too. Got mine for just shy of $1100. Could of been cheaper if I went through the guy at work as he only charges us $10 above dealer cost, probably would've been shy of $1000.
But I firmly agree with blr in the fact that I wanted it as a base gun and even as is this is one beautiful Colt, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I sure like the looks of these! I do agree with the suggestions about the thumb and grip safeties though.

The sights are fine by me. I rarely use them anymore since everybody started using the fuzzy ones.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I really like this gun and plan to buy one ASAP. I do plan to put in a stock Colt A1 grip safety though...after that it will be left alone.

It's funny - I prefer the small sights - I actually shoot better with them than any others I have tried. I think I've just gotten used to them over time shooting my pre70's and 70's series Gov's.

Nice Colt's guys!

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
You know, outside on a bright day even the little sights on my WWI Repro are fine, but on an indoor range it is a different story.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like this gun and plan to buy one ASAP. I do plan to put in a stock Colt A1 grip safety though...after that it will be left alone.

It's funny - I prefer the small sights - I actually shoot better with them than any others I have tried. I think I've just gotten used to them over time shooting my pre70's and 70's series Gov's.

Nice Colt's guys!
I would be suprised if there are any left at the distributors by now. Finding one at a local dealer might prove difficult as well. When I got this one (ordered, the first was on the shelf), the shop mentioned there were only 7 or so left total at all the distributors.

I highly recomend this colt. It has all the makings for a fantastic, lightly modified BBQ gun. Or just something fun to fondle during slow winter months...

I really, truly believe Colt adds an addictive chemical to the bluing. They are disproprotionatly attractive guns. Maybe the pony is hypnotic?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
It's funny - I prefer the small sights - I actually shoot better with them than any others I have tried. I think I've just gotten used to them over time shooting my pre70's and 70's series Gov's
Same here. I've disliked the current sights since I bought my ORM 1991 way back in '93. The front blade is way too wide for my liking (replaced it with a Novak which is much better) That being said, I just picked-up a very nice earlier MK-IV S80 Government Model with the small sights...I shoot better with them too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Call me crazy....

Well, as nuts as it sounds, a little bright red nail polish on the top edge of the blade will really bring it out. Doesn't hurt the gun and is easily removable with any gun cleaner. Not durable, in the normal sense, but for a day at the range when you want a little better "picture", it works pretty good for me. :)

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
A favorite shop of mine, a couple miles away, has one for 1199.99.

It's been sitting there for a couple months. It looks exactly like the blue series 70 next to it, except for the rollmarks and the few different parts.

1199.99 for it and 879.99 for the series 70. The price difference is laughable....but who do I laugh at ....Talo or Colt? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A favorite shop of mine, a couple miles away, has one for 1199.99.

It's been sitting there for a couple months. It looks exactly like the blue series 70 next to it, except for the rollmarks and the few different parts.

1199.99 for it and 879.99 for the series 70. The price difference is laughable....but who do I laugh at ....Talo or Colt? :biglaugh:
You don't laugh at either if someone buys it. If you want something bad enough you will pay the price and they know it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Those are alot nicer than the ones mine came with, I like 'em. It also looks like they are using the S70's slide release and grip safety now.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Ghost Commander

This is another TALO Colt O4680 Commander .45 using factory installed Novak Ghost rear & fiberoptic front. (200 shipped to date)

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I purchased a couple of these with the intent on creating a brace of really nice 45s...for posterity...not my own imediate gratification....:)

These remain unfired (not because I dont want to fire them, but the sights suck and I have "too many" 45s in the rotation to make room for bad sights ;))

Anywho- First impression: very nice gun. Not a tool mark to be seen. Anywhere. The slide and barrel fit is a little looser than I'd like to see, but it's better than anything else I have that's "pure Colt". Better than my Black Army, better than my Delta, and better than my Series 70. Better machined than all these too.

It's really a handsome pistol, these pictures dont do it justice. The bluing is deep and what I would expect from Colt.

Good roll marks. The look good, are even, and arent the "ugly" Series 70 style. Just my opinion.

Nice stocks too.

Nice barrel. Very smooth rifling. Polished chamber.

I prefer these cocking serations.

Rear of slide was well done.

Final thoughts: At $1100 it isnt exactly a "steal". However, it represents big steps forward in Colt QC and is an extremely handsome pistol. If it had an A1 grip safety and better sights, I'd have shot the crap out of it by now. To be honest, I wish colt would sell this gun as a bare slide/frame combo for customization (say, at $400?). I would buy a pile of them.

Its an interesting Colt, for sure. Beautiful stocks. Beautiful finish. And, most importantly, is a first rate canvas for a good 1911 'smith. Which is why I bought it.

Why don't you just change the sights?

Clyde

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Very nice!:rock:

One question for you, is this a gun that you'd use as a base for a retro carry gun? The mods would be minimal, just sights and few other things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts