1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I'll say I didn't need them. Both guns are almost new and the bushings were fine. First reason I did it was that two of the bushings in the .45 were loose and would come out with grip and grip screw. Second was that the way that Challis presents the bushings and O rings they are supposed to help prevent your grips from moving while shooting and or possibly rubbing marks on the frame. Third, they just look cool and like really neat mods. I love tinkering and moddin'.
So for the low cost I decided to upgrade.

I also got the bushing extractor tool just in case. Was only $20 something bucks and WELL WORTH it. Turns out I NEEDED it for the 9mm.
Very well made high quality items, all of them.

First pic guns and parts...

Extractor tool. Excellence and Innovation are true. One of those tools you invest in and will have for many years. I was quite please to see they even included a grip screw to use for the removal so you don't have to use your own.

The bushings. Again high quality very well made parts.

O rings. Again they don't seem like el cheapo Walmart rubber. These look, feel and act like a well made piece of rubber.

The bushing 'socket' locked down over bushing and screwed on

Slide the rod thru the two holes in top AFTER securing 'socket' onto bushing with included grip screw.

Twist and remove...as you can see these are the ones from the 9mm. And they were definitely staked in. And no a screwdriver I don't think would have gotten them out without shredding them. Strangely both are XSE lightweights but only the 9mm were staked.

Now here's a part where I had to stop and think for a bit (it was late). Once removed how do you unscrew the dang grip screw from the bushing? I couldn't hold the round socket tight enough to do that. So then the dim lightbulb in my head lit up and I figured out how to put rod thru only one hole and use screwdriver. This allowed me to hold things still and unscrew them.

New bushing with O ring installed. Again nothing really remarkable here as they worked as they are supposed to. Just nice high quality parts is all that's needed to be said on this.

O ring over grip screw. Fit perfectly.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Done

Pic showing unstaked bushing from the .45 on left and X pattern stake marks on the 9mm one on right. This is why I NEEDED the extractor tool.

Some comments.
First, the owner I believe is Brian. I sent a couple feeler emails and some questions to them. He personally responded quickly and eloquently as well as explained everything I asked. Super nice and polite and seemed like he 'was there' for me should I need it. That right there gave me the confidence to buy their products. Good on you sir and thanks.
Second the parts are as represented HIGH QUALITY and very reasonably priced.

And third I now have two Ponies that are Better, Faster and Stronger than they were before.
Six Million Dollar Colts they are...........dah nah nah nah....:)

Thanks Brian/Challis for making a great product and being a stand up guy.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the bushings and screws made to allow for the O rings?
The bushings are made to allow for the O rings underneath. When you put the grip back on it will rest a bit off the frame and you can feel it resting on the O rings. When you screw the grip on you can 'feel' it sinch down and it becomes a very solid mount. Can I tell the difference between these once done and how they felt before? No, I can't. They were solid then and they are now. But I do feel and can see how the O rings and bushing system centers and solidifies the mount. Both the frames on my guns are CeraKoted from Colt. I figured anything I can do to keep a grip from moving or loosening and possibly rubbing a spot on the frame for a fair price is worth it.

On the grip screws, I simply used the original ones I already had on the guns.
They went back in and down as deep and flush as they were before. So as far as my situation goes I didn't need any 'special' grip screws to utilize the O rings. And I believe this will be the case for most all from my research here and there on the Challis products.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
For the folks reading this thread that may be considering changing out the bushings on their Dan Wesson 1911, the bushing removal tool does not fit the VZ bushing that DW uses. I only know because I called Brian prior to ordering the wrench and bushings. I still haven't removed mine from my V Bob.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The bushings are made to allow for the O rings underneath. When you put the grip back on it will rest a bit off the frame and you can feel it resting on the O rings. When you screw the grip on you can 'feel' it sinch down and it becomes a very solid mount. Can I tell the difference between these once done and how they felt before? No, I can't. They were solid then and they are now. But I do feel and can see how the O rings and bushing system centers and solidifies the mount. Both the frames on my guns are CeraKoted from Colt. I figured anything I can do to keep a grip from moving or loosening and possibly rubbing a spot on the frame for a fair price is worth it.

On the grip screws, I simply used the original ones I already had on the guns.
They went back in and down as deep and flush as they were before. So as far as my situation goes I didn't need any 'special' grip screws to utilize the O rings. And I believe this will be the case for most all from my research here and there on the Challis products.
Did you buy the torque screwdriver or did you install the Challis bushings by feel?

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you buy the torque screwdriver or did you install the Challis bushings by feel?
No I didn't but probably should have. I have an inch pound torque wrench I use on my motorcycles. Torque rating is 30lbs for steel frames but NOT rated for aluminum frames. So I dialed it down to 15 inch pounds. Something wasn't right as it wasn't even clicking on that light of a setting? And that was pretty tight. So I did the rest by hand with a quarter inch socket wrench. Did the rest by 'feel'. I used a drop of blue loctite and snugged them in. No need to go Hulk on them. But now I'm pretty sure they won't come loose.

Which does bring up two good points.
First, make sure you have a 7/32 socket to fit them or buy that torque tool they have.
And second, if you don't thank Walmart for being open 24hrs a day as I was there at 12:30am last night buying a small tool kit that came with one. :)

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the folks reading this thread that may be considering changing out the bushings on their Dan Wesson 1911, the bushing removal tool does not fit the VZ bushing that DW uses. I only know because I called Brian prior to ordering the wrench and bushings. I still haven't removed mine from my V Bob.
Thank you for that.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Great write up.... one question- do the bushings come with the O rings or do you order them as separate line items? I see that they can be ordered separately, but not sure if they're sold as replacements.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great write up.... one question- do the bushings come with the O rings or do you order them as separate line items? I see that they can be ordered separately, but not sure if they're sold as replacements.
Everything is separate. If you're on the site you see how relatively inexpensive these things are. i think I got everything for around $60 bucks or something close?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Separate line items......bushings do not come with O rings..... and order extra depending on how often you remove your grips. Have changed all my 1911's over to these......really makes grip bushings a none issue for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I used the Challis bushings on my first build, they work great! The 'O' rings are specially made to their specs from what I've read. I've done a little research, haven't found anything close. Besides, if I need more, I'll support a company that produces top quality products.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Thanks Blanca Busa. Very nice description and photos. I'm happy to hear they worked well for you. Below are some thoughts regarding comments/questions posted on this thread:
  • As was mentioned, the VZ universal bushings have a very narrow slot and are not compatible with our Bushing Extractor. A notice to this effect is posted on the product page for each of our extractors.
  • Bushing O-rings will last a long time...I've not had anyone comment that theirs had worn out. Grip screw O-rings on the other hand do their job by being smashed. They will break down with repeated tightening of the grip screws. The rate of breakdown is dependent on the thickness of the grips. These O-rings should be considered consumables...we encourage customers to get extras.
  • The system prevents the grips from shifting under the shock of recoil. Most people can't feel the difference, but many have reported that they do. Since the grip is a man's connection with his gun, it is a place you don't want anything to shift.
  • We sell an excellent 7/32" nut driver for those who don't have one on hand (saves those midnight trips to Walmart). Great care should be used if installing with a socket wrench. No one has reported that they have stripped threads in their frame, but the hex head is strong enough that it can be done.
  • The torque limiting driver we sell is overkill for most people, but for those who want the confidence of precise installation torque, it is an excellent tool.
  • The system virtually eliminates loose grip screws.

The photo shows a cutaway of a grip mounted using the Hex Drive Bushing system. Note that the grip screw O-ring is sized and positioned such that it will not get between the head of the screw and the counterbore where it should seat. This means the O-ring will not cause grip screws to stand proud of the grip. You can also see that the grip panel is forced into concentricity with, but isolated from the bushing by the O-rings which act like very stiff shock absorbers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does the ECO not have the VZ bushings because the slim extractor worked great on mine when changing to standard grips.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good review.

The wife and I moved this summer. When I placed an order for enough screws, bushings and washers to retrofit all my .45's (+ a few spares) I inadvertently gave my old address as the shipping address. When I emailed the correct address Brian called me back to confirm the change. The package arrived at my house three days later.

The Challis products work flawlessly and look great. Brian is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. He has my business for life.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts