1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for new grips for My S&W 686.

I like the Hogue rubber monogrip that came with the revolver as I think it makes shooting .357 quite bearable by virtue of it's recoil absorbing tendancy.

However, i'm going to give this gun a try in USPSA revolver competition and I'm going to shoot major caliber. The problem with the Hogue monogrip is the finger grooves, which are tough to grab perfectly when drawing.

I really like the looks of the Jerry Miceluk wood grips, but I wonder if I will lose the recoil absorbing characteristics of the rubber grip ?

Does anyone know of rubber monogrips without finger grooves ? I looked on the hogue website and all the rubber grips for K & L frame revolvers have finger grooves.

·
Registered
569 Posts
For non-grooved rubber grips, pachmayer's probably your best bet, and even hve several different models of non-grooved grips.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a 686 for a few years and I didn't notice much difference in recoil between rubber and wood grips. Actually, the wood grips reduced recoil a little for me. The wood grips from Hogue are a little wider which gave me a better grip and helped a little in felt recoil. But the difference was slight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced the original Hogue rubber on my N-Frame 629 with the Hogue wood single finger groove square butt conversion and the apparent recoil is less if anything because the fit is so good without all the grooves and the conversion grip is larger. If it didn't increase the felt recoil in the 44 you should be ok with the .357.

It makes the gun look sweet as well.

Dog

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the Miculek wood grips today.

Watching the guy do reloads convinced me he knows what he is doing !

Thanks for the responses gentleman. I appreciate the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts