1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i know this isn't the best board to ask questions, however i know that a few of the best pistol smiths in the world frequent this board and have a couple questions for them.

fist off a little back ground, i have a brand new S&W 610 revolver.

my main question is about converting it to a DAO gun, as it will be used only in competition. i have heard that the DAO guns have a much shorter trigger pull. after disassembling and examining the gun i am curious how this is done.

i have seen the roller bearing conversion from Cylinder and Slide, however this will not work since i do not have a hammer mounted firing pin, and the fact that it is VERY expensive.

thanks for all of your imput in the past i am sure someone will be able to help me out.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Smoney,,,

Maybe I can shed a little light on your project. For the gun that you have you will need to modify the hammer to make it DA only. This is not hard, it requires the removal of the single action cock notch from the hammer.

Remove the sideplate and cock the hammer, note where the hammer and trigger engage with the hammer at full cock. Grind the small seat off of the hammer. Go slow and dont get to aggressive. Now polish the area that you just ground on and you will have a DA only action. There is no need to alter the trigger. As a safety point you should consider bobbing the hammer spur to prevent it from being pulled back in an attempt to cock the hammer.

The trigger pull will be a little shorter but I dont think you will notice a very big difference. The hammer throw will be shorter since the trigger does not have to overcome the cock notch to complete the cycle. To complete your modification I would suggest that you install a trigger stop in or on the trigger, that is where you will notice a shorter trigger pull since it is not necessary to pull the trigger all the way to the rear to cycle the action.

I hope this helps.

KN

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good post, Ken. I believe this is also an excellent modification for the small carry revolvers that have hammer spurs. If someone has one, but would rather have one of the concealed hammer guns, you might look at doing this--or having it done--before you buy a new gun. I got tired of snagging clothing (and my wrist) on the hammer of my favorite S&W Chief's Special so I converted it to DAO and cut the hammer spur. Seems to make it a lot more friendly. Strongly suggest that no one cut the hammer spur and leave the single action notch intact--have seen some of these but I wouldn't want to have to decock them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts