1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the book from where this quote is taken:

“[…] but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine its policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliamentary system or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them that the common cold has turned into a terrible contagion, and denounce the non-believers for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.”

– Hermann Göring

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
They tried this during the great depression to keep Oakies out of California. Courts told them they couldn't do it.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
First, as a point of clarity, there is no such thing as the "US Nation Guard". They are State, in this case RI, citizens and troops. When employed domestically, they are under the operational control of their respective State leadership- even with Title 10 funding.

That aside, is this a surprise to anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Monroe county in Florida is doing the same thing.

Monroe is the county that covers the Florida keys and parts of the swampy part of the Everglades National Park (no people but alligators live there).

The local PD, Sheriff's Deputy have formed roadblocks and no one is allowed into the Keys unless they can prove they live there full time, or have official business like trucks delivering goods or are employed there at an essential business. Part time property owners are also prohibited.

https://www.wlrn.org/post/florida-keys-set-roadblock-locals-only
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office is setting up traffic stops at mile marker 112.5 on U.S. 1, the county line, and on Card Sound Road.
and

Proof of residency includes a hurricane-entry sticker, local I.D., utility bill, deed, lease or tax bill.
This isn't just a state line border issue... it is now becoming a county line issue as well. Some legal analysts have said it may be 100% legal under some state emergency declarations that allow local officials to dictate how they will manage their localities.

·
Registered
23,125 Posts
Here in Virginia.

They are setting up machine gun nests along I-81. Anyone heading South with New York tags gets bagged.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
They are setting up machine gun nests along I-81. Anyone heading South with New York tags gets bagged.
I hope you're joking. And if you are, that's pretty inappropriate at a time like this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We’ve been looking for reasons to keep Mass-holes out of NH. While I’m all for restricting the movements of Mass-holes and generally turning them away, I won’t ever support what that See You Next Tuesday in RI did. Wait until the powers that be decide to restrict people from moving across town lines.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
That’s as laughable as the one our gov here in Florida did which is basically the same thing. We are just gonna trust NY’ers fleeing from there and coming here to south Florida to self-quarantine? Yeah right. That to me is a completely separate discussion.
Troops going door to door looking for certain kinds of people is worrisome to say the least.
Prohibiting the interstate travel of citizens, regardless of situation or circumstance, is worrisome.

While, in theory, I'd be happy for it to be a felony for anyone from NY, NJ, and points North, to stop and exit the I95 in NC, freedoms of movement is Constitutionally protected....

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Good grief, can no one read? Several states are requiring inbound travelers from high case areas to self quarantine after arrival. Air PAX from several areas arriving into TX are being told to self quarantine. Quarantine authority is the Governor, verification courtesy of our Governor with our blessing. That’s what is happening here. No more, no less. If you fly to TX from high case named origins, you will quarantine yourself for the designated 14 days at the place of your choosing subject to random in person welfare checks. No one says you cannot come, but rescheduling the visit for a later date is suggested.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
LOL,,, it may be wrong but I think most of us really want to keep New Yawkers out of our state! ;)
We should build a big beautiful wall and have New York pay for it.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts