1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, I have 3 1911's 5 inch, just got a RIA 1911 Compact GI. I read at a Sarco website that a recoil buffer should not be used on any 1911 that is under 5 inches. RIA web site says the Compact GI has a 24 LB. recoil spring. Has anyone run into this issue, tried it, successful or unsuccessful. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated Thank you!

From what I have read so far this is a great place for help and information!

·
Registered
119 Posts
"NO" buffers on RIA. Compact has a 23 or 24LB spring.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
No buffer on any size.
But specially with officer size 1911. Lack of slide travel is one of the primary reason why officer can be very unreliable, let alone something that would makes it even less travel?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
pritch - Do you get the impression that those things aren't too well thought-of around this Rockpile? There are good reasons for that attitude, most having to do with the buffers disintegrating in use and the bits having to go somewhere (usually nowhere good for your pistol). They were originally developed out of necessity for use in alloy-framed 1911's in an attempt to keep the things from cracking at the slide-stop insertion points and almost every other hole through the frame. Competition shooters who run through hundreds of rounds a day also tried them in an effort to ease the hand pain they suffered. But since Rocks have solid steel frames and the resultant weight that absorbs recoil forces through inertia, they aren't as prone to cracking and the shooter's hands also receive less jolting so buffers really aren't necessary.
Oh, and because of the short slide travel and much shorter action duration of the officers-sized pistols (like Rocks's 3.5-inch barrel Compact series), buffers prevent the gun from working at all (which I guess would be a cure for frame cracking and hand soreness) so they are totally not used.

·
Registered
949 Posts
because of the short slide travel and much shorter action duration of the officers-sized pistols (like Rocks's 3.5-inch barrel Compact series), buffers prevent the gun from working at all (which I guess would be a cure for frame cracking and hand soreness)
OEE wins the snark contest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This thread was answered in December 2013, I don't know why it resurfaced. Sorry for the repeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts