1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum. I need some info on the RIA compact .45. I know I like the full size 1911. Just curiuos. Are the grips on the compact the same length as the full size? Reason I ask is I am looking for a compact for concealed carry. The full size is to hard to conceal in Texas where its shorts and t-shirt year round. Most compact pistols I have tried the grip length is to short for me to feel comfortable. I held a 4" Para 1911 the other day and it felt great. Just don't want to spend $1000. So I need someone with an RIA compact to tell me about it. Length, recoil, your thoughts. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! The grips on the Compact are shorter than a full size. The recoil is a little more pronounced with the Compact but it is manageable. I have 4 at the present time and they are all great little pistols.:rock:

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
I just traded one off and miss it. I'll probably try to get it back.

As mentioned, a round shorter on the grip length. It had a slightly lighter trigger than my full size RIA. Both have crisp safeties and triggers.

When my step-daughter was in for Christmas, she, her mother, and I went to the range. Both my wife and the daughter preferred shooting the compact. It is comfortable to shoot and shoots well enough.

I went to a CHL class in San Antonio this past weekend and the instructor, who has been with the Bexar County Sherriff's Dept., as a deputy and as a firearms instructor. His daily carry is a Para Ordinance compact with the 10 rnd, fat grip. He was carrying it in front of his hip in an OWB holster and had two of the fat mags in a paddle holster same position on the left. With a heavy t-shirt over it you couldn't tell.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Actually the stainless Compact is a Charles Daly that Ivan with Armscor located for me!!:rock:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
whats the going price for a rock compact? there is a gunshow this weekend and im trying to scrape up 500 bucks so i can go find a decent compact 1911 for off duty carry.

i keep hearing good things about RIA and figure since its an officers size gun i could still get whatever parts i wanted for it..

i dont care for fancy, thats why i carry a springer GI45 onduty ( and off right now) so i dont care that the RIA is " plain jane" ill put the grips on it that i want, it just has to be reliable and combat accurate...

thanks

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Russell, my dealer has it NIB for $379.95+tax. He said his "guy" does not have it stock but he would order it from Sarco Inc who does have it in stock.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Russell, my dealer has it NIB for $379.95+tax. He said his "guy" does not have it stock but he would order it from Sarco Inc who does have it in stock.
cool, im hoping to make to the gun show this weekend in tulsa, if money allows.. i hope to find one in that range if i can. if not ill be waiting till the end of the month, then i will prob have to order one, and i would sure like to handle a gun before i buy it.. lol..

thanx for the help.

like i said, im looking to make it an off duty carry, and i can do any polishing that needs done, as long as everything else is user quality..

russel
SDMF

p.s. i just left an email for sarco to see if they had any in stock, there website says they have 30 left, but i dont know how old that is... hopefully they will contact me.. lol.. their price is 340.00 hopefully i can find one at the gun show and save the ordering hassle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The $340 is the dealer cost. They said they would not sell to me only a dealer. My dealer said to add $40 to cover shipping/background check, ect. Still a good price.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
thanks for the info. i spoke with an FFl today that is part of our police department, and she wont charge me anything to have the gun shipped her. (cool!)

im really thinking about getting one, just because i want an officers size 1911.
i ve heard good things about them, and the price is right even knowing ill probably have to polish it it a bit inside.

ive just never bought a gun over the internet before.. lol.. so its a little nerve racking.. lol..

thanks for your help

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please post a review if you get one. I still am undecided. It is between the RIA compact and a S&W M&P compact. I need to hurry and decide.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That's Bravo Sierra. Sarco's price for the RIA Compact is $340, and they don't care WHO you are, that's the price you get, period. Dealer or Joe Six-Pack, doesn't matter.

They can only SHIP to a dealer, and they have to have his FFL on file first. After that, they'll be happy to sell the gun directly to you with a credit card, but they'll only ship it to the FFL you specify.

I have one on my hip right now, and that's the way it went down. My FFL's info was already on file there, they verified his address, I paid with my Visa, and it was here in two days. $340 + I can't recall the shipping, +$15 FFL fee. Close to $380 total, I think, I'd have to look it up.

I recently heard that Sarco still has several of these, they have the beavertail and Commander hammer, and possibly more on the way. This is my Compact sitting on top of my GI, just for a size comparison. Those aren't the stock grips, BTW, those are Ultra Slims from woodgrips.com.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks rondawg. I like that. Bravo Sierra. I will have to remember that. I guess whoever I talked to on monday didn't know what they were talking about. Is the compact fairly accurate? How do you carry it? Is it your daily carry? Thanks for pics.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Thanks rondawg. I like that. Bravo Sierra. I will have to remember that. I guess whoever I talked to on monday didn't know what they were talking about. Is the compact fairly accurate? How do you carry it? Is it your daily carry? Thanks for pics.
I'm very much an amateur shooter, I haven't shot any guns for many years, I only got back in to shooting last June, and rarely get to go. This is my first target with the Compact, at 7 yards. I thought it was pretty damn good for me, considering my inexperience. Of course, others here are real killers that shoot thousands of rounds per year. It shoots as good as I can shoot it, and I swear it has less recoil than my 5" 1911's.

It's my daily carry gun, I use a Beltster from Bandera gun Leather in Bandera, Texas. Not the perfect choice for a lot of guys, but I'm a fatass, so it works very well for me. Covers and conceals quite well, but the copper rivets on your jeans will need to be removed. They'll mar the slide.

I currently carry it with Crimson Trace lasergrips on it, since it's my self-defense gun, but I really loved it with the Ultra slims from woodgrips.com. Go ahead and get yourself one from Sarco, you won't regret it, I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
rondawg,

thanks for all your help.

yeah im hoping to get one. would like to get one ordered this week if possible, my have to wait till the part time job check comes in.

i like the officers size, i used to have a defender, i bought it used and had to do a bit of "tweaking" to get it to run right. if these are reliable than great, ill just do a little polishing. also, i will certainly change the smooth grips that come on it.

its going to be my off duty gun. currently i carry my springer fullsize in a crossbreed holster, and while its comfortable, i would like to have the officers size to carry concealed, and my holsters will work for it so it saves buying new leather.

thanks again for your help. like i said, the FFL i have said she would fax them her info and then i can have it shipped to her ( its a small town hardware store) and i know her and her husband, so that makes it even easier.

hopefully i can get one, gonna be kinda bummed if it doesnt work out.. lol.. im impatient that way

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Oh, FWIW, I prefer the flat-bottomed Chip McCormick mags in mine for carry purposes. I have a bunch of the Novaks for range use though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The $340 is the dealer cost. They said they would not sell to me only a dealer. My dealer said to add $40 to cover shipping/background check, ect. Still a good price.
I talked to a lady on the phone on Monday. She told me all I had to do was get a copy of someones FFL and send a MO and I was good to go..

$340 +15 to ship. I talked to my FFL guy today he said he would order it but he would add tax shipping a handling fee a dealer fee and something else..All together t was $80 more..

I hope I can get it for cost....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
alright guys!!!!!!!!!!

you talked me into it. i ordered mine friday morning from sarco. 340.00 plus i am paying 27 bucks for shipping so it will be here by monday afternoon.

my ffl isnt charging me a dime, she said the officers ususally give her a ten dollar tip for the paperwork but she doesnt the officers in town to have a gun shipped to her ( her husband is a reserve) so im looking at 367 total.

i hope its everything i want it be.. lol.. reliable and sturdy. ill shoot it after i polish the insides good, and if its reliable it will be my off duty carry.

ill let you guys know how it goes. but for the price, and the good things i keep hearing about the compact im not too worried.

take care

russel
SDMF

1 - 20 of 43 Posts