1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm Probably going to end up buying myself a .38 Super for Christmas, and the RIA is looking like the best bang for the buck.

My question, is what is the hottest round you can put through a stock RIA
.38?

What has to be done to shoot high speed, high pressure ammo in one? Is it as simple as buying a different barrel, or is there a slew of things to be done. I wouldnt be shooting anything more than hot factory rounds if I can find them, for the most part it would be mid speed ammo.

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
.38 Super is .38 Super. True, CorBon loads closer to the SAAMI industry maximum pressure, but it is nothing a sound gun will not handle without modifications.

If you plan to overload it as is common for IPSC raceguns, you might need some changes.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. No, If I do shoot it enough to need to hand load, It'll be with in specs of what the stock gun can handle.

I've seen the pics of hot rounds that split and crack, I was planning (and will probably do anyways) on starting off with regular rounds, and work up in power, make sure I'm not feeding it anything is dosnt like right out the gate.

Just wondered if hot factory loads were kosher =)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Just make sure that you get an older RIA with a ramped barrel for added security and peace of mind. I've heared the new ones are using non-ramped barrels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts