1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I see that RIA makes 10mm 1911s as well as the usual suspects. I know that RIA sells the 10mm with a ramped barrel and full rail frame- the Tac Ultra FS 10mm

I have a RIA full rail .45 bought in 2012 that had the number 2011 on the frame for the anniversary. It came with the options on the Tac Standard FS .45, except it had the slide serrations found on Tac Ultra FS .45. [mine currently has the FO fr/adjustable rear and magwell additions- so it really is like a Tac Ultra FS .45].

Has the frame strength changed at all?

I ask as I am contemplating getting a 10mm upper and setting it up for a multi-caliber gun.

I am torn between the cost advantage of a 10mm swinging link barrel [sticking to factory normal loads- not buffalo bore tear them a new one loads], or the more expensive option of having my frame milled to take a ramped barrel, and then getting a new .45acp barrel plus the ramped 10mm barrel.

BTW- I am in california, so the only 1911 in 10mm I can buy new is a Kimber, due to our gun list. Otherwise, it is a bunch of glocks, and some revolvers.

Has the frame been changed at all to handle the extra pressure/power of the 10mm?

I have two areas of concern: one is the basic frame strength in the slide lock pin hole area, and the second is the strength of the frame in the dust cover area, so that it doesn't crack from excessive vibrations when firing 10mm loads.

I would not be likely to fire full power 10mm loads, so a swinging link would get me in the game, and I could then spend the $700+ to buy 2 new barrels, new bushings and have the frame milled/barrels fitted at a later date.

Getting a completely new top end will already cost me $600-$700, without ramped barrels on top of that.

I realize I will need to install a 10mm ejector, and then either swap ejectors with uppers, or mill my existing .45 slide to allow it to operate with the 10mm ejector installed.

I will probably go this route, like I did with my .45 Caspian and the .38 Super upper I fitted.

I won't bother if there are any concerns about frame strength of my frame with 10mm loads in it.

BTW- I like RIA, and have 4 of them currently. I have no concerns about my 2011 full rail .45 lasting while shooting .45. My only concern is if it can also handle the 10mm loads.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I will be adding a RIA Tactical 10 mm to my 1911 family this Christmas,it will be a gift from my daughter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts