1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the RIA GI bug for my 4th 1911. Anybody experiencing hammer bite? I have old man hands and my skin is getting loose... :bawling:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any GI type 1911 with the original pattern grip safety can bite your hands. However, you could usually fix that by bobbing your hammer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine's never bit me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
SANY0393.JPG

I've always had beavertails before. My RIA compact GI bites too. I wish I would have got the tactical. But mines been super reliable, feeds fmj, lrn and jhp just fine so far.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mine has never bitten me. My hands are rather thin, I guess. :) If it bites you, bite it back!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mine has never bitten me. My hands are rather thin, I guess. :) If it bites you, bite it back!

Your dentist will like you more! :biglaugh:

I've never got bitten by non-beavetailed 1911's either. But the common and least expensive fix for this is what folks had mentioned above.....bob that hammer! Then cold blue 'em.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
annnnd....don't misinterpret a sharp grip safety for hammer bite....here is what a grip safety that needs dehorning does to the web of the hand....in the exact same spot one might get hammer bite:

·
Registered
90 Posts
my RIA GI hasnt bit me yet im sure that hurt my friend has a Spring field that did that to him once but that was his fault for having the hand in the way of the hammer

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Congrads on your new blaster!

If it does bit you - one option is to convert to a commander round hammer and a notched grip safety. That works great for me on my mil spec pistols.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Huh, I've shot my dads Colt 1917 built GI, and my RIA .38 super with no problems, guess it depends on your hand shape?

/has piano hands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts