1911Forum banner

RIA Double Stack Q's ......

1649 1
First I was wondering if anyone had any pictures or specs on them. I cant seem to get the RIA website to work. Second, does anyone know if these frames are the standard single stack steel, or are they a lighter alloy? Im considering picking one up and making it into a 45 super, but I want to make sure the frame is standard steel so I wont have to worry about cracking it down the road. Also, what type of wide-body after market parts will fit? Thanks in advance for any info.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
747 Posts
MSU-Marksman said:
First I was wondering if anyone had any pictures or specs on them. I cant seem to get the RIA website to work. Second, does anyone know if these frames are the standard single stack steel, or are they a lighter alloy? Im considering picking one up and making it into a 45 super, but I want to make sure the frame is standard steel so I wont have to worry about cracking it down the road. Also, what type of wide-body after market parts will fit? Thanks in advance for any info.
I have one. Here's the answer to your questions:

1. I do not have any pics of mine, as it's torn apart while I change it from a standard 1911 configuration to a semi-tuned gun. The 1911 "widebody" is basically a standard GI 1911 slide with the ParaOrdnance style receiver.

2. They are the same cast steel as the standard single stacks and have the same Parkerized finish. They are NOT a lighter alloy.

3. This would be an ideal firearm to convert into a .45 super pistol. I'm of the opinion, based on the RIA pistols I've worked with and shot, their castings are very well made and plenty tough enough. BTW, I've worked with a bunch of them at this point, as the RIA's make a good basic for a semi custom pistol.

4. The gun's receiver is basically a copy of the most basic of Para Ordnance 1911 widebodies and their parts fit. I used a Para Ordnance P14 trigger for the trigger job I'm doing on my own. After inspecting all the other parts, I haven't replaced any other internal parts and only did the trigger because I wanted an adjustable, not a military style trigger. I found the other parts in the example I have of sufficient quality to use with a bit of polishing and tuning. I am putting an Ed Brown grip safety on, simply because I'm susceptible to hammer bite. Any standard 1911 slide parts will fit, so modify as per normal.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

Aces and Eights Custom Guns

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.