1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the early RIA guns had "non-standard" grip hole spacing and this was later corrected. Does anyone know an easy way to tell (by serial number or a measurement) if I have a gun with the standard or non-standard hole spacing? I'm not expert on the 1911 but the grips on my gun look about the same as all the other 1991's I see.

I would like to buy a "grip mount" scope base for my RIA full size (see http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43234) but I would like the thing to fit when I get it without drilling new holes. If I have to do hack work, I may as well buy one of the mounts that requires drilling the lower frame (dust cover by main spring).

thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what a bonehead:

I think that the early RIA guns had "non-standard" grip hole spacing and this was later corrected. Does anyone know an easy way to tell (by serial number or a measurement) if I have a gun with the standard or non-standard hole spacing? I'm not expert on the 1911 but the grips on my gun look about the same as all the other 1911's I see.

I would like to buy a "grip mount" scope base for my RIA full size (see http://www.1911forum.com/forums/sho...;threadid=43234) but I would like the thing to fit when I get it without drilling new holes. If I have to do hack work, I may as well buy one of the mounts that requires drilling the lower frame (dust cover by main spring).

thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi newguy, there is nothing wrong with the spacing of the grip screws, the problem was that the grip screws used an odd thread pattern and normal replacement screws didn't fit. it is an easy fix, just need to replace the grip buschings with standard 1911 units. if you don't want or need allen head screws there is no need to replace them.

Tim

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Bushings on my RIA were about half a millimeter too far apart (or too close together, I forget). Also, the distance between the top bushing and plunger tube was too tight. You can tell by taking another set or two of 1911 grips and seeing how well they fit your RIA.

Bought my RIA to fit grips but it just didn't work for that purpose. Became my favorite most accurate and reliable shooter however, so I'm very pleased anyway :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as a follow up message (for future reference by anyone with a Rock Island full sized):

I purchased the AimTech APM-7 from cheaper than dirt:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/...gid=&mscssid=N0XUHEJCTMBG9GJFRH2XP4TX208R98G5

The two grip screws lined up no problem, although the screws for the mainspring and hammer pins did not line up at all. I have no idea if the RIA is out of spec here or if the Aimtech is made for a different version of the gun (the box says "Govenrment Model .45 ACP" whatever version of 1911 that is). I mounted it anyway using only the two grip screws and it seems to mount solid and hold true. In one trip to the range I zeroed it and ran 200 rounds through it with no loosening up yet. We will see over time it I have problems with it. As this is just a fun gun for the range I will not mess with it any more unless it gives me a problem. I still think this is a better solution than the ones that drill into the frame by the main spring as it is easy to remove.

The factory sights are still usable under the mount.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Scooter .45 said:
Bushings on my RIA were about half a millimeter too far apart (or too close together, I forget). Also, the distance between the top bushing and plunger tube was too tight. You can tell by taking another set or two of 1911 grips and seeing how well they fit your RIA.
I had to do a bit of whittling to get some cheap rosewood grips from Brownell's to fit around the plunger tube of my RIA. The bushing fit is tight at the top and is slowly elongating the hole in the grip for the upper grip screw, so I assume the bushings are slightly too far apart. Half a millimeter sounds about right. This was only a problem on the left grip. The right grip fits normally.

Until I read your post, I wasn't sure if it was the grips that were off or the gun. Either way, I am quite pleased with both gun and grips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just put a set of McCormick Slim Checkered Rosewood grips on mine witout any problems. Everything I have heard referred to the bushing threads being non-standard.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The srews and spacing of the bushings on my RIA are standard,all plunger tubes and left side panels are not the same,grips off my Kimber would not fit between the spacing of the tube and bushing.Grips off my Baer fit perfect,the tube appears larger and more blocky to me than the Kimber.A little file work on the panel around the tube relief and they are on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts