1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rock Island M14Y

Called around to a couple of farm-supply places and located two Rock Island M14Ys at a Farm and Home near me. Drove down, picked out the one with the nice stock and bought it; $140 OTD. Pics below. The sales guy cleaned off almost all the packing oil that Armscor is infamous for putting on their guns.

Got it home, did some more detailed cleaning, measured the trigger pull. Averaged just north of 5#. Took the trigger group apart, replaced the trigger spring with a ballpoint pen spring, trigger pull now 2.0# - 2.25#, and very crisp. Also polished the trigger/sear interface surfaces ending with 1500 grit, and lightly oiled those places only. Left the rest of the TG dry. The bore got five wet and five dry patches, and the bolt got some Rem Oil. Put some blue Loctite on the thread protector so it wouldn't come loose. Checked the front sight screw, which was tight.

The bolt is nicely polished, and surprisingly so is the feed ramp.

I hope to break it in at work (indoor range) tomorrow with 100 rounds of various cheap ammo. Just gonna run the iron sights, and plan to come back the next day with a scope on it, and good ammo. The 12" LOP is no problem, and the gun is a nice weight due to the hardwood stock.

Should anyone else want to buy one of these and do trigger work, I can do a writeup for that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, back from the range after the break-in session. Very pleased with the results.

All shots taken at 40 feet with the iron sights. Numbers above the groups are the order they were shot. In some cases I tossed in boxes with just a few rounds in them, just to clean up my ammo pile a bit. Looks like 92 rounds shot. The ammo in blue will be shot again tomorrow. Comments below.
1. Federal Auto Match, first 10 rounds through the gun. Also bear in mind this was a clean bore, so a couple could be considered fouling/warming shots.
2. CCI SV, rounds 11 - 20.
3. Federal Target and Range, 13 rounds. Never been impressed with this ammo.
4. Fed Auto Match again, 15 rounds. One very low squib shot, not shown.
5. CCI Blazer, 15 rounds.
6. CCI Mini Mag 36 gr, 5 rounds only. Two 2-shot holes.
7. CCI AR Tactical, 11 rounds.
8. CCI SV, 13 rounds. Big improvement!

Tomorrow I go back and shoot with a Primary Arms Rimfire 6X scope at 75 feet, and with better ammo, of which I don't have a lot of--just odds and ends. I will shoot ten rounds of each ammo type.

There will be a third shoot after I get some more good ammo. But since it's a cheap gun, I want to find cheap, plentiful ammo it tends to like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks for the photographs and the shooting impressions.

The rifle sort of looks like the marriage of a Remington Model 514 and a Winchester Model 69A.

Is the ball point pen spring a reliable permanent fix?

Looks like a decent choice for a .22 rifle suitable for fun and frolic. I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers .22 rifles to have longer barrels. This one ought to suit most though.

The CCI Standard Velocity is a pretty reliable choice for decent accuracy.

Were you shooting off hand?

Will be interested to see results of your third shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the photographs and the shooting impressions.

The rifle sort of looks like the marriage of a Remington Model 514 and a Winchester Model 69A.

Is the ball point pen spring a reliable permanent fix? Yes. It's not actually a random spring from a ballpoint pen. It is stainless music wire. The company that makes them just calls them BP pen springs. I have used their springs in a couple of guns. I have more details if needed.

Looks like a decent choice for a .22 rifle suitable for fun and frolic. I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers .22 rifles to have longer barrels. This one ought to suit most though. It's a heavy gun for a walk in the woods. Better would be a nice light Rossi RB22, but this one probably will prove to be more accurate.

The CCI Standard Velocity is a pretty reliable choice for decent accuracy. Yeah, it's one of my go-tos, along with Mini Mag 36 grain for an HV round.

Were you shooting off hand? Oh heck no, I'm not that good! Front and rear bags.

Will be interested to see results of your third shoot.
Answers above. BTW I didn't shoot today due to time constraints, but will get to it tomorrow for sure.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Weight Unloaded
5 lbs / 2.27 kg

"It's a heavy gun for a walk in the woods."

I've never owned a .22 rifle that lightweight. I guess its a matter of perspective.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Weight Unloaded
5 lbs / 2.27 kg

"It's a heavy gun for a walk in the woods."

I've never owned a .22 rifle that lightweight. I guess its a matter of perspective.
Yeah, not too heavy actually, but the Rossi is 4 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pics with the Primary Arms 6X rimfire scope. With its short LOP, it's hard to put a long scope on it and have good eye relief without contorting your neck. In all my other rimfire rifle testing, I was using 12X @ 25 yards. I'll still take it out to 25, but it's not a completely apples/apples comparison.

I really wanted to put my 3-9X Leupold rimfire on it.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks proportioned for the rifle. Makes for a handy little rig.
Yes it is. Kinda shoots OK too. Here's 5 shots of Norma Match-22 using front and rear bags, at 25 yards with this scope.

The smallest 5-shot group I ever shot @ 25 yards was with my Savage Mk 1 bull barrel and a 12X scope. That was 0.13", so this is my second best.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The rest of the story.....

Pic 1
SK Pistol Match Special. Only had 6 rounds.
Lapua Pistol King. Only had 5 rounds.

Pic 2
Overall it did pretty well. I didn't shoot any lubers when changing brands of ammo, so I'm sure that is also reflected here.

Bought some more good ammo, so more targets will be coming.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, today's shooting. Tried out some better stuff. This time I shot 5 lubers whenever I changed brands. From some of the first groups of two, looks like I should have shot 10 lubers.

The results are about what I expected--OK but not great. The smallest groups were in the .27" - .30" range. Note that the SK PMS I shot yesterday was .20", about what I would expect from it. The PMS and Wolf Match Extra have consistently been the best-performing ammo in the great majority of my guns. I happen to be out of both, and my usual supplier (Graf and Sons) is out of the Wolf. Don't wanna pay shipping just for a couple of boxes of the SK, so that test will wait a bit.

Only one called flyer--the upper right hole in the first group of the SK Standard Plus. Forgot to mark it.

But I can see the trend--the Mk 1 is not going to be dethroned. I think what will happen is that the M14Y will beat all the other guns, though. This will be one of my bolt-action keepers, along with the Mk 1 and my lefty Savage 11 .223.

The rest of the ammo on this page will be shot on Saturday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Shot some more today; OK results again.

Federal Ultra Match, Federal Target, Gem Tech 42gr Match Subsonic, and Fiocchi HV.

Since the Fiocchi printed high, I used the same POA for the Fed. Target.

Still nothing is coming close to my one group of SK Pistol Match Special, which was .20" (.8 MOA). It seems that most good-performing ammo in this gun is coming in at around .35" @ 25 yards, with some in the .27" - .30" range.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The little .22 rifle's a "shootin' Jessie."

I also think that you are having more fun than the law allows.
It's certainly been well worth what I paid for it!

Stuck a small Limbsaver on the butt to increase LOP. Might be enough for my longer scopes now. If not, I can add length with wadded-up paper inside it.

Still gotta get better ammo though. Also gonna yank that trigger spring back out and cut it a coil or two to get the pull weight down to 1.5#. (I have several of these springs, in case I go to far.)

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did a little work on the gun today.

Increased LOP from 12.5" to 13.5" with the Limbsaver and a few folded pieces of paper. That allowed me to install my Vortex Crossfire II 6-18X, with good eye relief. Scope cost more than the gun! :) Still want to try out my $200 Leupold 3-9X with this gun, but it doesn't have AO like the Vortex does. The Vortex is the scope I have used on all my 22s, set at 12X and shot at 25 yards.

Also cut another coil off the replacement trigger spring to make it a bit lighter. Right at a crisp 2# now. I'll probably leave it at that. While I was in there, I took a few pics to show people how to replace the spring, and give 'em the general layout. Turns out only one pin needs to be removed from the TG to do this (I had been removing three pins).

Now off to the range!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Back from the range. Target at 25 yards, 12X, front and rear bags, 5-shot groups. "A" indicates ammo flyer, "F" indicates operator error.

Shot (from top to bottom on the target):
3. CCI Velocitor
4. Federal Target and Range
2. CCI Mini Mag 36gr
1. CCI SV
5. Lapua Center X
Number next to ammo is the order in which it was shot.

I expected the Federal to be laughable, and it didn't disappoint! :) I only shot three groups because I had no idea where those rounds would end up! I skipped a block so as to not interfere with the Mini Mag groups.

I was surprised the MM 36gr did so poorly. The Federal is also 36gr, so maybe this barrel prefers a 40gr bullet. I will have to experiment with MM 40gr, Gem Tech (42 gr), and Fiocchi (38gr).

Pic 2: SV and Center X both did well. Group of the day was Center X, not surprisingly, at 0.20"; as good as my one group previously of SK Pistol Match Special. The SK was shot with a 6X scope and fuzzy target, due to not having AO on the 6X scope. The SV is $6.50 for 100 and the Center X is $10.50 for 50. In practical, minute-of-squirrel-head terms, the SV is certainly holding its own.

On the far right in pic 1 are two splatter targets used for shooting 9 lubers of Federal and 10 of Center X. I think it's pretty obvious which is which.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I noticed that the trigger pull seems to have gone back up, to about 4#. So.....

.....today I replaced the sear/mag release spring. Went to Ace Hardware and found one in a lighter wire gauge (.028" vs the stock .032") that was the right diameter and twice the length. Bought two just in case (75 cents apiece). Bin #150, part # 540449. Cut it with my Dremel and a tiny diamond cutoff wheel. The one I used was cut about a coil shorter than the stock spring. And being shorter and lighter gauge, it was easier to install than the stock one. Trigger pull is now 2.5#. The mag catch still engages the mag with sufficient security, but is easier to release; a pleasant change.

Here is what I plan to shoot Monday. Also gonna order some of the really good stuff this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Fun ongoing thread here. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Yeah, I'm having fun with it too. Once I find the best ammo for the gun, I will have a good idea of its potential. Already I know it's a 0.8 MOA gun, and suspect it will consistently do that once I get its favorite ammo into it.

At a gun store today I was looking at the CZ 457 trainer ($420); very nice.....surely it will outshoot this gun, and with a larger variety of ammo. But I'm thinking perhaps not by a great amount. Might still pick up a Trainer or the Lux and see for myself. Gonna be hard to justify 3X the price tho, given how the M14Y shoots.....

.....besides, with this I can go to the range and say "Aw, this is just a cheap little gun I got to play with." And then proceed to shoot one-hole groups. No way could you look all that impressive with a CZ--everyone knows they're good. :) This thing is one serious sleeper!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, even though it is a pretty decent looking rifle for the money, you have "modded" it out to the point where it shoots like a rifle costing five times as much. Good job.

BTW, I never even heard of that make of .22 before....I need to look that one up!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts