1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very pleased with the several RIA 1911 pistols that I have purchased over the last few years. Recently, I had my gun shop order me a new Pro Match Ultra Hi Cap in .40 S and W. I have 300 rounds of factory ball through the thing. I’m experiencing FTRB issues about one round through every magazine. The cartridges are hitting the top of the chamber and going in, but sticking at an angle with the casing rim still down under the extractor. I tested the extractor tension and it was way too heavy. The extractor had so much tension that it was difficult to remove from the slide, and brass was being worn off of the casings and building up on the side of the breach face. A return trip to the range showed some promise but I still had a few failures to go into battery out of a hundred rounds of test firing. I also believe the recoil spring is too light as casings are going into outer space. I ordered a 18.5 recoil spring from Wolfe, and I am going to continue tinkering before giving up and sending it to Hayes Custom for a good domestic makeover. I’m not very pleased with this purchase. At 900.00 it was more than even my pro match 45 and the fitting is poor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
3,881 Posts
I'd resist the urge to over spring. Factory RIA springs are cheap but not good, so replace them with a quality spring before you get too far off the reservation. I recommend a Wolff 14# standard (straight rate) recoil spring for ammo 175PF or less.

Replace your recoil spring and fix your extractor issues before moving on.

Next, check your mag(s) for feedlip dimensions.
I try for ~.385” at the front of the feedlips and ~.380 at the rear. Adjust the feedlips based on the desired high/low presentation in your individual pistol with OAL you use. I reload a longer OAL, but you can adjust for factory 1.135" also.

· Registered
2,459 Posts
. The extractor had so much tension that it was difficult to remove from the slide,. A return trip to the range showed some promise
So, did you adjust the extractor ?

If you did not then do it, and if you did then bend it back a little further, all you need is a little drag of the extractor hook on the rim.

· Premium Member
10,010 Posts
See if feeding smooths out consistently without the extractor. The extractor should be tuned as well as receiving a tension adjustment. One can adjust valves in an engine all day long…but if the valve is not faced correctly, there will be no good derived from the adjustment.

Using a heavy recoil spring to force feeding masks issues that will resurface.

· Registered
381 Posts
What yeti said. Hitting high means you need tighter feed lips. Make them a bit too tight so it hits low and then force feed rounds through it to open them up to where they need to be. I wouldn't mess with the extractor aside from cleaning the channel. At least not until you know your mags are perfect.

· Registered
3,637 Posts
So, did you adjust the extractor ?

If you did not then do it, and if you did then bend it back a little further, all you need is a little drag of the extractor hook on the rim.
@Medallion is the extractor set up so that the
  1. edge of the extractor claw presses against the flat area of the case immediately ahead of the case rim or . . .

2. is it set up so that the extractor's tensioning wall presses against the edge of the case rim?

· Premium Member
7,290 Posts
"What yeti said. Hitting high means you need tighter feed lips. Make them a bit too tight so it hits low and then force feed rounds through it to open them up to where they need to be. I wouldn't mess with the extractor aside from cleaning the channel. At least not until you know your mags are perfect."

I don't agree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts