1911Forum banner

RIA Tac Ultra FS HC 9mm (51679) - first shots

2700 Views 21 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  StuartV
I received a new Rock Island Armory (Armscor) Tac Ultra FS HC 9mm almost 3 weeks ago. Model 51679. I finally got to shoot it today. I used the mag that came with it plus 4 additional mags that appear to be identical to the factory mag, which I got from Advanced Tactical. I mention that because I had read a number of posts where the mags for this pistol were hard-to-impossible to find. I reckon that must have changed... But I digress...

I stripped it and lubed it good when I put it back together, then took it out to shoot.

Out of the box, the slide cycles VERY smoothly. It is SLICK. Slide to frame fit is pretty tight, but not $5000 custom gun tight. I can wiggle it just a tiny bit. But the barrel fit to the slide is very tight. No wiggle in the bushing or at the breech when locked up.

I put about 200 rounds through it today and had exactly zero issues of any type. I shot 100 rounds of Igman 124gr FMJ and 100 rounds of cheap remanufactured 115gr FMJ. The gun ate it all without a hiccup and was very accurate.

After all that, I just measured the trigger pull. 4 # 12oz, on a 5-pull average from my Wheeler digital gauge.

The trigger is very nice. Short takeup, very clean break, and very short reset. As you'd expect from any quality, mass-produced 1911. I want it to be lighter, but otherwise, the trigger is very good.

I know some won't like the fact that the adjustable rear sight has white dots. That didn't bother me and the green fiber optic front was very easy to pick up.

The gun is definitely a CHUNK. I mean, it is heavy. And fat. I'm 6' 1" and have large-ish hands. I liked it just fine, but someone with smaller hands may or may not. But, with all that weight, the gun is VERY pleasant to shoot and controllable.

One thing I thought was kinda funny is the mags. They say the mags are 17 rounds. But, it appeared that they are actually 18. It has holes on the back of the mag. I was able to fit 18 rounds in all of them and the last hole at the bottom of the mag did not show a round in the hole until it had 18 in it. The gun had no issues feeding, even from a mag with 18 in it, so.... not really sure why they advertise it as 17+1 capacity.

I got Taylor Freelance +4 base pads for all my mags. 22 rounds per should be nice!

I'll be ordering a holster and I think this will be my new USPSA Limited gun. I am looking forward to that!
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
does your RIA "17" round magazines lock the slide back with the taylor freelance +4 extensions installed? My RIA doesnt lock the slide back and im looking at buying some new springs from MBX to fix the issue. I just dont know which one to buy. MBX Extreme At the bottom theres springs for 141mm. but they have so many selections.
I don’t know yet. I haven’t installed the TF base pads yet.
Are you sure you want to lock the slide back on the last round ? There is a possibility that you can bend the ejector when you slam a full mag in with the slide back. The ejector is long. Many including myself do not want the slide locking back on my competition guns, Just something to think about.
Are you sure you want to lock the slide back on the last round ? There is a possibility that you can bend the ejector when you slam a full mag in with the slide back. The ejector is long. Many including myself do not want the slide locking back on my competition guns, Just something to think about.
Are you talking about double stack race guns? Your concern is definitely valid on single stack guns. But, one double stacks, doesn't the taper over the top of the mag prevent it from over-inserting to the point of damaging the ejector?

Also, even with single stack guns, if you have a base pad that prevent over-insertion, then you won't have that problem.

I haven't installed the TF base pads on my Rock mags yet, but the very similar TF base pads on my Canik mags definitely prevent any possibility of over-insertion.

I asked one of my USPSA Master friends why he doesn't want his race gun to lock back. He said it was because of the possibility of having it lock back some time when it shouldn't. A very unlikely, very rare thing on a double stack race gun, I think.
If you remove the slide and insert a mag with a bullet on top, you will see how close it is to the ejector. If you do a hard reload and the top bullets hits the ejector it can get bent. I have filed the bottom edge of ejectors if the bullet touches. I never worry about it locking back prematurely. I file the follower on my mags so they miss the slide stop. You get used to counting your shots in competitions.
If the base pads eliminate the possibility of hitting the ejector, then you should be fine. When shooting uspsa you don't want to have to rack the slide. You want to reload before the mag is empty.
If you remove the slide and insert a mag with a bullet on top, you will see how close it is to the ejector. If you do a hard reload and the top bullets hits the ejector it can get bent. I have filed the bottom edge of ejectors if the bullet touches. I never worry about it locking back prematurely. I file the follower on my mags so they miss the slide stop. You get used to counting your shots in competitions.
If the base pads eliminate the possibility of hitting the ejector, then you should be fine. When shooting uspsa you don't want to have to rack the slide. You want to reload before the mag is empty.
If you count your rounds and never shoot your gun dry, then why do you care if it WOULD like back if you did shoot it dry?

And yes, I have shot a few USPSA matches. I am aware of how it works.

And, there are also times when I might run my gun dry - on purpose. For example, I have a big space to move through after exactly all the rounds in my gun. I shoot it dry, rather than spend time reloading when it might slow me down. Then, reload as I'm running a longer distance.

Regardless, if my gun goes dry because I planned my stage that way, or if it goes dry because I took one or more makeup shots that I didn't originally plan for, or it goes dry because I had a misfire and cleared a round that didn't go off, why is it better to have the slide close after the last round? IF (IF, mind you), the gun runs dry, isn't it quicker to pull it back just a little and let it go than to have to pull it all the way back and let it go? Or just hit the slide release, instead of having to actually rack it from fully closed?
See less See more
does your RIA "17" round magazines lock the slide back with the taylor freelance +4 extensions installed? My RIA doesnt lock the slide back and im looking at buying some new springs from MBX to fix the issue. I just dont know which one to buy. MBX Extreme At the bottom theres springs for 141mm. but they have so many selections.
I just installed the TF base pads (with the included Arredondo inserts). I have not shot with them yet.

The mags actually held 18 rounds before. Now, all 5 mags hold 22 rounds. I loaded each one with 22 rounds, then cleared them all by hand. I did not insert loaded mags in the pistol. But, I did also insert each empty mag and they all went in and seated just fine. So, I am fully expecting the pistol to shoot reliably now with 22+1 capacity.

Oh, and with an empty mag inserted - with the +4 base pad installed - when I pull the slide back, it locks open. No GUARANTEE it will work the same in live fire... but, I think it will.
If the mags that you are using cannot be over inserted then you should not have a problem. The mags I am using could be over inserted. This is a way to prevent possibly hitting the ejector with the top round.I realize there are times when you might run the gun dry, misses, mis counting your shots, ect. That is why I don't want the slide locking back.
If the mags that you are using cannot be over inserted then you should not have a problem. The mags I am using could be over inserted. This is a way to prevent possibly hitting the ejector with the top round.I realize there are times when you might run the gun dry, misses, mis counting your shots, ect. That is why I don't want the slide locking back.
So, you're saying that the reason you don't want the slide to lock back is because your mags can be over-inserted and that (over-insertion) could cause a problem?

Why don't you fix your stuff, so mags can't be over-inserted? I mean, wouldn't the result be faster, for the times when you do run the gun dry?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. I'm genuinely trying to understand the reasoning. I am very opening to learning something that would show me a better way to do things than how I am now. I shoot USPSA, but I am far from top shelf at it. Solid C class...
I might get some different mags. I didn't know that with the +4 extensions the mag couldn't be over inserted. I had some sti 140 mags from another gun. There is a space between the dawson base pad and the magwell.
I received the tapped mag releases today. They fit great. I'm pretty sure they are tapped 5-40. I had 2 different size buttons on hand and the larger fit. If you or anyone you know needs one let me know. I bought several.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Here is a picture of one in my gun and a extra one next to it.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
View attachment 664139
Here is a picture of one in my gun and a extra one next to it.
Where are those mag releases from? I intend to use my Tac in IDPA and want a longer mag release...
I just installed the TF base pads (with the included Arredondo inserts). I have not shot with them yet.

The mags actually held 18 rounds before. Now, all 5 mags hold 22 rounds. I loaded each one with 22 rounds, then cleared them all by hand. I did not insert loaded mags in the pistol. But, I did also insert each empty mag and they all went in and seated just fine. So, I am fully expecting the pistol to shoot reliably now with 22+1 capacity.

Oh, and with an empty mag inserted - with the +4 base pad installed - when I pull the slide back, it locks open. No GUARANTEE it will work the same in live fire... but, I think it will.
what exactly does the arredondo inserts do ? I installed my TF's w/o it and they cycled fine.
I received a new Rock Island Armory (Armscor) Tac Ultra FS HC 9mm almost 3 weeks ago. Model 51679. I finally got to shoot it today. I used the mag that came with it plus 4 additional mags that appear to be identical to the factory mag, which I got from Advanced Tactical. I mention that because I had read a number of posts where the mags for this pistol were hard-to-impossible to find. I reckon that must have changed... But I digress...

I stripped it and lubed it good when I put it back together, then took it out to shoot.

Out of the box, the slide cycles VERY smoothly. It is SLICK. Slide to frame fit is pretty tight, but not $5000 custom gun tight. I can wiggle it just a tiny bit. But the barrel fit to the slide is very tight. No wiggle in the bushing or at the breech when locked up.

I put about 200 rounds through it today and had exactly zero issues of any type. I shot 100 rounds of Igman 124gr FMJ and 100 rounds of cheap remanufactured 115gr FMJ. The gun ate it all without a hiccup and was very accurate.

After all that, I just measured the trigger pull. 4 # 12oz, on a 5-pull average from my Wheeler digital gauge.

The trigger is very nice. Short takeup, very clean break, and very short reset. As you'd expect from any quality, mass-produced 1911. I want it to be lighter, but otherwise, the trigger is very good.

I know some won't like the fact that the adjustable rear sight has white dots. That didn't bother me and the green fiber optic front was very easy to pick up.

The gun is definitely a CHUNK. I mean, it is heavy. And fat. I'm 6' 1" and have large-ish hands. I liked it just fine, but someone with smaller hands may or may not. But, with all that weight, the gun is VERY pleasant to shoot and controllable.

One thing I thought was kinda funny is the mags. They say the mags are 17 rounds. But, it appeared that they are actually 18. It has holes on the back of the mag. I was able to fit 18 rounds in all of them and the last hole at the bottom of the mag did not show a round in the hole until it had 18 in it. The gun had no issues feeding, even from a mag with 18 in it, so.... not really sure why they advertise it as 17+1 capacity.

I got Taylor Freelance +4 base pads for all my mags. 22 rounds per should be nice!

I'll be ordering a holster and I think this will be my new USPSA Limited gun. I am looking forward to that!
Magazine with little extra room will tend to be more reliable. Just because .380ACP Makarov can hold 9 instead of 8 (mags are designed for 9x18) does not mean magazine should be loaded to 9 rounds.🙆 I do not use mag extensions since I had mag dump when my Glock fell to the floor. Just another thing to go wrong.
One way to help minimize stoppages is to use good range ammo. For 9x19 that is NATO ball. One example is Winchester 9mm Service Grade. Do not use inexpensive ammo loaded to minimum ie 115gr @<1200fps, for example. This will limit famous Glock limp wristing.🤣
what exactly does the arredondo inserts do ? I installed my TF's w/o it and they cycled fine.
I am not positive. I think they are meant to prevent some problem that MAY happen when you stuff the mag to max capacity.
A little update.

I watched the Atlas Gun Works video on tuning the sear spring. Then... I tuned my sear spring.

Before: Consistent trigger pull just a hair over 5#. That is based on a 5-pull average using my digital Wheeler gauge. That is a few ounces higher than I reported before. I attribute that to the gun being pretty "dry" last night when I tested it.

After: Consistent (+/- 2 oz) at 3# 4oz.

That is with no changes except for adjusting the sear spring.

I am really looking forward to shooting it now. Maybe this afternoon. I have not shot the gun a lot yet, so I'm hoping it will break in some and, between that and being properly lubed, settle in somewhere around 2.5 - 2.75#.

I also installed the Hayes Custom mag release extension, and a pair of VZ-lookalike grips that I got from AT.

For anyone that may follow in my footsteps:

- the pin that holds the mag well and mainspring housing is actually 2 pieces. You have to push them both out to get the mag well off and remove the MSH. On reassembly, it worked really well to get the MSH in position and push the first part of the pin into just that to hold it in place. Then put the mag well on (which was a bitch and required some light hammering) and push the second part of the pin in, which will push the first part on through. In the end, each part of the pin is partly in the MSH and partly in just the mag well holes.

- You have to remove the slide to get the ambi part of the thumb safety off and on. It has a thin flange that goes through a tiny slot in the hammer pin, which holds the ambi safety so it can't come out. Once the main thumb safety (left side) is removed, with the slide off, you rotate the ambi part up until it's out of the slot in that pin, then it just pulls out. Reinstallation is the same, but that hammer pin likes to turn when the safety is removed, so reinstallation can involve using some needlenose pliers or something to turn that pin to get its slot oriented just right to let the ambi rotate down and fit back into the slot. Figuring all that out so I could get the whole thumb safety reinstalled last night - especially with my old man eyes - took me a while last night. Such a pain, when you don't know how it works!

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
See less See more
A little update.

I watched the Atlas Gun Works video on tuning the sear spring. Then... I tuned my sear spring.

Before: Consistent trigger pull just a hair over 5#. That is based on a 5-pull average using my digital Wheeler gauge. That is a few ounces higher than I reported before. I attribute that to the gun being pretty "dry" last night when I tested it.

After: Consistent (+/- 2 oz) at 3# 4oz.

That is with no changes except for adjusting the sear spring.

I am really looking forward to shooting it now. Maybe this afternoon. I have not shot the gun a lot yet, so I'm hoping it will break in some and, between that and being properly lubed, settle in somewhere around 2.5 - 2.75#.

I also installed the Hayes Custom mag release extension, and a pair of VZ-lookalike grips that I got from AT.

For anyone that may follow in my footsteps:

- the pin that holds the mag well and mainspring housing is actually 2 pieces. You have to push them both out to get the mag well off and remove the MSH. On reassembly, it worked really well to get the MSH in position and push the first part of the pin into just that to hold it in place. Then put the mag well on (which was a bitch and required some light hammering) and push the second part of the pin in, which will push the first part on through. In the end, each part of the pin is partly in the MSH and partly in just the mag well holes.

- You have to remove the slide to get the ambi part of the thumb safety off and on. It has a thin flange that goes through a tiny slot in the hammer pin, which holds the ambi safety so it can't come out. Once the main thumb safety (left side) is removed, with the slide off, you rotate the ambi part up until it's out of the slot in that pin, then it just pulls out. Reinstallation is the same, but that hammer pin likes to turn when the safety is removed, so reinstallation can involve using some needlenose pliers or something to turn that pin to get its slot oriented just right to let the ambi rotate down and fit back into the slot. Figuring all that out so I could get the whole thumb safety reinstalled last night - especially with my old man eyes - took me a while last night. Such a pain, when you don't know how it works!

View attachment 667571
it's looking better and better !
thank you for this... it'll be handy for me in the future...
I loaded each one with 22 rounds, then cleared them all by hand. I did not insert loaded mags in the pistol. But, I did also insert each empty mag and they all went in and seated just fine. So, I am fully expecting the pistol to shoot reliably now with 22+1 capacity.
It is possible to cram in enough rounds that there is not enough slack to load under a closed slide for a +1 start or speed reload. Or maybe just little enough slack that it takes a hard push to seat, which can cause a blown reload when you are in a hurry.

You will find out soon, before a match, preferably.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts