1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know why the rib the barrel of a shot gun, heat disapation. I saw a FEG 9 this weekend and it has a ribbed barrel. Why?
Function?
desirable feature?
supposed to look cool?
John

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
More functions than heat in a shotgun

Notice the trap guns have higher ribs than most shotguns - this has much more to do with sightline than heat - a single barrel trap gun has the whole squad shooting to cool off and no potential for rapid fire though heatwaves off the barrel can be distracting.

Notice there are plenty of solid ribs on shotguns and plenty of ventilated ribs and some ventilated ribs are floating to allow for differential expansion between the rib and the barrel. Notice also the Python many Dan Wessons and some other revolvers are ribbed to include using the rib as a scope mount.

In the example you cite I don't suppose the rib has any more function than streamlining a vacuum cleaner for high mach numbers but I really don't know.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The Colt Python started the vent rib on pistols craze, and everyone copied Colt's heavy ribbed and lugged barrel as closely as they could get away with.

Some people think the Python's barrel was vented to "cut down on haze" in target shooting.

The truth is, the first prototype had an un-vented barrel, but the two or three men doing the prototype thought it was slightly too barrel heavy.

So, they hollowed out the lower lug in front of the ejector rod, and started cutting vents.
When they got to three vents in the rib, they all agreed it balanced just right.

Later in the 1950's, the hollowed lower lug was changed to solid to cut production time.

Many other guns have copied the Colt vents, but most of them do so simply for cosmetic reasons.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Call me kooky, but I kinda like the FEG with the vent rib. :)

If I had an HP collection, I'd definitely want one in it.

And yeah, nothing like a Colt Python. One of Colt's best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.