1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a bolt gun guy, but my wife’s uncle passed and she found this. Any idea as to what it is (specifically) would be appreciated
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Typewriter Automotive exterior Wood Trigger

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
They're really neat rifles with extremely smooth actions. I've only handled one or two in the back "used rifle" room of my old dealer's shop. The smoothness rivals that of the Mannlicher Schoenauer. What both rifles share in common is that the top of the rear of the receiver is cut out to guide the top of the bolt through. It's great if you don't need a solid scope mounting platform.

·
Registered
Small primers forever!
2,916 Posts
Yeah, I just looked around at it:

Looks to me like you either:
  1. Shoot as is
  2. Sell it
  3. Rechamber for something lighter you'd enjoy

·
Registered
23,151 Posts
Rechamber to something lighter?
I can't think what, short of wildcat neckdowns of the .30-40 case.
Some target and varmint hunters had the magazine milled off for a bolt action single shot in about any rimmed cartridge of the same or smaller rim diameter.
Bring a cubic yard of money.

Present form is as good an iron sight hunting rifle as any, short of big Safari guns.

·
Registered
Small primers forever!
2,916 Posts
Rechamber to something lighter?
I can't think what, short of wildcat neckdowns of the .30-40 case.
Some target and varmint hunters had the magazine milled off for a bolt action single shot in about any rimmed cartridge of the same or smaller rim diameter.
Bring a cubic yard of money.

Present form is as good an iron sight hunting rifle as any, short of big Safari guns.
22 [K] Hornet and others, cuz I looked around and that's the only direction changes went: smaller..

·
Registered
Small primers forever!
2,916 Posts
Up until I moved from Montana, 4 years ago. All the GSs and ammo shops usually had at least a couple boxes of 30 40 Krag on the shelves just about anywhere you looked. and people still hunted with it.
Yeah. The stuff i found on line suggested 30-06 was much preferred, but there were plenty of old K-J's still used to get their deer and elk.

·
Registered
23,151 Posts
22 [K] Hornet and others, cuz I looked around and that's the only direction changes went: smaller..
Yes, but as I said, it would be as a single shot, the complex Krag magazine is not as readily convertible for different size cartridges as a box magazine.
It would be a big project these days, gunsmiths are no longer used to working on them.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
OMG I would love to come across an old Krag. I would slug the bore and shoot appropriately sized cast bullets exclusively. 1800-2000 fps with a 210 bullet would be a blast and don't sell it short as a BG rifle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Use to see these rifles at local gun shows all the time for sale. I remember Gun Smith's liked the action to rechamber and build into a custom rifle.

Great looking rifle you have there.

38superman

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
Its a nice gunsmith conversion. Take it to a gunsmith and have him verify the actual chambering in case it has been converted. Once checked out for safety/condition and proof-fired, I would probably re-blue it and work that stock. I'd like to see it as-new since its not collectible. It could become your favorite rifle.
On the stock, I would strip it, stain it, and then do a hand-rubbed finish with "Arrow Stock Finish'. The receiver/action area would probably be black oxide with a polished blue barrel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Army didn't waste any time getting rid of the Krag after going against the Mauser rifle during the Spanish American war. The resulting 1903 Springfield was a close copy of the Mauser system.
I wouldn't change anything on that rifle. It is a very good example of a period sporter. Someone put in a lot work adding the pistol grip.

·
Premium Member
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info. It’s not mine, belonged to the wife’s uncle, and the father-in-law was curious as to what it was. Sounds like they’re picking through the guns they want to keep and then selling the remainder off via consignment.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have to love the Krags. Most of them were cut down and sporterized by the wholesaler - Bannerman IIRC. The first Krags were 1892 models but by the end of their run, they were all updated to the 1896 variant. Maybe not as handy to load as the Mauser's stripper clips were and certainly didn't have the 7.92x57 punch. But it is a fine weapon and was vastly popular with post war hunters. When cut down to carbine length they handled well, the magazine could be topped off easily, they are wonderfully accurate and had enough power with the 220 grain bullet to take virtually anything North America could throw at it. As mentioned, it only has a single locking lug and is only case hardened so it's not one you want to push the envelope with pressure. I have found that shooting these with current iterations of factory ammo (if you can find it) is not fun and does not express the inherent accuracy of such a well built firearm. Loaded more reasonably with 180 grain bullets, the old girls can be MOA or better consistent. Terrific rifles for having fun at the range or as a first rate deer gun. Definitely an underappreciated firearm in the modern era.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've seen them chambered in 6.5 Sweed too, and as previously said, the action should operate like it's got a whole cube of HOT melted butter on it!, they are NEAT old rifles!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts