1911Forum banner

rifle scope

1136 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  DogBreath
i am in the process of buying a low power scope and not sure which to pick, i know neither one will go wrong but anyone has a favor over the other? they are leupold vxIII 1.5-6x20 ill, nikon monarch gold 1.5-6x42, bushnell 4200 firefly 1.5-6x36 and burris xtr 1.5-6x40 ill. thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,639 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a Leupold, top quality optics, Nikon is a close runner-up. Unless you want to go ape crazy and spend$$$$$ on a Zeiss or swarovski(sp?) If your looking for a good optic for a very reasonable price look at the simmons Aetec line. I have owned a few and not one complaint from me. Some of my rigs have Leupolds, others have Aetecs, I favor the Leupolds for low light performance and clarity, but they're also double the price. Depends on what your going to be doing and how much you want to spend. Good luck!

· Registered
409 Posts
Weaver K Series

If a fixed power scope would suite your needs the Weaver K series (2.5, 4 and 6X) are a great scope at a very reasonable price. I have atop my Marlin Guide Gun and haven't had the slightest problems with the scope. Good luck and hope you find what you want.

· Registered
719 Posts
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4 power scope on one of my rifles and find it to be and excellent scope. Fixed power scopes are also cheaper then variable scopes. I use it for hunting in mostly wooded areas with some shots in open pastures to 250 yards or so. I have not needed anything more in these situations. If you plan on using it for shooting at smaller targets I would get a 3x9 powered scope.

· Registered
993 Posts
sammy said:
i am in the process of buying a low power scope and not sure which to pick, i know neither one will go wrong but anyone has a favor over the other? they are leupold vxIII 1.5-6x20 ill, nikon monarch gold 1.5-6x42, bushnell 4200 firefly 1.5-6x36 and burris xtr 1.5-6x40 ill. thanks.
While all those are nice scopes , the Leupold has the widest field of view , is the most waterproof , and has the best gaurantee by far . It's a Lifetime Guarantee to whoever has it in their possession at the time , regardless of who bought it originally . They'll rebuild it or replace it at their option. To me the choice is clear...Tom

· Registered
685 Posts
Scope choice is like Fords vs Chevys. I can't afford the likes of Ziess and Swaravski. I can buy a couple of rifles for the price of one of those. So in my price range, I will only buy optics made in the USA or Japan. They make the best optics in my price range, in my opinion. Therefore, I have Leupold, Burris, Bushnell 3200 and 4200, and Weaver Grand Slam. I have had bad experiences with optics made in China, Tiawan, Korea and the Phillipines. While I have looked at Nikon, that's where they are made. The same for Tasco, Simmons, and a whole host of others. To each, his own!

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I have four VXIII Leupold scopes, from 1.5-5 to a 6.5x20 and they have all done exactly what they are supposed to do, for a very long time, and a lot of high-power shooting. The 1.5-5 is found on my hunting rifle, and is a nice little, lightweight scope. Both it and my 1.75x6 (also on a hunting rifle) are a bit surprising for the uninitiated to look through at the lowest power, as you can see the barrel through the scope. IMHO, these offer as much power as is needed for most hunting. The heavy duplex reticle is not very good for shooting small targets, but really good for something with fur, especially in the dusk, dawn and dark woods. I had my HD reticle replaced (by Leupold) with a German #4, which is a good compromise between the heavy and fine duplex reticle.

I would recommend Leupold as a fine scope maker, and the lower power VXIII's as good all-around hunting scopes.

C

· Registered
705 Posts
I've had most of the brands listed, After spending countless dollars on high dollar scopes, I changed my purchasing habbits. The optics are great anymore on most mid-grade scopes that are fully multi-coated, single construction steel tubes and have strong internal springs. The high dollar scopes break the same as the cheap ones. I prefer the high end Leupolds, however their buckmaster, XI, XII & XIII are not much better than Burris, Nikon and the like.
My latest scope is the Burris FFII 4.5X14X42. Optics are as good as the Luepolds I mentioned, and better than most scopes costing more. For the savings in money, compared with the performance, you cant go wrong with Burris, nikon. I have heard Mueller has a nice scope out, however I have not owned that brand. Also, I picked up a SuperSniper 14X a year ago, and they seem to be pretty good also.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/GunDog44/sav001.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.