1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local club reopened last Saturday with some Covid-19 related restrictions, 1/2 of the firing lines open due to distancing, max 45 minutes per shooter with reservation. Still felt great to be back at it

I took my two Swiss ordnance rifles, the Stgw 57 & 90

Military ammo

The GP11 (7.5 X 55 mm) is a great cartridge; it launches a .306 projectile weighting 174 gr at 2560 ft/s. The GP 90 is the Swiss version of the 5.56 X 45 mm NATO with a 63 gr projectile at 2989 ft/s

Here’s my shooting buddy trying out the Stgw 90

I shot 30 rounds in 10 shot strings with each weapon, best score of the day with each one

I am more of a handgun guy, but I intend to shoot more rifles this year and improve if I can get enough trigger time

·
Registered
73 Posts
As much as I love this country and our freedom, there is no reason I shouldn't be out there with my M16A2 I was issued in the Marine Corps, next to a 70 something Vietnam vet shooting his M14.

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
I will assume that you are using iron sights by choice.

Or is there another reason why you have not put glass on those rifles?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I love this country and our freedom, there is no reason I shouldn't be out there with my M16A2 I was issued in the Marine Corps, next to a 70 something Vietnam vet shooting his M14.

I feel for you. Here I’m shooting my XM 177 E2 in full auto

·
Administrator
74,696 Posts
Military style shooting and competitions are open sights only with ordnance weapons, a long tradition of Swiss marksmanship and militia army
I agree that a true marksman should be able to shoot using traditional iron sights and not rely on an optic all the time. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere that I can shoot past 100 yards so I have no clue how well I could shoot at longer distances. Given that my eyeballs aren't what they used to be, probably not too well.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
OP: Thank You for the pictures and information! I found it very interesting!
Your range looks fantastic.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Military style shooting and competitions are open sights only with ordnance weapons, a long tradition of Swiss marksmanship and militia army
Unfortunately for us, it seems we've drifted too far away from marksmanship and too deep into dependence on optics of some sort. I know folks who've never used irons.... on any rifle! For me, I can't bring myself to put glass on a battle rifle. Perhaps one day I'll have to, but until then, I prefer the classic lines and the balance. :)

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
For me it all depends on the sights/rifle I am shooting.

I agree that a true marksman should be able to shoot using traditional iron sights and not rely on an optic all the time. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere that I can shoot past 100 yards so I have no clue how well I could shoot at longer distances. Given that my eyeballs aren't what they used to be, probably not too well.
At 62 my eyes are not what they once were either. I can still do pretty good with my military rifles, Garands, M-1 carbines and such. I have the hardest time with my handguns.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Looks like a fun time.
How are you seeing your hits? Are you seeing your hits between shots?
I can and have shot 200 yds with irons but your shooting hits (ie, a steel plate) not necessarily groups.

Btw, I’ll take my optics...much more fun...:)

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Looks like a fun time.
How are you seeing your hits? Are you seeing your hits between shots?
I can and have shot 200 yds with irons but your shooting hits (ie, a steel plate) not necessarily groups.
From his previous posts I believe his range has an electronic scoring system that displays them on a screen next to the shooter.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Classic12. I’ve been wanting to get Target vision setup for longer range shooting at my club. Makes life easier.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I am more of a handgun guy, but I intend to shoot more rifles this year and improve if I can get enough trigger time
I'm also looking to get more time on rifles this year since I've moved to an area with access to a rifle range with targets up to 2000 yards. I haven't shot further than 300 yards with my bolt guns, but I plan to take some instruction and learn to shoot further distances. Recently, I wanted to get away from the static shooting in a stall and have been taking gunfighting classes using handguns. The training is good with a lot of emphasis on drawing from concealment and shooting multiple targets while moving and reloading.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts