1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering getting my daughter a 22LR rifle for Christmas to compete in the steel matches I attend. She will need a rifle that is light to hold for shooting the 6 stages. It needs to hold 10 rounds, short barrel, reliable and be able to allow for an optical site to be put on. She would most likely want a traditional looking style since she is in her upper teens. Looking for a rifle that is very accurate and made well.

I have seen some Rugers at the matches but not much of anything else. I hear they are good but not sure if that is the best choice or not. CZ has a model 512 and Mossberg has a 702 model that look nice but I don't know how good they would be for steel. Are there any other rifles I should consider?

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/

https://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-autoloading-rimfire-international-plinkster-702-22/37150

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
For a dedicated Steel challenge rifle I'd get a 10/22 carbine, replace the stock with something lighter and more ergonomic, put a dot on it, get 3 25 rd magazines and call it good.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
For a dedicated Steel challenge rifle I'd get a 10/22 carbine, replace the stock with something lighter and more ergonomic, put a dot on it, get 3 25 rd magazines and call it good.
+1 to the 10/22 suggestion. In addition I would replace the stock barrel with a PWS T3 tension barrel and maybe the Volquartsen trigger kit. Extremely light weight yet accurate to make it quick on the transitions. C-More redot sight with an Achin mount, and you are good to go for many bricks of shooting.

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
A 10/22 or a M&P AR-15 22 will work just fine

I would lean towards the smith with the adjustable stock.

I am a small fish in the Steel Challenge world, but I really enjoy my Smith.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a look at the 10/22 and the MP 15-22. The 10/22 by Ruger is ok, similar in looks to the Mossberg 702. The MP 15-22 if I am looking at the right one looks too tactical.

Is there a specific reason why the 10/22 is used for steel more then other brands?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
10/22's have great after market support. There are a ton of companies out there that make after market barrels, trigger groups, stocks, small parts etc... for customizing them to your hearts content. They are also (or normally are) readily available in stores ranging from Mom&Pop local gunstores to big box stores such as Walmart...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A range in a nearby city has a 10/22 for rental so stopping by there this evening to try one out. I will be in the area so this will work out well. This evening is ladies night at the range with no lane fees and free gun rental so it will only cost me the price of ammo. Unfortunately have to use their ammo on rentals.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called the range again to make sure they have .22LR ammo in stock and they said no so won't be able to do the rental since I have to use their ammo. I can understand this rule for calibers that people may bring their reloads to use in rentals, but .22LR???

·
Registered
407 Posts
10/22 all the way. You can basically turn it into anything you want. Every part can be upgraded.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I believe the 10/22 is the biggest selling .22 rifle of all time. Pardon the pun, but bulletproof. I think there is a reason it is hard to find anybody that hasn't owned one.......or three.

·
Registered
688 Posts
At our matches the S&W MP15-22 is the most popular.
The Smith is light and ready to go right out the box. You can install the dot scope of your choice. You can get factory 10 and 25 round mags. Plinker Tactical makes 35 round mags.

My teen age daughter, 19 years old and barely 5 foot, shot it this summer. She really liked the adjustable buttstock for her length of pull.

I like it so much I got another one (rifle, not daughter :biglaugh: )

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe the 10/22 is the biggest selling .22 rifle of all time. Pardon the pun, but bulletproof. I think there is a reason it is hard to find anybody that hasn't owned one.......or three.
Not that hard, I never owned (or plan to own) a Ruger 10/22 :p But I do own a Ruger SR-22 pistol and I do like it and has fed pretty much everything I put through it with little to no oil (just boresnake the barrel and wipe down every few months).

Just curious though, why rimfire rifle? Why not rimfire pistol or even centerfire pistol? I only shot steel challenge once because I had that day off (for once), and this older guy I shot action handgun with and he had a Ruger Mark III Competition with red-dot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts