1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced the punch assembly and adjusted it to the proper height per dillons instructions, but primers are still getting seated out of square,and some are seated high.

Is there a fix for this?

Reloading 45 ACP and 45 Colt. * I think* the problem started when I switched to cci primers. I was using Winchester previously without issue. I'm not sure if that's the problem. If I can find Winchester primers, I can test that hypothesis.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Are you using crimped primer brass? Even after swaging I still get some that do not seat easily. Also what do you mean by out of square?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a square deal that doesn't like CCI LPs. I just gave up using them.Any others work fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you using crimped primer brass? Even after swaging I still get some that do not seat easily. Also what do you mean by out of square?
I'm using 45 acp brass ,I don't think any of the pockets are crimped.

Out of square as in one side of the primer will seat dealer than the other. When the primer is not seated deep enough, only one side is sitting proud of the case head.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure your case plate is tightened down correctly- make sure the primer plunger is not bent, and try cleaning the primer pockets a little -
Case plate is tightened down so it barely works smoothly and I replaced the primer plunger because I thought it could be bent. I'll clean the primer pockets and see if that helps. I feel that shouldn't be necessary though. It was never a problem before.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
I had all kinds of problems like this only with large pistol primers. It was for a fairly short period of time. Short because I called Dillon out of frustration. Dillon said:

1. Winchester, Federal, or Rem primers only (softer cups);
2. do not push the ram bell crank handle. Push softly until you feel the case make contact with the primer. Then give it a little jab. It works! Found out I can even use CCI primers after I got used to it.

Reactions: frogfurr and Gil P.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had all kinds of problems like this only with large pistol primers. It was for a fairly short period of time. Short because I called Dillon out of frustration. Dillon said:

2. do not push the ram bell crank handle. Push softly until you feel the case make contact with the primer. Then give it a little jab. It works! Found out I can even use CCI primers after I got used to it.
[/QUOTE

Thanks, I'll try it out!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've got some CCI LPP I should try in my 550C to see if it has an issue... Winchester and Federal both seem to work fine. Can't recall trying any CCI though.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts

This is the way I do it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've used almost nothing but CCI's for the 15+ years that I've been reloading 45's on my 550. It wasn't until recently when things got a little more scarce that I had to start using Winchester and Remington as they became available. I've never had the issue you're describing with CCI's. The one thing that I'm noticing with the Winchesters is that they either seem incrementally larger in diameter, or made of a slightly more abrasive metal than the CCI's. They're harder to pick up in the primer pick up tubes. But once they're in the machine, there's no difference in operation.

I'd try the steps mentioned in the post above (this helps to "center" a cartridge over the primer just before you insert the primer. I'd also initially try to make sure your primer "punch / holder mechanism" isn't slamming forward and knocking the primer slightly out of place just before you insert it. For whatever reason this happens to me with SPP's' on occasion if the machine is too clean.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Dillon advises against CCI primers for a second reason, as well. The CCI’s cause the bell rank to crack. Mine did. Got a replaement, cudos to Dillon. I then had the welding class atthe tech school I taight at to weld the bellcrank…and reinforce it. SoI have an on-call replacement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The only time I have experienced this issue is when I switched from LPP to SPP 45 brass. I use CCI for everything except my revolver, and don't have any problems, that is after using my Dillon swaging tool on the SPP 45, they were tight. I have never heard of the bell crank issue you are talking about, I've been using a 550 for years?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Many years ago (like over 40) the C&H folks told me not to use CCI primers in their Auto Champ. Winchesters solved the problems. Have used mainly Win., and some Fed., ever since with no problems in the 3 Dillon machines we now run. Can't imagine cleaning primer pockets in pistol cases BTW; sounds like work to me!

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
I’ve had my dillon since 1983-84. Cracked the bellcrank about 25 years ago. That is what Dillontold me. The bellcranks may have gotten some upgrades since then.

·
Premium Member
10,785 Posts
Many years ago (like over 40) the C&H folks told me not to use CCI primers in their Auto Champ. Winchesters solved the problems. Have used mainly Win., and some Fed., ever since with no problems in the 3 Dillon machines we now run. Can't imagine cleaning primer pockets in pistol cases BTW; sounds like work to me!
I don’t either. Never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts