1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I had all kinds of problems like this only with large pistol primers. It was for a fairly short period of time. Short because I called Dillon out of frustration. Dillon said:

1. Winchester, Federal, or Rem primers only (softer cups);
2. do not push the ram bell crank handle. Push softly until you feel the case make contact with the primer. Then give it a little jab. It works! Found out I can even use CCI primers after I got used to it.
This is the way I do it.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I replaced the punch assembly and adjusted it to the proper height per dillons instructions, but primers are still getting seated out of square,and some are seated high.

Is there a fix for this?

Reloading 45 ACP and 45 Colt. * I think* the problem started when I switched to cci primers. I was using Winchester previously without issue. I'm not sure if that's the problem. If I can find Winchester primers, I can test that hypothesis.
The primer seating stem can come loose causing movement. It's not the sturdiest in the world. Recheck the seating stem height per Dillon's instructions and firmly tighten the set screw. I have to retighten mine from time to time.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
All in all I am very pleased with the primer seating setup on my 550. Only real problem I have had with it is the walnut from my case cleaning media getting into the works and gumming it up. If you use walnut cleaning media like me frequent inspection of the priming components and the cleaning of them will save a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I'll check that. I'm still seating primers high and out of square despite trying some of the techniques mentioned earlier.
Use calipers to check the height setting. It's critical. The primer won't square itself until seated properly. It can't seat properly if the primer seating punch is not set at the proper height.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
It's not the squareness of the punch set up that is critical. It's the punch height that is critcal. The primer will square itself when seated properly. If you have a primer that is out of square on your finished rounds it means your primers are not getting fully seated. It is that simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts