1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced the punch assembly and adjusted it to the proper height per dillons instructions, but primers are still getting seated out of square,and some are seated high.

Is there a fix for this?

Reloading 45 ACP and 45 Colt. * I think* the problem started when I switched to cci primers. I was using Winchester previously without issue. I'm not sure if that's the problem. If I can find Winchester primers, I can test that hypothesis.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a square deal that doesn't like CCI LPs. I just gave up using them.Any others work fine.
The problem started when I began to use cci large pistol primers. If I can find some Winchester, I'll switch back and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you using crimped primer brass? Even after swaging I still get some that do not seat easily. Also what do you mean by out of square?
I'm using 45 acp brass ,I don't think any of the pockets are crimped.

Out of square as in one side of the primer will seat dealer than the other. When the primer is not seated deep enough, only one side is sitting proud of the case head.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure your case plate is tightened down correctly- make sure the primer plunger is not bent, and try cleaning the primer pockets a little -
Case plate is tightened down so it barely works smoothly and I replaced the primer plunger because I thought it could be bent. I'll clean the primer pockets and see if that helps. I feel that shouldn't be necessary though. It was never a problem before.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had all kinds of problems like this only with large pistol primers. It was for a fairly short period of time. Short because I called Dillon out of frustration. Dillon said:

1. Winchester, Federal, or Rem primers only (softer cups);
2. do not push the ram bell crank handle. Push softly until you feel the case make contact with the primer. Then give it a little jab. It works! Found out I can even use CCI primers after I got used to it.
[/QUOTE

Thanks, I'll try it out!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The primer seating stem can come loose causing movement. It's not the sturdiest in the world. Recheck the seating stem height per Dillon's instructions and firmly tighten the set screw. I have to retighten mine from time to time.
I'll check that. I'm still seating primers high and out of square despite trying some of the techniques mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Use calipers to check the height setting. It's critical. The primer won't square itself until seated properly. It can't seat properly if the primer seating punch is not set at the proper height.
When I set it up after installing the new primer punch parts, I did check that it was the proper height with calipers.

I set the height by trial and error while the punch assembly was in the machine to try and tighten it down while keeping it square.

Is there a better way of doing this? the primer punch assembly has a lot of wiggle room and is easy to install crooked.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
It's not the squareness of the punch set up that is critical. It's the punch height that is critcal. The primer will square itself when seated properly. If you have a primer that is out of square on your finished rounds it means your primers are not getting fully seated. It is that simple.
Good to know. I'll set it up to the max height within the specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts