1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I had all kinds of problems like this only with large pistol primers. It was for a fairly short period of time. Short because I called Dillon out of frustration. Dillon said:

1. Winchester, Federal, or Rem primers only (softer cups);
2. do not push the ram bell crank handle. Push softly until you feel the case make contact with the primer. Then give it a little jab. It works! Found out I can even use CCI primers after I got used to it.

Reactions: frogfurr and Gil P.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Dillon advises against CCI primers for a second reason, as well. The CCI’s cause the bell rank to crack. Mine did. Got a replaement, cudos to Dillon. I then had the welding class atthe tech school I taight at to weld the bellcrank…and reinforce it. SoI have an on-call replacement.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I’ve had my dillon since 1983-84. Cracked the bellcrank about 25 years ago. That is what Dillontold me. The bellcranks may have gotten some upgrades since then.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Theyprobably redesigned the webbing in it. Bit they saidthehard primers and notiabbing the orimer handlewere the major causes of it. WhatI do know is it is still operational with the replacement bell crank.

After rebuild confidence in it, I tried the CCI primers again because I always had good luck with them. Not a t-totaler but preferred. I generally use Federal regularly as well. Remington and Wolf (the Wolf during ammo scrambles) have crossed my bench as well.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I call ita bellcrank…because that is what it is. The part I am referring to is connected at the bottom of the ram and has the charging handle connected to it.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Bell crank is a type of mechanism. It does the same mechanical task the powder measure bell crank does. Same as on the older clutch bellcrank of manual shift vehicles. Now that we know Dillon’s nomenclature…

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I didn’t see any. They were stress cracks. But a void was a possbility.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
What regulates the depth of primer seating is the small screw on the front of the platform (black plate bolted to top of ram). I didn’t see it in the manual linked to (maybe Dillon eliminated it) to but it was on my 450B…later converted to 550B using the Dillon 550 frame kit.
The screw limits platform movement downward at the bottom of the ram stroke. Shortening the effective screw length allows deeper seating, lengthening causes shallower seating. The whole idea is to prevent crushing the priming compound. In reality, I set mine to provide a little crush then set the limit screw to allow just a thread or two more ram travel down. This allows for variations in primer pocket depth, tight vs. loose pockets, and so on.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
^^^ It would then require removal of the priming assembly. PITA for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts