1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a aluminum 1911 frame the guy said it is a rmt made in CA.
anybody know anything about it I thought I might use it on A Ciener conversion.
Ken

·
Registered
384 Posts
RMT Frame

Ken, I bought an RMT aluminum frame many, many years ago, and it sat unused in my basement for a long time. When I was asked to help with a firearms training class for beginners, I did exactly what you're planning: bought a Ciener .22 conversion kit and the fire control parts for the frame and assembled what has been one of the most popular training guns among the novices I've had in the classes.

What could be less intimidating to a beginning shooter than a lightweight, all-aluminum, low-noise, no-recoil .22 rimfire 1911? I used a short trigger for those with shorter fingers, and added Pearce contoured, soft rubber grips (thinned in the center for smaller hands) and a rubber-coated Pachmayr mainspring housing (just because I had one laying around).

It functions best with Remington High Velocity ammo, but if I recall correctly, Ciener does recommend that high speed ammo be used for reliable functioning. It's certainly been reliable, and accurate enough to put a smile on a lot of new shooters' faces.

Good luck with your project. It'll be a fun plinker and a great training gun.

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
A light hammer spring and keeping the rails well lubed will also work wonders on a Ciener 22 conversion pistol being stubborn about running well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
+1 to Magnumite's lube recommendation, especially with the aluminum slide running on an aluminum frame. I've been using a light coating of Slide Glide and it seems to be running fine, plus it stays where it's put.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
not a wtb post!

are these frames coming through a parts house or a private party?

·
Premium Member
11,642 Posts
Ranger Machine & Tool frames are left over from the 60s/70s. For the OP's intended use, it should be fine. I would recommend against using it for a centerfire build as I have seen them shuck their rails. I have one that I acquired in a bulk trade 25 years ago that I have never built up. I won't sell/give it away because I don't want anyone else to waste their time on it. I may put together a 22 on it once I get back to some leasure time.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If I can find one, that will be what it gets built into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got the frame off of gunbroker after way to much hassle from the seller has A real attitude problem. But after installing A ciener comander conversion I think it was worth it. Not A match grade but lots of fun. And best of all I paid $74.51 for it:biglaugh:
ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts