1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a used gun and it has a RMT frame SN#80SA0171, A Remington Rand slide and a Colt barrel. Have read on here that many consider the RMT to be a poor choice for frames because of its material construction. i.e. aluminum. Perhaps a dumb question.....but I am not sure if mine is made out of aluminum because a magnet will stick to it. Did RMT make any steel frames? It is a heavy frame, it doesn't feel like aluminum, how can I be sure? I am thinking my "good deal" was not so good after all. But the pistol does shoot well. A close inspection did not reveal any cracks in the frame. Thanks in advance for any advice and responses.
P.S. If it is a steel frame, is it a decent frame or should I replace it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If your frame attracts a magnet it is steel. That is assuming you are not using a strong magnet and it is attracted to the internals. But if it is heavy it is steel. And yes, as far as I know RMT made steel frames.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I also have a RMT frame awaiting a suitable profect. Mine is steel & is broached for a GC trigger. Note, RMT did sell some alloy frames & I believe Numrich still sells the last of them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a aluminum RMT frame with a 22 Conversion unit on it. It has digested tousands of rounds since assembled in the 80's. It's fine for the application.

outa here

Markwell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts