1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run >12K trouble free rounds through my SA 9mm 1911. In practicing for steel challenge I tend to shoot low out of the draw. Now there are a lot of reasons I might be doing this, but it appears that something about the cut of the sight makes the very top edge less prominent almost as though I'm aligning the sights out of the holster on the ridge immediately below the very top.

This doesn't appear to be as much of a problem with subsequent targets, but I would say my hits on the non-draw targets do tend to be slightly low. Anyone else experience this? (This is only an issue in rapid fire situations).

I ran a few rounds through one of our M&Ps, first time in months, and I didn't have the issue with the stock M&P rear sight. I'm thinking about buying a Dawson adjustable rear sight since I've had such good experience with their products.

·
Registered
667 Posts
First off it's the Indian. The grip angle difference between the two guns may be the reason. Also you have a longer trigger pull on the M&P.

Are your splits the same? Is your draw time/first shot the same? You also may be breaking the shot a 10th or so early.

A wise man once said..."shoot fast...slow"

There are many factors, but I would lean towards the way you grip each pistol. I like the thumbs high on the slide on my 1911's. If anything on my draws I would be a little high.

A small dab of fluorescent finger nail polish at the top of the front sight may help you pick it up quicker.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably didn't do a good job describing what I'm seeing. I'm much more accurate with the 1911 than the M&P, but when I do controlled fir with my 1911 I can see where the top edge of the rear sight is not as distinct as with other rear sights. My glasses are focused at the front sight, but the rear sight is pretty darn clear. I don't have any sight black, but did try using a sharpie - results were inconclusive. The front sight is crystal clear, the rear appears to have a funny angle cut at the very top edge.

·
Registered
667 Posts
RD, back when BoMar was in business they had a few options for the rear blade. You may want to do some searchin' and see what you can find. I do much better with the BoMar then the new "combat" style rears although I do like the Wilsons.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the target sight for steel challenge. There is just something about the way light reflects off the very top of the rear sight IMO.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
rdtompki, I'm assuming you know that the RO/Loaded don't use a Bomar cut on the slide, it's an LPA cut. Looks similar but they won't interchange, just be sure of what you order.

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
You might try getting the front sight on the target first then aligning the rear sight perfectly before you squeeze the shot off...

aging eyes are a PITA!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger on LPA. I was aware of that. My understanding it's a BoMar-style sight, but LPA cut.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update in case anyone bumps into this thread.

The "problem" is the configuration of our practice range. There is a large tree overhanging the shooting position and yet the background is very bright. I don't have this alignment problem during matches where the sights are well lit.

What confirmed this was practicing with a new H&K P2000. The white dots on the 3-dot sights really popped out making is very easy to alight the sights. Of course the H&K sight picture is completely different, but that's another matter.

I'm considering getting a Dawson FO rear target sight - wouldn't be needed in a match, but would help under our practice conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts