1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Atlanta a few years back, a man was trying to turn left to onto an expressway from a straight lane. Needless to say he was blocking traffic and people were honking and getting upset. Finally, a guy gets out of his car and approaches the rude driver. The driver was afraid and shot the approaching victim, killing him. No charges. A woman in Alabama shoots an berate woman as she approaches her car, killing her and gets 17 years.

I always felt that you stay in your car. To get out of the car and to approach another car, in these types of situations, is an act of aggression - Georgia seems to aggree, Alabama doesn't. What do you do? If you are wedged in traffic and someone approaches your vehicle in an agrressive manner, do you warn and show them your gun, does this just up the ante. I'd probably have gun in hand and wait until their intentions are very clear, i.e. do they have a weapon. The AL case bothered me. It's easy to site back and monday morning qb these things.

tjg

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If somebody gets out of their car and walks to yours, it certainly may not be an act of aggression. The driver walking back may simply be coming back to tell the driver honking that his car had stalled. If you chose to show the other driver your gun, and that driver has not actually done anything, then you are breaking the law most likely. If he is beating on your car, that is another matter, of course. Then again, why would you be trapped in traffic? While it can happen, you should remember to leave yourself at least 1/2-1 car length between your car and the car in front, giving you enough room to turn out of the lane. Having guns are handy, sure enough, but I am fairly confident that it is not the mere act of walking back that the courts found to be the aggressive behavior. Other circumstances also came into play. Such oversimplications can be dangerous

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Datapoint: Years ago in Miami I was stuck on an Interstate on-ramp - no way to get out of the traffic. I accidently hit the horn, a short beep, not a long blast. Guy ahead of me came barreling out of his pickup, didn't close his door and ran up to my car and banged on the roof. My window was closed and doors locked, SOP in Miami, but the guy was giving off enough aggressive vibes that I felt justified in flashing my S&W 640. Luckily he backed off. I would have put up with him continuing to bang on the outside of the car, but if he had made a move on the glass things would have gotten real loud.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Even in LenB's case, the guy came running back, but until he beat on the car, the mere act of running back may have been for other circumstances, say some sort of emergency happening behind you. Once he beat on the car (or stopped at your door and made threats or something like that) then sure, let him know you are a tough guy.

Also remember that Ford, GM, Toyota, and all the rest make new cars every day. Don't get caught up in defending your car, but do defend you life as best as possible.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
In using deadly force, you better be able to convince a jury that you were in deadly peril. Or at least stood to lose an eye or get an arm broken or something.

The imminent and capable threat of "serious bodily harm or death" is the guideline here. Property damage, or even someone reaching into your car is not likely to be sufficient. Now if someone with (or two or more people - one with a crowbar, break your car window and make any attempt toward you, that is more like it. But the bottom line is the jury. You better be able to convince THEM.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D N S, living in Atlanta and commuting on 285 and 400 I experience gridlock every day of the week. Trust me you can get boxed in with no where to go.

tjg

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
It always amazes to hear he stories of road rage where the involved parties finally stop their cars and confront each other. If I come across an idiot on the freeway the last thing I am going to do is pull over to "give him, or her, a piece of my mind'And I surely do not want to shoot someone because they cut me off in traffic . Defend yourself when necessary, but do not get into potentionally dangerous situations for something as stupid as being delayed in traffic

·
Registered
75 Posts
You must be in "fear" of your life or another to use deadly force. There are circumstances where mear size difference could justify deadly force. With a CCW comes responsibilty to know the law. You will be judged by everyone especially the media. Trust me ! Get training, practice and act like you have gray matter between your ears. In some cases poeple have lost their CCW because of flashing (letting someone know you are carrying) I feel its best to keep your weapon hidden till you are ready to use. It is not there to scare people. If you want to scare them buy a Halloween mask. Give verbal commands if possible. Get back, Stop, I will shoot. If you do shoot someone, get police and medical people on the way. Above all use common sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts