1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good movie! I enjoyed seeing Tom Hanks in a serious role. I am not a big Paul Newman fan, but I thought he did an excellent job playing the godfather type.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Seen it and loved it. Between the 1911 (not carried in condition 1, a pity) and the Thompson SMG, it's a great movie. Worth a rental, though Walmart has the DVD cheap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Saw it at a theatre just after it came out. At first I though I didn't like it, but after reading a few reviews and watching again on HBO last month, I think it's going to be one of Hank's best movies.

Saving Private Ryan was good, but this one is better.

I noticed the way Hanks carried his 1911, but was Condition 1 carry the way things were done back in the gangster era? As I recall, in "The Untouchables" Kevin Costner didn't carry in Condition 1 either. There was one scene where he was raiding a liquor warehouse and that pesky reporter was hiding to take some pictures. Costner saw him, snuck up on him and pulled his 1911 and cocked it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would not draw historical reference from either of these two movies. If the guns were not physically cocked on screen, the audience would not know the actors were really serious.

Look at all of the Dirty Harry movies, pulling the gun never frightened the bad guy, only when it was cocked, was a proper response offered.

·
Registered
566 Posts
OverHung said:
I would not draw historical reference from either of these two movies.

thompsons don't have a "removable" front grip, in any of their forms.

yes it can be removed, but tools are needed, both to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
415 Posts
OverHung said:
I would not draw historical reference from either of these two movies. If the guns were not physically cocked on screen, the audience would not know the actors were really serious.

Look at all of the Dirty Harry movies, pulling the gun never frightened the bad guy, only when it was cocked, was a proper response offered.
Good point. Don't you just love those movies where an auto is cocked half a dozen times just to give the EFFECT

·
Registered
513 Posts
Generally speaking, cocking a weapon on screen is done for dramatic effect. Like putting an apostrophe on the end of a sentence for emphisis. That is strictly Hollywood not history!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Have you ever noticed , any time you see a gun drawn, whether it be a revolver or pistol, there is always "racking of the slide sound" even though none of them are racked ?:D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was watching a movie the other night...

And this guy had a shotgun and he pumped that thing about three times during the scene to show me meant business. Everytime a shell flew out the side. How can hollywood be so dumb? This doesn't add any effect other than comic effect.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm still trying to find that revolver thats shoots an unlimted number of rounds without reloading. No luck as of yet. I'll let you know when I do.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
SPOILER****
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
When he shot the guy in ther bath tub he pointed down but the blood splatter they showed was up above the body. Mistake?

·
Administrator
13,333 Posts
What spoiled that scene for me was that the gun he was using wasn't fired . Just sound effects . No smoke , no flash , no slide movement . Nada . :(

I did however appreciate the Jude Law character using a Savage pistol . Not a common choice for Hollywood . :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Loved the Movie.

I have noticed in a few movies latly, That they will continue to shot thier pistol after the slide locks back on the "last" round. The most recent was SWAT when they ran the practice course.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
And try to remember they are only movies with no relationship at all to real life.:D

My wife asked me why I didn't like the SWAT movie (shooting guns that are jammed, landing a jet on a bridge) and I loved the Pirates of the Caribbean. As she said, "They are both just figments of a Hollywood screenwriters imagination".

Very good point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I watched "The Hunted" last night and in one scene the female cop draws down on the bad guy with her Glock and a mysterious "cocking" noise is heard -- must be a single action Glock with an external hammer!

·
Registered
196 Posts
My wife calls it "suspension of disbelief" and that we are to allow the errors in order to enjoy the movie. As we all know, it would take very little effort to make it right with very little technical assistance. My wife is an rn and she has a problem when the medical shows show the same bs attitude.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was really dissapointed in that movie. Saw it in the theatre and walked out when Benecio Del Toro made a knife in the field from some scrap iron.

DDGator said:
I watched "The Hunted" last night and in one scene the female cop draws down on the bad guy with her Glock and a mysterious "cocking" noise is heard -- must be a single action Glock with an external hammer!

·
Registered
369 Posts
In Road To Perdition did anybody else notice that Hanks firing his Thompson from the hip at a distance of at least 25yds (I really suck at evaluating distance) on full auto was able to hit each of his targets standing around Newman leaving Newman unscathed but at a distance of 2 ft he shoulders the gun and takea aim to take out Newman

1 - 20 of 23 Posts