1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about sending my Colt Delta Elite to Robar to have their NP3 electroless nickel coating applied to the frame parts, barrel exterior and bushing and have their Roguard coating applied to the slide and slide parts.
Any one had this done? How does your pistol look? More importantly did the coating make your pistol less reliable in any way?

Thanks!

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Robar does very good work and will stand by their finishes too. Solid stuff.
FWIW: I'm pretty sure you cannot have the exterior of your barrel NP3'd.
They can't Roguard the internal parts of a gun, it has something to do with tolerances.
If I remember correctly, NP3 is a dip while Roguard is sprayed on, don't quote me on that, it's been a long time since I had a gun refinished.

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
I have 4 guns that have been finished by Robar. The best looking is Roguard external with NP3 internals. 2 of the others are all NP3. The fourth is slide only, in NP3. Both finishes are great... easy to clean, good protection, and I think more durable than most of the other wonder finishes. I recommend them without reservation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
JGage,

The exterior of my Kart NM barrel was most definitely NP3'd--to the detriment of the function of the gun.

Steve

------------------
"Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws." --- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you Steve, for correcting me... I didn't think it was done and I've always had stainless barrels anyway.
So, what sort of problems did it cause ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I sent it off to them, "Roguard slide and NP3 internals". Got it back with the exterior of the barrel NP3'd.

Had to remove the NP3 from the bushing region of the barrel to get it to return fully into battery consistently. Added just enough diameter that my perfectly fit Briley spherical bushing didn't like it.

Not a BIG deal, but y'know, something you tend to remember.

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's really interesting... I sent off a Sig P-220 to get the Roguard/NP3 internals and they didn't coat the barrel.

IMHO, if you get a gun back and it doesn't function... That is a big deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So, how about turn around time and cost and overall "service"? I've been thinking about sending an old Colt to Rocky Mountain Arms for a "BearCoat" finish. I had them do a S&W auto a few years back and love the finish. I did have problems at first due to the barrel exterior coating. It took a while to wear off enough to get the gun to cycle reliably. They're pricey. I called them recently and it's now $270, which include 2 mags. How about Robar?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I've had the following 3 guns done in NP3 on the frame and internals, with Rogard on the slide.

The Commander and 1911 both had the bbl NP3'ed on the outside and by appearance, it looks like the bbl may have been NP3'ed on the inside as well. The bbl coat has not altered function or accuracy in either of those guns.

Price I believe was about $225 to $250 per gun. If you like the looks of two tone guns, this is the way to go IMO.

Commander

Officers Model

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

[This message has been edited by T. Kanaley (edited 08-24-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts