1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually received this a few weeks ago, but after hitting the 750rd mark today I feel a bit more confident in giving my thoughts. I had been shopping around for a new carry gun in the mid-range price for a bit and had pretty well settled on a Dan Wesson V-Bob until running across a Roberts Defense gun on a Facebook page. Did some more research, made a 3hr drive to put one physically in my hand and sent an email with a few questions. Rob Unger called me back a few days later for a chat and the project got put into motion.

What I ended up with was a pistol built exactly how I wanted it, with some features added that they don't offer on their regular production guns, for less than I would have spent on the V-Bob. Delivery time was 13weeks from payment, but there were definitely times in that 13 weeks that it seemed like a communications blackout. Fit and finish on the build is better than the offerings from DW I had looked at......I'd say build quality is easily on par with a Les Baer. I've not had an issue yet through 750rds of assorted ammo and the gun shoots way better than I do. I'm beyond pleased with it......I was nervous about cutting a check to a new company to do a build in a configuration that they had never done but wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Pistol is in .45 of course, 5" with bobtailed stainless frame. Polished flats, matte rounds on frame....nitrided slide with Hi-Power cuts, serrated flat-top, rear of slide serrated to match the Heinie Straight 8 sights. Disconnector rail has the Marvel ramp cut. Internal parts, thumb safety and slide stop are barstock parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Very good looking pistol and I really like the ramp cut. How does it shoot? Just out of curiosity, what holster is that? Congrats.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun shoots extremely well.....better than I do. It took me a bit to get used to the Straight 8 sights, but my groups are starting to come up. First few trips out I was shooting consistently low by 2-3" at 20yds. Haven't had a stoppage yet.

The holster is an Elephant and Stingray set from Rob Biancheri at BiancheriUSA.....great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Good deal. Yeah those crazy 8s require a bit of a learning curve however once done, they are pretty good sights. Not my cup of tea only because I'm so set in my ways.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Beautiful 1911. I love 5" Bobtails. I really like your leather choice, very classy and who cares what the knife is for, it looks good, too.

But did you say for less than a new VBOB? Are you saying you got a custom with quality parts for under $2k? NO WAY.

Now I want one, where can I get more info???

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But did you say for less than a new VBOB? Are you saying you got a custom with quality parts for under $2k? NO WAY.

Now I want one, where can I get more info???
Yes, less than a stainless VBob even.

Best way to get in touch with them is through their Facebook page or at their website www.robertsdefense.com

They don't have a huge dealer network right now, but I'm sure they can answer any questions you have and let you know who is closest to you.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting my Roberts Defense Recon Custom as we speak. I'm in the "Communications blackout" phase right now, which pretty much began right after I placed the order. Hopefully it won't be long now, as I'm in the 14th week right now as I type this. I look forward to the pistol, but their non-response to my emails and phone calls is a bit aggravating. Glad you hear your pistol is a winner. Hopefully mine will be too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By far, the worst part of my experience was when my gun shipped to my FFL.Already 13 weeks of waiting, It arrived on a Saturday, so I ran out after work to pick it up......inspected it, fondled it, drooled on it, made "pew pew" sounds with it........and then my "instant" background check came back delayed (Yay, Illinois) and I had to put it back in its very nice padded case and hand it back to my dealer for another 3 day wait.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice Gun!

I have never heard of Roberts Defense and I live in Wisconsin. Does anyone know if it is a series 70 or 80 platform? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pricing, and the whole package is quite attractive with Roberts Defense. Definately a bargain, especially when these are true customs. They've not turned down anything, nothing...they will even do a chen weld on magwell and maxbevel msh...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks much Timt5352. I gotta have one of these!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Recon Custom and really enjoy it. Great shooting and way more accurate than me. I agree with the communications blackout issue but if you can get around that it's worth it. I got mine as a stock item online for a hell of a deal and know you can't find another that compares in that price range.

Pew Pew sounds...lol I thought that was just me..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got mine. It was a custom build for a Facebook group that I'm in that Rob is also a member of. The communications blackout sucks. But I love the gun. Shoots way better than I do! I don't know how to post pics but once I find out, I'll post them!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I just got mine. It was a custom build for a Facebook group that I'm in that Rob is also a member of. The communications blackout sucks. But I love the gun.
How long ago did you order it? I'm now at about the 8 month mark waiting for my Recon Custom. Trying to get a progress report is like pulling teeth. Harder than that actually. I sure hope it's worth the wait!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wait was between 6 and 7 months. I've found the best way to contact him is through his personal facebook account. I never tried emailing him though. I did try to leave messages, but Facebook seemed like the best way to contact him

1 - 20 of 32 Posts