1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all hot and bothered to get one last year, but some financial stuff happened and finally about a year later, I think I can get one.:D

I remember SARCO was one of the big importers, but also heard they were up to some no good and not to buy a Rock Island from them. So who else can get me one? My uncle has a FFL and will be doing all the buying and aquiring for me, I just need to know where to point him.

Okay, who has one and how do you like it? I heard good things about them a year ago when I was looking. Now I just want to get some more current opinions.

Currently debating compact vs midsize vs standard. It'll be for home defense and maybe carry, but dunno about the later. When I do finally get a pistol I will be getting a Concealed Carry Permit here in Michigan, but probably only to snub my nose at the lefties.:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rock Isnad Armory

I bought one about 2 months ago at a gun show in S. FL. It was $299 for the full size. I like it and it shoots very well. I have changed the following, simply because I wanted to not because there was a need.
1. I added a Wilson one piece FLGR
2. I bought a spare firing pin
3. I will be buying a new extractor in case the first one fails.

Other than that no other changes are necessary. Hammer bite happens, and I will live with it. You can probably still get them from TDW sales in CA. Web site is tdwsales.com. They have spare parts as well on the site. I bought it for some local range shooting and home use. I did not want to spend a fortune for a gun that I may not use all that often. It appears to be very well made and there are little to no defects that are readily visible. I don't care what others may say about RIA, it was my cash and I spend it as I choose, not what others think. By the way, I have my CCW and I carry a Glock 26, not the .45.
Handlebar.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Try Armscore's website located in Las Vegas Nevada and see what happens. I've seen magazine ads in gun magazines that say that Armscore handles importing these fine pistols. Mine is great and want to get another!!!

Good Luck

rimfire,22

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Really pleased with my RIA, it's the most accurate and reliable of the bunch. Sarco still advertises the govt model for $319 in Shotgun News. Haven't heard anything about Sarco myself, that's where I bought mine from.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see the positive reviews, they seem to go along with the ones I got last year. What models do you guys have?

The word I got early this year was that SARCO wanted to up the price on the Rock Islands, and Armscore (who makes them in the Philippines) said no. There was a falling out and SARCO started saying they weren't going to be available anymore, they were having importation problems, etc all BS. They raised the rates on their remaining stock right away as well. I did notice that there weren't any Rock Islands in their ad in the last issue of Shotgun News (Nov 17th). Meanwhile you can still get them elsewhere, The Dealer Warehouse being one I've been made aware of (thanks guys). My uncle the FFL didn't have much good to say about SARCO from past dealings anyways.

Anyone know Armscore's Los Vegas website address? I've heard it mentioned before, but no actual address.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've had a RIA Milspec .45 for a few months now, paid $319 at www.gunsamerica.com and have since seen prices as low as $299 in Shotgun News. IMHO the RIA is an incredible bargain: good fit, finish & trigger right out of the box, accurate and reliable, hardchromed barrel, what's not to like? Mine's run flawlessly w/500rds (everything from Wolf to Federal 200gr +P EFMJ) w/a single FTF when group testing from a rest (I may have limpwristed that shot). All I've added is a Wilson 18 lb recoil spring, Pachmayr rubber grips & Meprolight night sights.
Tomac

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 5" RIA has run flawlessly, with 500rds thru it. I found it used, at a pawn shop :)

I added an aftermarket trigger group and grips just for fun, and I like it better in every respect, than my $800 Kimber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
AJMBLAZER said:
I Currently debating compact vs midsize vs standard. It'll be for home defense and maybe carry, but dunno about the later. When I do finally get a pistol I will be getting a Concealed Carry Permit here in Michigan, but probably only to snub my nose at the lefties.:D
Skip the compact, most 1911's with barrels less than 4" is a dog! If you plan in playing in the gun games, the full size will serve you better. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the RIA full size model for a few months now. Well over 1000 rounds with no failures of any kind. Mine is new from the box with the exception of adding rubber grips. Nice groups and fun to shoot. It handles all types of mixed ammo including semi-wadcutters.
I bought mine from a local dealer. He gets new RIA's in every week and sells them all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is mine that I just sold on Gunbroker:

Yeah, it's a Rock Island, really! I milled the slide to get rid of the logo and stuff.

I didn't sell it cause of any problems, but to fund another project. It is a VERY sweet blaster!! I bought this one from Sarco for $319.

·
Banned
750 Posts
I own the compact and the mid size and

I'm happy with both. I think the biggest complaint with Rock Island 1911's is the extractor. My compact model has been flawless and at the last visit to the range, the midsize had failure to extract problems. I'm going to adjust the tension on the extractor first, try it and if it's not fixed, replace it with a mil spec part from a buddy of mine who makes mil spec 1911 parts for the military. (Accur-Tune, Belton, SC, part cost me $17.00 for stainless)

One thing I want to note is the compact and midsize have heavyweight bushingless barrels and full length guide rods. They are both accurate guns and very tight and if you get one, you need to go ahead and shoot 500 rounds through them to break them in and loosen them up a bit. I shot a 5 inch group at 25 yards standing up free hand (one handed, no support).

The fit and finish, including internal parts, is on a part with Kimber and Springfield, for a lot less money. A buddy and I do gunsmithing and we've tuned the full size up and refinished them for several folks and both of us like them as a basis for a semi-custom gun.

You can order the guns and parts from (and they have great customer service) The Dealer Warehouse, Modesto, CA, 209-545-2800, www.tdwsales.com.

Hope this helps,

Dave in Oakwood, GA

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
glock35ipsc, nice looking gun there. Where did you get those grips? I kind of like the M1911 diamond style like those.

What kind of magazines are you guys using? Number 1 universal complaint I've heard so far seems to be that the mags they come with suck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got the grips from Brownells, they are Chip McCormick.

For mags, I use either McCormick or Wilsons. Can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a Rock Island. I wonder why people would but these now that Springfield has come out with a gun in the same price range.

Here is my experiance, ymmv

Pins holes in the frame so out of spec real parts would not fit.

frame cut out for Ignition parts was cut so thin some " Factory gunsmith " had to grind the parts thinner to fit in the frame.

Since the pin holes in addition to being different sizes on each side of the frame where off set as well the same "factory gunsmith had to file a Taper in the pin to get them into the frame.

Only one side of the sear engaged the hammer. BAD BAD BAD.

Gun was ugly.

Barrel foot was cut wrong. They had to long link it just to get it to lock up.

I just did not even feel safe firing more than a few rounds of 45 in this POS.

I so what I ended up doing was fixing up the trigger as best I could and putting a Ciener 22 conversion on the frame and making it into a 22.

Still don't shoot t much since I have ZERO pride in ownership. I will not sell it because that would not even meet my already low ethical standards.

Based on the gun I got and one very much like it purchased by my friend at the same time I WOULD RUN RUN RUN! to buy a Springfield WW11 reissue gun for damn near the same price. Much better value.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bigjim, how long ago did you purchase your gun? Your story sounds like what I've heard of a lot of the very early production Rock Islands.

·
Registered
101 Posts
bigjim said:
I have a Rock Island. I wonder why people would but these now that Springfield has come out with a gun in the same price range.

Here is my experiance, ymmv

Pins holes in the frame so out of spec real parts would not fit.

frame cut out for Ignition parts was cut so thin some " Factory gunsmith " had to grind the parts thinner to fit in the frame.

Since the pin holes in addition to being different sizes on each side of the frame where off set as well the same "factory gunsmith had to file a Taper in the pin to get them into the frame.

Only one side of the sear engaged the hammer. BAD BAD BAD.

Gun was ugly.

Barrel foot was cut wrong. They had to long link it just to get it to lock up.

I just did not even feel safe firing more than a few rounds of 45 in this POS.

I so what I ended up doing was fixing up the trigger as best I could and putting a Ciener 22 conversion on the frame and making it into a 22.

Still don't shoot t much since I have ZERO pride in ownership. I will not sell it because that would not even meet my already low ethical standards.

Based on the gun I got and one very much like it purchased by my friend at the same time I WOULD RUN RUN RUN! to buy a Springfield WW11 reissue gun for damn near the same price. Much better value.
If you look at the pics above of my RIA, all the aftermarket parts on it fit very nicley, with just the expected fitting procedures required. Sounds like you just got a lemon, which can be had from any manufacturer. I once owned (briefly) a Colt that must have been a brother to the RIA you have, it was a total POS.

Who has Springfields for $300? I would buy one for $300 if I could find one!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was seriously considering the SA Milspec myself (all I wanted was a basic beater slabside) and then heard about this "Rock Island Armory" .45 and so started doing research. Lots of positive reports and almost no negative reports ("that just can't be for $299!" I says to myself) For the price difference (over $100) I didn't see anything more the SA had to offer and in fact offered less (2-piece non-chromed bbl, for example) than the RIA. Decided to take a chance and ordered one. IMHO it's a heck of a bargain! Accurate, reliable, good fit/finish/trigger, the only problem I had out of the box was a thumb safety that was too easily engaged/disengaged (an easy fix) and the only other changes I've made are Pachmayr grips, Meprolight night sights and a Wilson 18 lb recoil spring. Total cost is still less than what it would have run me for a SA milspec w/no mods/extras. If someone wants a SA/Colt/Kimber/etc then by all means go for it. However, if you're looking for an excellent budget/beater entry-level milspec .45 then you'd be hard pressed to find a better value than the RIA.
Tomac

·
Registered
547 Posts
AJMBLAZER said:
bigjim, how long ago did you purchase your gun? Your story sounds like what I've heard of a lot of the very early production Rock Islands.
I got my gun in the Second wave of guns right after the first price hike. The only reason I bought one was to encourage a buddy of mine to get his first 1911 pistol. he had a safe full of fadish junk that he did not shoot much. I wanted to get him shooting more and so we bought these guns as project guns together.

And projects they were.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts