1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Rock Island Armory tactical 45 and was impressed with it and the price wasn't bad. Does anyone own the gun or have any input on it?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

When my dealer and I quit playing phone tag, I'll tell you. It's 01 Dec 07 and I ordered it before the 16th of November 2007. Sarco is a little slow on the shipping, Xmas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1961MJS said:
Hi

When my dealer and I quit playing phone tag, I'll tell you. It's 01 Dec 07 and I ordered it before the 16th of November 2007. Sarco is a little slow on the shipping, Xmas?

Thanks, that is where I seen them at. What model did you get?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Constantine-p89 said:
I was looking at the Rock Island Armory tactical 45 and was impressed with it and the price wasn't bad. Does anyone own the gun or have any input on it?
LOL, among my stash of 1911's, I prize 2 among em all, my Norinco 1911A1, that has over 60k rounds and it magnificent. The other is my RIA, just a plain jane basic one i got at the gunshow for 349.00. The only thing I did when I got it home was change the magazine. I use nothing but McCormick and Wilson mags, my RIA has nearly 5k rounds through it with NO problems, other than it does not like JHP ammo, but that was fixed when the bbl was throated

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sousana said:
LOL, among my stash of 1911's, I prize 2 among em all, my Norinco 1911A1, that has over 60k rounds and it magnificent. The other is my RIA, just a plain jane basic one i got at the gunshow for 349.00. The only thing I did when I got it home was change the magazine. I use nothing but McCormick and Wilson mags, my RIA has nearly 5k rounds through it with NO problems, other than it does not like JHP ammo, but that was fixed when the bbl was throated

Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
The RIA is hands down the best value in the 1911 market for performance and configuration with novak stye sights and ambi safety and FLGR (if you like them and I do)

Accurated enough and reliable. And very resonable.

Bellshire Hardware on GB is another source. As well as Centerfire - good choice and JUMP in the pool water is cool. :rock:

I put adjustable rear sight and F/O sight + MSH magwell on mine

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
old-lefty said:
The RIA is hands down the best value in the 1911 market for performance and configuration with novak stye sights and ambi safety and FLGR (if you like them and I do)

Accurated enough and reliable. And very resonable.

Bellshire Hardware on GB is another source. As well as Centerfire - good choice and JUMP in the pool water is cool. :rock:

I put adjustable rear sight and F/O sight + MSH magwell on mine

Thanks for the range report, how many yards was that?

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
10 yards -

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
let us know if there is anything else you want to know about ROCKS:rock:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
old-lefty said:
let us know if there is anything else you want to know about ROCKS:rock:

Ok, what is your favorite ammo for the Rock Island 45?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Here is mine!!!

As far as ammo goes I reload but I have found the ammo from Armscor to be excellent!!!!!:) :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Auto Mag said:
Here is mine!!!

As far as ammo goes I reload but I have found the ammo from Armscor to be excellent!!!!!:) :)

Hmmm, thanks but I will only be buying walmart/Kmart ammo. Nice pic.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Constantine-p89, nothing wrong with the ammo at K-Mart or Wal-Mart!!!! As a matter of fact I picked up a case of Remington #8 shotgun shells at Wal-Mart yesterday!!!:rock:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Auto Mag said:
Constantine-p89, nothing wrong with the ammo at K-Mart or Wal-Mart!!!! As a matter of fact I picked up a case of Remington #8 shotgun shells at Wal-Mart yesterday!!!:rock:

Thanks, nice to know the (cheapos) will work alright in him.

·
Registered
949 Posts
1961MJS said:
Hi

Hi again

Ordered it 02 November, showed up Friday 30 November, which is REAL slow. Out the door price of roughly $450.00, Sarco got $389.99 plus 23.05 in shipping. I shot the RIA tactical today, 60 rounds of Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ, used the Novak mag that was original equipment once, it worked. I used two 7 round Metalforms, and two 10 round Metalforms, both worked flawlessly the SECOND time I loaded them. One 10 rounder had a bit of trouble getting the first round in the chamber. I also shot ten rounds of 200 grain Rainer reloads over 4 grains of Bulleye, everything fed through the gun fine. The gun shoots low, and the sites are fixed. I may eventually change sites.

All in all, the RIA is a cheap working 1911. The RIA is not a beautiful gun, but it is well worth the money spent. I bet there s not a less expensive way to get a working 1911. I plan on ordering Herret double diamond walnut grips for the gun and I may switch from the full length guide rod to what John Moses started with. I plan on putting another 200 rounds through it before I change anything but the grips though. Herret makes target style grips, but has the lowest prices on simple walnut grips that I found so far.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1961MJS said:
Hi again

Ordered it 02 November, showed up Friday 30 November, which is REAL slow. Out the door price of roughly $450.00, Sarco got $389.99 plus 23.05 in shipping. I shot the RIA tactical today, 60 rounds of Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ, used the Novak mag that was original equipment once, it worked. I used two 7 round Metalforms, and two 10 round Metalforms, both worked flawlessly the SECOND time I loaded them. One 10 rounder had a bit of trouble getting the first round in the chamber. I also shot ten rounds of 200 grain Rainer reloads over 4 grains of Bulleye, everything fed through the gun fine. The gun shoots low, and the sites are fixed. I may eventually change sites.

All in all, the RIA is a cheap working 1911. The RIA is not a beautiful gun, but it is well worth the money spent. I bet there s not a less expensive way to get a working 1911. I plan on ordering Herret double diamond walnut grips for the gun and I may switch from the full length guide rod to what John Moses started with. I plan on putting another 200 rounds through it before I change anything but the grips though. Herret makes target style grips, but has the lowest prices on simple walnut grips that I found so far.

Great to hear more good news about them.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
1961MJS said:
Hi again

Congrats on the new RIA!!!

Instead of saying the RIA is a "cheap" working 1911 let's just say it is an inexpensive working 1911!!!!:rock: :rock:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Auto Mag said:
"Instead of saying the RIA is a "cheap" working 1911 let's just say it is an inexpensive working 1911!!!!":rock: :rock:

And I agree!!! :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts