1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: https://us.armscor.com/products/tac-ultra-fs-hc-9mm

Picked this up (new) over the weekend and off to the range 48 hours later. Took it apart to clean it (absolutely drenched in oil from the factory). No modifications save for just a tiny bit of fine emery on the sides of the frame rail towards the rear -- Felt just a bit "tight" about an inch from the pin, so I figured I'd help wear the Parker off. Once I felt a difference (literally, about 90 seconds of work time) I stopped. That, and the LaserLyte 9mm round to see if the sights were somewhere in the same ZIP code as the barrel was pointing. Made a minor adjustment to the rear sight.

I wasn't particularly expecting to be impressed -- I've had a few new guns over the years and I'm used to breaking them in. Even that sight tweak was an afterthought.

Loaded one round -- To wit, Remington cheapie range ammo. Hit a bit low on the target at 7 yards. Nothing fell apart, so 5 more rounds, All in the ring (PHOTO: [01 First Shot Plus 5] -- 7 yds).

Started burning ammo -- Only one mag, so the Uplula was getting a workout, as were my arms from holding 3.5lbs out front (both shoulders have torn rotators). Noticed that it began "drifting" a bit to the left after around 150 or so rounds. Fresh target, fresh sight adjustment. First shot left, gave a couple clicks. Next shots not quite as left, a couple more clicks. Following shots made one big hole right in the center (PHOTO: [02 Sight Adjustment] -- 10yds).

Needed more ammo - Bought two boxes of uber-cheap Aguilar at the counter. Should've bought more targets... Burning through them almost as fast as ammo. I was down to my last one before I knew it. So I "stole" one from my shooting buddy with a "I swear, this will be the last target..." :scratch:

The last target (PHOTO: [03 Last Target] -- 10 yds) was relatively exhilarating... After tearing the center so much that it was flapping around, I decided to go with some head shots. Then torso shots peppered around. The thing hit where you pointed with just a couple out of the active area -- those were when I was just having fun. And fun it was.

I can't begin to tell you how much this thing rocked. Smooth, steady - Heck, I'm not that good of a shot. But every shot was hitting within an inch of where I was hoping. Recoil was negligible -- Pulled out the Shield for a break and never realized how 'snappy' it was. Back to the RIA and now I understand why people love these "big" guns. Although I could never hit like this with my Beretta, 910, M&P9 -- I could with my shooting buddie's Browning Hi-Power though (which he was there with). Seemed like such a heavy gun...

400+ rounds and nothing bad to say. No problems at all that had to do with the gun. One failure to go into battery which was my fault, one semi-defective cheapie round. But it ate everything -- Blazer, Remington and Aguilar FMJ, Remington HTP, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Ranger 147 Bonded HP, box of miscellaneous (the "Hickok" box) -- Most importantly, Freedom Munitions 115 with (Hornady) XTP's, which are my EDAmmo (Some of the ammo menu is visible in the "Last Target" shot).

The wonderfully light trigger breaks like glass, the reset is very short, precise and absolutely top-notch. The (stock) mag locked in positively with ease and the release was crisp and predictable, "dropping" the mag more than shoving it out.

(TIME PASSES)

I'm trying to think of something negative... I just read over this thing and it sounds like I'm in love. I guess I am... OKAY - There's a tiny bit of "wiggle" in the relaxed trigger. Less than most 1911's that I've shot though... I'm not crazy about the coated barrel. But I've taken care of most of that already with some 1k grit while cleaning it this afternoon. Sorry, I just don't have anything bad to say here. I've done a few range reports and they usually have anything from "Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with it" all the way to being disgusted and filled with buyer's remorse. This one is damn near making me sound like a RIA "Fan Boy" (and this is my first RIA).

I was expecting this to be a "fun gun" and that's about it. I was expecting a low price / decent quality pistol. But SO FAR (and I have to include that), it's one of the best shooting guns I've ever owned. I'll give it 4.5 stars (or bullets - or clays - or whatever the rating system here might be).

VERY much looking forward to the next time at the range. :rock:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ADDENDUM:

Went back last week after some tweaks and to check new mags. Just insane... Warmed up on a 9" round and just blew the bull out. So I put up one of those small silhouettes. Chest - Head - Chest - Head - Chest - Head - Not crazy fast, maybe 3/4 seconds between shots. Three mags (51 rounds), one "earring" (hit just off the head when I started getting sloppy).

There were guys practicing to qualify for their CCL's in the next few lanes. Noticed that they stopped shooting about halfway through my "drill" and they were just standing there watching. And then the questions... But that's cool.

Keep in mind here that I'm not -- well, I was never that good of a shot. Evidently I just needed the right gun. I guess I found it... I don't think I'm going to sign up for any competitive stuff anytime soon, but I can always dream, right?

Anyway, another 4-500 rounds without even the slightest hiccup or malfunction. I was table-slamming magazine (whatever you call it - Mags stand up on the table, drop a mag, 'slam' the gun down on the new mag, etc.), using various weights, brands and types of ammo once again.

For the record - The tweaks were what I see as more or less "standard stuff" on many "budget friendly" firearms of this type. Pulled the parkerization off and polished the sides of the trigger bow, flat of the disconnector, inside surfaces of the hammer (and much of the barrel and the grip screws as long as we're talking), quick blued the disconnector and hammer surfaces, changed the red fiber to green.

Wonderful to shoot *and* rather stunning to look at (added a relatively recent photo below) which doesn't really hurt... :thumbsup:

If I had paid twice as much for this thing, I would still have absolutely no regrets.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Glad to hear you are very satisfied with your new gun!

I recently purchased a RIA Ultra CS-9. If I was not an experienced DIY gunsmith, the gun would have had to have gone back more than once to RIA....however, I knew how to fix the problems myself and got the gun to run the way it should.

On a positive note, the 3.5" barreled gun shot very well, and I was pleasantly surprised when I placed the gun on a solid rest at 20 yds. and tested the gun for accuracy with some of my proven 9mm loads.

There were several "issues" I experienced with my new compact gun......first, the extended ejector snapped off after firing about 100 rounds. I had a replacement ext. ejector and fixed this. I did write to RIA in Nevada and supplied the broken ejector, and they promptly sent a new one to replace it.....good customer service.

After firing about 500 rounds the barrel specs had changed a bit. At lockdown with the slide locked back, the gap of the front of the barrel to the feed ramp was nearly flush, and not the normal 1/32" or so gap needed for reliable feeding. The gun would feed RN bullet profiles, but would not feed JHP ammo, since the tip of the bullet would hang up during feeding. I filed back the bottom of the barrel slightly and rethroated the barrel, being careful to not cut back the inside of the chamber.....I did not want to reduce the amount of barrel support around the case, since I knew I would be firing JHP +P ammo for self defense. The second thing I did was to weld up the mag catch and recut it to raise the mags when they were seated in the frame. The mags sitting low in the frame contributed to bullet nose dives, so welding up the ledge allowed JHP bullets to hit higher off the feed ramp and eliminated nose dives on the top rounds in the mag. The two modifications worked fine, and I now can shoot JHP ammo without feeding issues.

The F/O front sight was not tall enough to allow the fully adj. rear sight to match the POA with the POI. With the rear elevation sight screw cranked down as low as possible, the POI was still 4" too high at 15 yds. with my ammo, using 125 gr. bullets. I had an old STI dovetail front sight in my parts box, so I welded up the front sight taller, then took it to the range. I then placed the rear sight in the middle of the elevation range, and fired the gun. It was hitting a bit too low at 15 yds., so I began filing the front sight down until I got a dead center shot group at 15 yds. with my practice ammo. This would allow the rear sight to be adjusted either up or down if needed for different ammo. I then went home, and recut and drilled the front sight and fitted a .060" green fiber optic light rod.

Although the trigger was OK, I am very fussy about my triggers, and also prefer a short trigger pad. I made a shorter trigger pad using a Greider aluminum trigger I had on hand. I cut down the long aluminum pad, and used masking tape around the pad to form a mold. I then mixed a two part epoxy to make the new shorter pad. I let it dry overnight, then shaped and fitted this to the frame. I then did a complete trigger job to my satisfaction. The trigger now has a clean and crisp 3# pull.....

Since I plan to use the gun in the new CCP div. of IDPA, I made it IDPA legal and had to reduce the width of the ambi safety. I also cut down a Dawson Ice magwell, to fit the Officers style frame. I had to reduce the length of the magwell, and redrill the pin hole to hold the mainspring cap down. I also had to reduce the width of the mag funnel to be legal, but it is now fully functional and works great. With the Officers length grip frame, there is still plenty of room to fit in the IDPA box, and still allow 10 round 9mm magazines to be used. For competitive IDPA, you can only load 9+1 to start, and all remaining mags may only hold 8 rounds.....however, my Wilson 10 round ETM mags work fine when downloaded to 8 rounds, or I can charge the gun with 9 rounds in the mag when told to "load and make ready." I kept all of the original parts, and with the exception of reducing the width of the ambi safety, all modified parts I used may be replaced with the original parts..... Pic attached.....

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ANOTHER UPDATE: Was up at the Caywood range (Vilas County, WI) last week...

I abused the thing like it was a -- well, I'm not an abusive type... But I put 600 rounds through it in less time than I've ever gone through that much ammo. Set up sets of 5 targets and ran through double-taps, rapid fire, sequences, standing still, walking sideways, cross-lane, etc., etc., etc. "Jerry" style stuff that I'm never allowed the chance in the mundane indoor ranges in my area.

It's a monster. Center mass in everything. Didn't even notice if I had sights except for the rare occasion that I wanted to put a few in the little red circle. "Several" rounds per second was the norm. F'ing fantastic time. Thank goodness a buddy turned me on to that Uplula loader last year.

I may have mentioned it before, but this thing just seems to make me a better shot.

One 'minor' malfunction that I can't even properly explain much less recreate. A failure to fully eject in a manner that I can only chalk up to a potentially 'warped' casing. The round "stuck" on the top of the slide outside the ejection port. Problem is a case can't actually get stuck there. Don't know how this one did it, but it did it. Not going to worry about it and chalking it up as an anomaly of some sort.

People were asking about it and if I was a "professional shooter or something" (it really was running that good). I said "no, I just like to shoot - especially this gun..."

Got a bit generous and let a couple people put a mag or two downrange with it. Ended up having to write the model number on empty ammo boxes once I told them how much it cost.

Long story short, a few months later and it's still the most fun I've ever had every time I get a chance to blow through some rounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.