1911Forum banner

Rock Island Armory Tactical Sights Dimensions

182844 Views 94 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  Peter RIA1911A1-MS
I have a Rock Island Armory Tactical and I would like to have a adjustable rear sight installed. Does this pistol have a Novak cut? It looks like a standard dovetail to me but I could be wrong. I know the pistol has Novak sights but I wasnt sure if it was a Novak cut on the slide. I need to know what type of sight to order. Thanks
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Welcome to the forum JR!!! The RIA Tactical uses a Novak style sight, notice I said style so the cut in the slide might not be the exact size for a true Novak sight. Check with www.championgunsights.com
Nobody knows what style cut this pistol has?
It has a Novak style cut!!!
Thanks Auto Mag. I sent Champion Gun Sights an email last week but havent gotten a reply yet. I thought it looked like a Novak cut but I wanted to be sure before I order a new sight. Thanks
I have a Rock Island Armory Tactical and I would like to have a adjustable rear sight installed. Does this pistol have a Novak cut? It looks like a standard dovetail to me but I could be wrong. I know the pistol has Novak sights but I wasnt sure if it was a Novak cut on the slide. I need to know what type of sight to order. Thanks
After some extensive research on here and elsewhere I found this info on this forum.

RIA tactical front sight cuts, .330 x .085 x 65
Rear sight, .488 x .125 x 65
Hope that helps
Reactions: 1
After some extensive research on here and elsewhere I found this info on this forum.

Hope that helps
Also, dawsonprecision is the only place ifound to carry/make sights for our "cut". The only downside is they only make fronts not rears. Armscor/RIA will do the work for $80 not including the price of the sights, you have to buy the sights then send all to RIA.

I have the .45acp tactical fs as well and trying the same thing, but not enough cash yet.
Good luck
Here are the specs for true Novak Sight cuts.

http://www.novaksights.com/installation instructions.html

Hope that helps
Right numbers, wrong places!
RIA Tac. front sight cut .330''x65% x.085''+-.002''-.003'' deep.
RIA Tac. rear sight cut .488''x.65 x.125''?? deep?

I had the factory diagram, but lost them, all of this is from memory...:scratch:
The true Novak Rear cut 495 X.65%
'' '' " Front Cuts, .330''x .65%x 70"- 75'' deep depending on the sight you choose?

the front sight is the problem, if you use the Novak front there will be a Air gap between the slide and the sight base of .015'' to .017''....:rock:
I have a RIA Tactical II FS. It has factory adjustable sights. You cam buy them right from RIA/Armscor's website.
RIA Tactical sights - specs

For reference, so we don't keep losing the specs:

See less See more
Thanks Andy, I always used the sticky from the other 1911 forum, now its gone???... the post is still there, but the Diagram is gone ...:confused:
Oh, well, at least we have our own copy now.
As often as this seems to come up...maybe this can become a sticky post here???
I have posted this as a new thread "Rock Island specifications" but I don't know how to make it a sticky. Help please?
I have posted this as a new thread "Rock Island specifications" but I don't know how to make it a sticky. Help please?
I think only a mod can make stickies. Maybe send a pm?
I think only a mod can make stickies. Maybe send a pm?
If you know how to contact the moderator staff, let me know. I can't find a damn thing about how to request the creation of a sticky thread!
Send a PM to "Staff"

He is listed as a mod.
Send a PM to "Staff"

He is listed as a mod.
Well, Kids; this old bird is stumped! We cannot send PM's to the Staff or the moderator or anyone else in the administration of this pop-stand. Because of that I am afraid that my effort to start a permanent place for Rock Island specifications as a reference is a bust. I have one more round in my magazine and I'm going to fire it now...
Nobody ever checks the Staff e-mail. Please PM an admin if you don't get the results you seek.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.