1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the Rock Island Armory Model: 1911 GI Standard CS ACP 3 inch as a new carry. Does anyone own or have any first hand experience as to how good a manufacture their are? I don't so, I need some input.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Currently own 2 each of 3.5" CS models in 9mm and 45 ACP. All would be classified as used regularly. Shoot weekly at a local range in Highlands County. Totally reliable and as accurate as the shooter. Carried a 9mm version for several years until ammo prices started dropping. Have now gone back to 45. Compare ammo prices at Freedom Munitions and Great Lakes Ammo. Fairly substantial savings compared to many local dealers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had one and it was a very good shooter, never had an issue with mine. RI's CS is excellent, I traded mine for a RIA midsize, I just like the midsize better.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The CS is 3.5". I believe you're making an excellent choice based on my owning one and having great faith in it's reliability and accuracy for it's intended purpose. And a bonus of lifetime warranty and good customer support.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Buddybob - Hello and we look forward to having you join the Rockpile! Your choice is a good one but you didn't mention what caliber you are intending to get. I bought the CS-GI in .45 for my oldest grandson and he really loves the gun but had problems with the standard "GI-style" sights. They mimic the original 1911 sights from over a hundred years ago that were on a gun with a longer barrel and sight radius and intended for cavalry use where a precision shot was more "in the general direction" of a target than anything more specific. For that reason he asked me to change the sights to something more usable so I installed a set of somewhat elevated white-dot sights front and rear. That change, along with a set of custom grips, has him satisfied. I should mention that he isn't an old, myopic geezer like his grandpa but a 21 year-old Private in the 1st Infantry Division with a mid-east deployment under his belt and has 20/20 vision. For that reason, you might consider the Tactical version of the RIA Compact (CS-Tac) that comes with modern, dovetailed, Novak-style combat sights that are far better than the old-fashioned "thumb-nail" units of the CS-GI. Other than a few other features the guns are identical and the latest versions of the Tactical can be had with a rail under the dustcover and aggressive VZ grips right out of the box.
Personally, I conceal-carry my CS-Tac .45 (with some personal modifications) and find it comfortable (with a good holster and belt) and very reliable (I load it with Hornady Critical-Defense ammunition) and I trust it implicitly.
Rock Island Armory (Armscor) makes a wide variety of reliable and affordable firearms that are great starter-1911's and provide the best customer service and warranty in the business and we Rockheads are enthusiastic in our regard for the brand. We invite you to join us!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks to all that responded and thanks for the welcome aboard. I haven't been a member for very long but in that short period I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi, just joined the "Rockpile", and I am happy to read the posts above as it makes me think I made the right decision. Actually, I already had a Citadel (Armscore) 45 full size, and love it. So, when shopping for a new "compact" carry, I decided on the RIA 1911 A1 CS Tactical, 3.5" barrel, VZ grips, and optic front sight, novak combat rear. Picking it up next week, and can't wait to shoot it based on the reviews here. Hope it's more accurate than the SA EMP 40 cal that I bought. Kind of disappointed in that one. But, everyone I talked to said the RI 1911 was a great platform for starting out. Range reports soon as I get it in hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts