1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I picked up my first ever 1911 in 45 acp today. I used to shoot IDPA with a gentleman who told me one day I'd grow up and start shooting a "manly" caliber. Well, today is the day!

The gun feels good, and fits my hand nicely. But the sights stink!

Anyone know of replacement sights for the GI model. it's not dovetailed in the front.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
There are a TON of sights available for the 1911. However very few fit a non-dovetailed front. Sorry to say you should have done your research and bought a gun with dovetailed sights to start with.

I'd strongly suggest Novak. You can send them just your slide, saving on shipping costs, and they can machine your slide, including touching up the finish, and install new sights in about 2 weeks.

http://www.novaksights.com/

Now as far as the details, like white dot, fiber optic, tritium, gold bead, those are up to you.

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
A compact? Like the one on the bottom in the picture below? Those are interesting. I bought that guy around 2002 or so for $300 and sold it a few years ago to a fellow shooter who loved it for $350. I agree calling Novak is the way to go. Maybe go to their website and browse around and see what looks good before you call them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can replace with narrow tenon trijicon sights, which is what I did. The fronts have to be staked on. I'd suggest getting a smith to do it for you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can contact Rock Island and they can fit their Tactial sights to your slide. By having them do the work you preserve your warranty. Search in the Rock Island sub forum for more info

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my CS (GI) since August. I've owned them all including a 3 in. S&W 945 PC. The CS is just as reliable and accurate as that was and I don't reqret selling the 945 one bit. I got enough to buy the CS, an MS and had $300.00 in my pocket. Sure, the CS is a few ounces more, but it handles better because of the extra weight. It would be any better if it had 'COLT' on the slide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts