1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a 1911 recoil buffer on guide rod of a RIA compact?
A website I went to says to never use a buffer with a barrel less than 5 inches.
This is a great forum! Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Generally, that is a true statement. The slide travel is already reduced in a shorter pistol, and adding a buffer can cause the potential for even more FTEs.

The only way to tell for sure if your pistol works well with a buffer, is to try one.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Compact suffers from less than ideal slide travel distance.
Adding something that's at best, marginal to compromise that distance it travel is a BAD idea

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the posts. I'll try without and then with and I'll post results. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
A website I went to says to never use a buffer with a barrel less than 5 inches.
This is a great forum! Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
What is your reason for wanting to use one?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Would be interesting to see what would happen.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It would be interesting to see what would happen if you packed the slide with oatmeal and touched off a couple of rounds also but it still isn't recommended! Buffers perform some service when used with recoil systems that have (a.)significant recoil pressure to overcome; and, (b.) enough spring compression length to allow for the size of the buffer to diminish the effective recoil distance. If one is shooting +P ammunition or equivalent for an extended period and has a sensitivity to recoil then using a buffer temporarily may be called for but even the best of them only last a short time before shredding and all those bits get strewn all over the innards of your pistol, possibly at the exactly wrong time. Secondly, the action-timing of a compact 1911 is shorter and more critical than on any other size of the type. A whole lot of stuff happens in a smaller area and a briefer period than with a full-sized or commander-sized pistol and doing anything to change any of the elements of that area or time is not going to end well. It took a lot of engineering and experimentation for the original Rock Island Arsenal to develop the Officers-sized (compact) 1911 simply because it is so complicated. Try the oatmeal first...

·
Registered
949 Posts
The compacts already eat recoil springs.

Adding foreign material to make that spring even more compressed at all stages seems foolish.

Stuff a new recoil spring in there, leave the buffers at the shop.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
It is a bad idea, don't waste your time . I already tested that theory out 20 years ago. Bad idea.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Armscor/RIA does not recommend using a shock buffer in any of their 1911's!!!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Armscor/RIA does not recommend using a shock buffer in any of their 1911's!!!
Nor does anybody else! >>>>>> :>>>>>> Other than the folks who make/market shock buffers! :biglaugh:

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have never had a short action pistol. That is why I was asking. I thought this forum was to learn, help others learn, not be belittled for asking such an Oatmeal question. I guess I was wrong. I'll never bother anyone again, or use this forum. Goodbye!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Nor does anybody else! >>>>>> :>>>>>> Other than the folks who make/market shock buffers! :biglaugh:

Bob
Not entirely true. Im pretty sure WilsonCombat ships their 5" guns(at least some of them) with Shock buffer in it. They even recommends it(but then like you said, they are the folks who make/market shock buffers).
But they only recommends them for the 5" models. For anything other than 5" guns, they says due to space constraints, they do not recommend their use in compact (less than 5" barrel) 1911's.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-1911-Package-of-6/productinfo/2B

I can attest that the they do run fine on 5" gun(2011, TRP, and few others) from my experience. The issue is that the some 1911 have larger then other slide stop notch, with 1/10" taken out of slide travel, sometimes slide stop will not release when you do the slingshot method with it on(DanWesson I had suffered from this)
I took them off, because I got tired of replacing them.

I have never had a short action pistol. That is why I was asking. I thought this forum was to learn, help others learn, not be belittled for asking such an Oatmeal question. I guess I was wrong. I'll never bother anyone again, or use this forum. Goodbye!
Oh don't be like that.
Some people are bit straight to the point and stuff.
But they are generally good hearted(unless you come here with an attitude, which you clearly did not).
I apologize, if any of these comments offended you.
Im sure that the Oldeagle didn't mean anything by the oatmeal comment.

There is no such thing as stupid question, except one you don't ask.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
pritch - I apologize for my grumpy response to your question; it was unfair of me to be so rude and I am sincerely sorry. The question of buffers comes up every so often here and I guess I assume everybody read the last discussion and the positions presented. There are a number of things that people buy for their guns in the belief (hope?) that a product will cure a problem they are having with the pistol. Compact Rocks, like every other short-chassis 1911 built, are difficult guns to master because of the characteristics that make them desirable; smaller size and less weight. The difference in perceived recoil between a full-sized or Commander-length gun and a compact is very pronounced especially in .45 ACP. While the all-steel compact Rock still weighs considerably more than a polymer-pistol in the same caliber and barrel length, that extra weight doesn't absorb all the recoil and doesn't have the flexibility of the plastic to dissipate it either. This combines with the faster lock time of the gun to make it somewhat of a handful compared to a larger 1911. Some have used buffers on their guide rods on longer guns to ease the shock to the slide of that sudden stop but there just isn't room in the operation of the shorter pistols. They are generally regarded as of limited benefit in larger guns and completely impractical in the compacts.
Please don't let my snappishness sour you on this forum; it can be a valuable source of information and advice to you. But it is the habitat of ordinary people who shoot and love Rock Island guns and occasionally we do get kinda grouchy; just like the rest of the world...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Apoligies if I offended, pritch. If I'm straight to the point, it is generally because I'm on mobile (I'm pretty sure my above reply was typed out on a ~4" screen)

And I thought the oatmeal comment was amusing as an example - but I see how it could be read as offensive.

There's some snark here, and there's a LOT of experience and a LOT of collective recollection. There's a lot of failed experiments in the rockhead hive-mind, too.

If you get an "hey I wonder what would happen if I ____" idea, this is the place to air it, chances are someone tried it, or something similar.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts

Thought yall Texans was tough! :p If you're that easily butt-hurt, you probably have no business on any internet forum. :rolleyes:

Bob

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Cmon Pritch, don't go!!
What OldEagleEars said about the oatmeal was funny! I'm rolling laughing with tears it hit me so funny, even if he said it to me!!:rofl::rofl:
Stay and be part of the fun!!
Seriously, Pedro.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
To the OP if you are still reading the Posted answers to your ? :scratch:
my answer is forget about the buffer on the CS pistol..........:rock:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts