1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one of these in the M4 A4 configuration?

played with one today, trigger is B E A U T I F U L !!! rest of the gun feels good, fit and finish seems decent.

i need to know how they shoot, are they reliable as compared to Bushmasters, Stoner SR's etc...

finally, what should I be paying for that model?

also, what's the better barrel that they offer:

chrome molly(Wilson) or the chrome lined(don't know who makes it) for $35 more.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
RRA was recently awarded a nice gov't contract to produce some M4 type weapons for a federal agency. Speaks very well of the company.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
"I'd go with chrome lined & a 5.56 chamber personally."

don't understand...do they make a chamber other than 5.56???
I thought that's what the gun shot, 5.56

so what's the difference in the chrome lined barrel from the chrome moly??? anyone know?
longevity better with the chrome lined barrel? better accuracy (RRA claims 1MOA with their AR's) what's the deal?
I need a technical explanation if someone has it.

"Rock River Arms AR15s are reliable, well built, tools. An M4A4 sells for $413 without the tactical carry handle."

????? $413???????? you ****tin' me?
I don't need the carry handle either as I will put an Aimpoint on it anyway with a pop up rear sight(GG&G or other brand), but where did you see this price of $413?

on the RRA site they're listing the rifle I want at $875 + options...

-Entry Tactical Civilian model $875
-Quad Rail CAR Handguard + $120
-Chrome lined R4 1:9 w/military muzzle brake +$70
-Tactical CAR stock, black /no charge
-Standard grip, black /no charge

-Tactical carry handle assembly w/sight -$175

Total $890

how does that look and can you get me a better deal???:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
robino said:
don't understand...do they make a chamber other than 5.56???
I thought that's what the gun shot, 5.56
5.56 vs. .223Rem. Lots of debate over this in the past. What it comes down to is .223 is a tighter chamber which MAY have problems with some surplus 5.56 ammo. My .223 chambered rifles have never had a problem with it.

so what's the difference in the chrome lined barrel from the chrome moly??? anyone know?
longevity better with the chrome lined barrel? better accuracy (RRA claims 1MOA with their AR's) what's the deal?
I need a technical explanation if someone has it.
The difference between chrome lined and chrome moly is like the difference between a jacket with a waterproof polyester shell and a cotton/polyester blend. Chrome lined has a harder, more resistant to corrosion bore while the chrome moly alloy can have slightly better accuracy. Chrome lined can last as much as twice the number of rounds as non chrome lined (not sure about chrome moly on that count).

I'll pick chrome lined every time myself...

I have no idea where he came up with $413... For just an upper maybe?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a postban RRA M4 upper I put on a RRA lower that I built and it was the most reliable AR I owned. It went through 2 days and 1500rds at Sigarms academy w/o a hiccup. It had the chrome-lined M4 barrel with pressed on fake brake. I always stick with chrome-lined barrels on rifles that I may use for self defense. Adco has a website that you can build your perfect RRA upper and their prices are excellent. I believe it was the DEA that has the contract with RRA.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts

Here is my RR-M4 with a Wilson comp, UTE receiver, Aimpoint ML2, Falcon accessory rail and vertical grip, Surefire 6P light with touch pad. It has the standard trigger not the match trigger. It's been very reliable and I love it, had to go through two other brands before I found RR. I've used it in NRA bullseye matches and in Tactical Carbine classes, never miss a beat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was so impressed with my RRA M4 clone I decided to get rid of my Bushmaster. It has the chromoly barrel and pressed on faux flash hider. With Hornday 55 grain V-max factory ammo it'll shoot 5 round groups (with iron sights) at 50 yards that a dime will completely hide.

It is utterly reliable as well. It'll even digest that *gasp *cough* choke* Wolf brand ammo with no problems at all.

FWIW, RRA uses (unless they have changed recently) what's called a 5.56 Wylde chamber. In a nutshell it is a compromise between a 5.56 NATO chamber and a .223 Remington chamber.

I'll never buy anything but RRA for now on.

My photo hosting server I use is down right now or i'd post a pic of my groups as well as the rifle.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Not an M4, but a carbine flat-top. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd say RRA is one of the best value in AR15's right now. I personally couldn't care less about the chrome lined barrel. And when (if?) I do wear out my barrel, I'd probably still replace it with a non-chrome lined barrel.

As for the chamber. I've not found any problems. My RRA has worked with everything I've fed it so far. Zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
I have the RRA M4 with about 4K rounds through it, mostly Winchester Q3131A with some surplus stuff.
Zero malfunctions. I put on a A1 stock because I never cared for the feel of a non adjustable, adjustable stock.

Works like a dream.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I own an RRA M4. I did alot of research before I got it, I traded a very nice Colt XSE stainless straight across for it. The chambers on the RRA are 5.56 but will also shoot the .223. If the gun is marked .223 you better not shoot military 5.56 out of it. Some people say they are the same rounds but believe me there not. RRA makes a damn fine AR15, its probaly the tightest out there, triggers are better than any others, finish is excellent. As far as the barrel goes thats a personnal preferance. You cant go wrong with the RRA, they also have a lifetime warranty. Im very happy with mine and Ive replaced my Colt .45 with a Springfield WW2 mil-spec....I cant live without a .45 LOL. Ive put a red dot scope on mine and Im waiting for an A2 carry handle with adjustable sights, I just like the looks of the original configuration. Heres some great info on the 5.56 vs .223........ Click Here ....
Heres a great review of the RRA......... Click Here

·
Registered
10 Posts
RRA rifles are either 5.56 or Wylde chamber. The Wylde is a happy medium between the .223 SAAMI and 5.56 NATO specs. You can shoot NATO-spec ammo in a Wylde chamber.

I personally like the chrome lining. It can help with case extraction under certain conditions, but I like it more for barrel life and ease of cleaning.

RRA is the best bang for the buck in ARs right now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's a pic of my frankenAR. It's a RRA upper on a Bushmaster lower. It has the RRA NM trigger (a thing of beauty compared to the stock turd). Chromemoly barrel. If I wear this barrel out (not likely), I'll get a chrome bore on the next one. I wouldn't recomend the stuby buttstock if you plan on shooting it. It's just too short. Looks cool though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Heres a pic of my RRA M4, its got a red dot sight but I got my A2 carry handle with adjustable sights about an hour ago so its on the gun at this moment.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Chromemoly refers to the steel the barrel is made out of. I think all AR barrels are chromemoly (except stainless). Chrome lined is plating on the barrel and chamber of the rifle after it is machined and rifled. It provides enhanced corrosion protection, lubricity, easier cleaning, and a longer service life. It may be slightly less accurate, but you probably won't notice unless you do some really serious bench work. Chrome lining is a very good thing on a military gun. On a non-military gun it is also nice, but not absolutely required. It was the major functional upgrade of the M16 to the M16A1, used to help solve malfunction problems (the quasi-useless forward assist was another A1 upgrade). I personally really like having it, but the guns without it run fine unless seriously neglected.

There is a difference between a 5.56 and 223 chamber. The 5.56 is better in an AR unless you plan on avoiding surplus and current 5.56 ammo (WW Q3131, WWQ3131A, IMI M193, and all surplus ammo is 5.56, not 223). I don’t know what chamber RR uses. Most folks ignore the difference and do fine, but it is there and can reputedly cause problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
K1500 as stated above the chamber on the RRA is a "Wylde", its the best of both worlds allowing mil surplus 5.56 and regular .223 cases with no problems. A couple of comments up Ive got links to facts about the 5.56 vs .223 and a review of the RRA AR15.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts