1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Nelson Custom Guns 22 conversion kit and have been looking for a 1911 frame to put together a dedicated 1911 22LR. While looking around for frames and parts, I stumbled across this RIA ROCK Standard FS 45 ACP in my local Sportsman's Warehouse for under $500 (499.99 to be exact). I decided to roll the dice on a lower end 1911. Besides, it was going to cost me a lot more cash just to put together a decent complete frame, so the RIA followed me to the house. After I got home, I broke it down, cleaned it, did a little judicious stoning and polishing, and lubed it up. I replaced the wood grips with some G10 grips I had sitting around.

To get to the point, I took it out this morning and ran about 75 rounds of hand loads and factory ammo through it and I'm impressed. It's not pretty but it just flat ass works. It fed everything with no problems. It worked with all my different mags, locking back every time after the last round. It ejected all the empty brass in a fairly neat pile at 2-3 o'clock about 5 feet away. And it shot nice tight groups for me at the point of aim after a very minor sight adjustment for azimuth. Trigger pull is a little over 6#, but is very crisp with no creep and feels a lot less. My only issues with it out of the box are the trigger and ambi thumb safeties are a little sharp for my tender hands, and the black front sight is hard to see for my ancient eyes. But that's just whining.

I'm going to work on the trigger pull to see if I can get it down to the 3-4# range without compromising safety since it's going to be a training and range gun when I get the 22 slide. If I screw up the parts, I'll just replace them with some quality pieces from Harrison Design or Wilson Combat. Not sure if this gun is the exception slipping through QC, but Armscor did a great job on this particular example. I've got a couple of other 1911s from some supposedly higher end manufacturers that cost a lot more money and they all took some work to get to run right. If I thought all Armscor 1911s were this good, I'd be tempted for convert those other guns into more Filipino iron plus cash for ammo. If you're thinking about a low dollar 1911, you might give Rock Island Armory a try. Hopefully, you'll get lucky like I did.

Pete

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 3.5". The only pia is recoil spring needs replacement about every 700 rounds or the gun becomes wonderful how to clear different jams tool. I have no other complaints.

·
Registered
149 Posts
RIA makes a pretty consistently decent 1911 and great CS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked one up, on a whim, about a month ago, and yes, it shoots to POA and handles well enough for me. They really are pretty decent guns. A month or so before that, I'd picked up a 6" 10mm that has also been quite good. While they aren't a Colt, they beat the heck out of the Colts of 40 years ago.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do miss my 10mm RIA.

TBH, I miss almost all of the guns I’ve traded off or sold.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Still plugging along with no problems after another couple hundred rounds, Changed to fiber optic front sight. Installed a flat face 10-8 trigger just to try it out although it may have to go since the trigger bow is a little long and the gun won't pass the half-cock trigger reset test. Also, the sear and disco are out of spec, so those need to be replaced. But it still works with no problems.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
An update on my Rock Standard. Just replaced and tested the following parts:
  • Wilson Combat single side thumb safety
  • Wilson Combat Bullet Proof sear and disconnector
  • Wilson Combat Sear spring
  • Replaced 10-8 trigger due to long trigger bow with a Wilson Combat flat face
  • Installed 19# mainspring (recommended by Nelson Custom Guns for their 22 conversion) and paired that with a 18.5# recoil spring for when I use the 45 slide
  • Installed EGW square bottom oversize firing pin stop
  • Replaced most of the pins and springs with Ed Brown parts. Only part I couldn't exchange was the sear pin. The RIA pin is .052" and the Ed Brown is .054".

After installing the WC trigger with a shorter trigger bow and filing down the tops of the disco ears a couple of thousandths, the gun now passes the half cock trigger test. The new WC sear, and adjustments to the sear and disco legs on the WC sear spring, reduced the trigger pull from 6# to 5# with no creep and a nice clean break. I tried an old Kimber sear spring that reduced the trigger down to 3.5#, but decided to stay with a 5# trigger since that's what I have on my other 1911s. The 22 conversion is going to be mainly for practice, not competition.

Other than some 200 gr SWC hand loads that don't work in any of my other 1911s, the gun has been flawless with 230 gr FMJs and factory JHPs. It will even feed empty brass with no problems - something I read that is an indicator of properly setup frame and barrel feed ramps. If I hadn't planned on using the frame for a dedicated 22 1911, I would have only installed the fiber optic front sight and maybe the firing pin stop and still been really happy. It may not be the best looking 1911, but the Rock still continues to impress me.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts