1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished the photos of four of the six class guns. Two are already on their way home.

It's time for these guys to be in the spotlight.

I personally think this group of first time building, overachieving, Type A personalities did a great job. A lot of my time was spent reining them in from starting something that simply couldn't be completed in the allotted time of the class. For example, Ricardo wanted to deepen the bevel in his mag well on Day 6....starting on it at 4:00 PM.

At any rate, I thought it would be interesting for YOU guys to pick the gun for the honor grad, and why you chose it. Please don't allow your vote to be influenced by the builder's personal choices like ambi-safeties, front grasping grooves, etc. I'm only looking for your choice of the best all 'round work.

Choices are labeled 1-4. Names were not used although I'm sure some of the guys who train with them will recognize parts preferences.

ALL of the students busted hump in this class. Long hours and hard work paid off, at least in MY eyes.

NUMBER ONE

NUMBER TWO

NUMBER THREE

NUMBER FOUR

Obligatory group photos:

Bulldog Six has added last day photos and a complete wrap-up to his thread. He did a terrific job and it's worth a visit. Here's a link:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=229119

·
Banned
365 Posts
WOW. My vote goes to number 1 - love that trigger !!!

Beautiful final products, all of them. Just as a point of reference, what would their final cost be for their gun [parts / class cost / etc.] ? If you ever decide to take your class "on the road" please come to southern Oregon. I'll sign up first.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I am speechless. Those all look like $2000 customs, not the work of a first time builder!

My vote goes to #2, but all are outstanding.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
It's a toss up between #1 and #2

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Gonna have to go with #2 for complete work.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Whats the complete work thing about, they are all finished 100%!
Supposed to be judging on the "Complete Work" as in the entire build. Not just what trigger you like the most.

Look at the fit of the grip safety on #2 and then look at the rest. Now look at the bevel on the bottom of the slide on #2 and then look at the rest.

The person holding the file on #2 did the cleanest work IMO.

Congrats to all that attended the class for learning stuff that only some of us will ever have a chance to learn...

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I'll go with #4, as well. They are so similar that there's really not much to focus on, but I like the extra bit of contouring of the thumb safety.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Having held all in hands and inspecting them all I couldn't pick one best without allowing my own likes and dislikes influence me. For instance I loath that straight trigger and front cocking serrations. That being said I would gladly own any of them and would put them up against any of the high end pistols of the major companies.

Seeing the long hours and sweat that went into them only makes me want them more!

be safe irv

·
Registered
477 Posts
They're all beautiful and it's a tough call without seeing more of the pistols. I look for things like the bushing/barrel fit and if crowned how well it's executed. The blend on the GS and MSH. How well the back of the slide/frame area match up. Symmetry of the dehorn job, and, believe it or not, whether the grip panel screws alignment match when the screws are fully tightened (can actually be accomplished with flat blade screws if the bushings are carefully inserted and cut). Other things like quality of checkering and, of course, the slide/frame fit and feel but that can not be judged by photos ...

Bob asked that we not base our assessment on the parts selected though I must admit the flat "speed" trigger pistol sets it apart from the others ... obviously the work of a competitive shooter ... ;)

I'm going with number one, not because of the trigger, but it "looks" to be fit the smoothest - though they all look great in the photos!

Well done to all!

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I have to agree with you Rinspeed. They are all very nice 1911's!!!:rock:

Mr. Rodgers, give my regards to all who worked on these excellent looking pistols!:rock:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Cant decide. Im sure the two in the mail are just as nice. Im stunned i cant think what to say. there awsome. If my TRP was a fraction of that work. Pure works of art. Okay one last word WOW.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts