1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I believe I have enough data now to ask the question here. Anyone know the size of the front sight roll pin on a SA operator. Mine is very loose and may need some work. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave... That what I was thinking. But I forgot to measure it last night. After my last range session it was sticking up a 1/16 or more and I just tapped it back in, but it was way too easy. I'm visiting a friend today (research machinist) to talk about a "ultratool" like helper for the SA and I'm sure he'll give me a few. Is it .250 in length? It's a new pistol and I hate to think about sending it back to SA for this, unless it gets worse. Would a little blue loctite help or should that not be done? Thanks for the info.. Ron

1/16" diameter

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
.250 will work. You'll probably have to shorten it a bit with a file or belt sander. Degrease the roll pin and the hole through the sight and slide and put a drop of loctite on it like you said. I use red but blue will work too. Red loctite does not give as strong of a bond with pins and sight dovetails as it does on threads so removing the pin later is not a problem.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sir. I noticed the underside of the slide around the hole was "peened or dimpled" a little. I'm supposed to be the "original owner", so I don't know how that would have happened. Cheers.. Ron

.250 will work. You'll probably have to shorten it a bit with a file or belt sander. Degrease the roll pin and the hole through the sight and slide and put a drop of loctite on it like you said. I use red but blue will work too. Red loctite does not give as strong of a bond with pins and sight dovetails as it does on threads so removing the pin later is not a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts