1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Clint’s a class act, never had the chance to meet or train with him.
Watch some of his YouTube videos, he is hilarious....

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Good article, he is one from "The Old Guard" - hit what you are shooting at "one round at a time", no amount of BS tactical gear and other BS advise will ever change this. Common sense based training and advise all around in the mode of the like's of Cooper and other's.

And to that end, he pick's trigger-control above all else (not much of a surprise but good that he point's it out) and rather than paraphrase, I'll let his word's speak for themselves:

"A: Manipulation of the trigger. You need to do it consistently and repeatedly so you can do it under duress. No sight picture, and no sight is going to compensate for yanking on the trigger. Everyone wants to put a TV screen (red-dot optic) on their gun now, and I’ve got no problem with that, we’re going to start training with them here so we can do a great job on that, but no TV screen is going to compensate for yanking on the trigger. The sight is the last visual control over the projectile, the trigger is the last physical control. They need to be managed. And management comes through practice, practice, practice."

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Good article, he is one from "The Old Guard" - hit what you are shooting at "one round at a time", no amount of BS tactical gear and other BS advise will ever change this. Common sense based training and advise all around in the mode of the like's of Cooper and other's.

And to that end, he pick's trigger-control above all else (not much of a surprise but good that he point's it out) and rather than paraphrase, I'll let his word's speak for themselves:

"A: Manipulation of the trigger. You need to do it consistently and repeatedly so you can do it under duress. No sight picture, and no sight is going to compensate for yanking on the trigger. Everyone wants to put a TV screen (red-dot optic) on their gun now, and I’ve got no problem with that, we’re going to start training with them here so we can do a great job on that, but no TV screen is going to compensate for yanking on the trigger. The sight is the last visual control over the projectile, the trigger is the last physical control. They need to be managed. And management comes through practice, practice, practice."

...."the trigger is the last physical control". Yep.

Thanks for another reminder. When doing accuracy/practice drills, if I remember to say to myself JUST BEFORE lighting the match....."pull the trigger straight to the rear", my results improve immediately.

YMMV. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
An American treasure. These guys were so formative on how we do things now, but the lack of value our culture puts on history is evident in that so many of the "new" trainers don't understand or appreciate that they are trodding a well worn path by men who thought and reasoned their way forward.

Shot timer - only a fool wouldn't use one! Capacity - gotta have it! TVs on guns - how could one live without it? Balderdash! And true creative geniuses like Clint Smith recognize the tertiary value of what doesn't matter, of what isn't central to winning a fight.

Of course his ability to come up with legendary sound bites doesn't hurt one bit, either.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
if i remember to say to myself just before lighting the match....."pull the trigger straight to the rear", my results improve immediately.

Ymmv. :)
+1911

Clint Smith and Jeff Cooper are two of my favorite gun folk.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thanks for the link. Would love to take a class from him while he's still teaching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts