1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just started reloading in the past two weeks and I AM HOOKED!

So far, I've reloaded about 300 rds of 45 ACP with W231 and Ranier 230gr FMJ. I'm shooting my new S&W 1911 and so far it's handling them fine. Haven't blown my hand off yet, so I must be on the right track. Couple of stovepipes, not sure why, but surely my doing. Shooting some real nice groups, but have only tried two different powder weights.

W231 is much dirtier than the factory rounds, but something I can live with.

Some funny things:
Put a couple of primers in backwards:confused:
Seated a couple of bullets almost all the way in:)
Made a real nice, clean round...with no primer:eek:

From what I've been reading here, I guess it's all over....or just beginning. Both are fine with me....

Andy

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
BikeMan,

What's your load and press? Some presses need a breakin just like some guns. Part of the breakin is as the "newness" wears, they need to be adjusted. Sometimes just because it worked, but still wasn't quite right. Tracy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tracy,

I'm using a Lee Turret Press. Not the most expensive by far, but simple enough for me to figure out.

My loads with W231 have been 4.8gr and 5.1gr using the Lee auto disk. I've got an upgraded powder hopper on the way...I cracked the first one and I've noticed that my loads have been a bit inconsistent (by feel only). I also ordered the double disk as it says I should be able to refine my loads even further.

Thanks for the help. Andy

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Thought the "upside down primers" sounded like a Lee. I got mine (see my sig line) 04/98 and have over 108K loaded so far. Took some playing with to get it right. Check out the Lee website. They have some videos that will take a lot of thre experimenting out of the set-up. I had mine working for 80K rds when I saw the videos and found out some of my adjustments weren't quite right. It worked, but worked smoother after I made the corrections. Only thing I would trade it for now would be an exact duplicate only in a 4-stage. With the 3-stage, I make all my loaded ammo, take off the top plate and put on a plate with just the Lee Factory Crimp Die (LFCD) and re-run all my just made ammo thru that die. 108K rds =218K pulls of the handle.

I've tried many diff bullets & powders from 152's to 300 gr. All will work with the right oal. My current load is a +P 255 lswc w/5.0 gr Unique 1.185 oal. It's warm and throws brass 4-6' farther than factory WW white box 230 fmj. Good luck, Tracy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Tracy.

I just spent part of the afternoon using the Lee turret as a single stage since I'm waiting for my hopper to arrive. Now I have a good amount ready for the powder, bullet, and crimp.

Thanks for the idea of the Lee videos. I've been to the site a couple of times but didn't notice all the help videos...could've used those earlier.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I've never had an upside down primer using my 550, but I have had an occasional failure to seat a primer.
It's easy to get into a rhythm and everything is going fine; you're whipping out ammo ninety to nothing and then for some reason you get distracted...and you forget to seat a new primer. Next thing you know, you're wondering where all that extra powder is coming from that happens to be all over your press, and in your catch bin. :dope:

Been there...done that.

Just pull the bullet, clean up the powder and start all over again with that casing.

It happens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have never had a primer problem with my 550 so am curious as to what the other posters feel the upside-down primers are due to.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I hope I don't get kicked out of the club for saying this, but I still get an occasional upside-down primer on my Dillon 550's. And, an occasional "mashed" one on my 650. :)
Rod, if you do I’m going with you. It happens

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have never had a primer problem with my 550 so am curious as to what the other posters feel the upside-down primers are due to.
Well I can fess to a few reasons why it happens.

One, you loaded it in the primer tube wrong.
(Man, I could a swore I flipped all of them!)

Two, you loaded the primer tube correctly but then the last one from the pickup tube to the drop tube “turned” on ya as you were charging the primer system.

Three, as you load a case into the station you pick up the edge of the primer and “roll it over” as you set the case in the station on the shell plate.

I’ve been known to engage component before brain on more than one occasion

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Gerk,

Gotta agree with your three reasons. But, I think there's a 4th, which happens to me probably more than any other "malfunction".

After the primer cup picks up a new primer, and gets to it's "home" position under the shellplate, it's not exactly lined up. This is due to the adjustment screw that determines the lenght of travel of the primer bar backing out just a hair. This creates a tiny, tiny misalignment of primer & shellplate. Then on the primer seating forward push of the handle, the primer "flips" about 90 degrees and wedges in the primer pocket of the case, and usually gets crushed into the primer pocket.

Of course, you can immediately "feel" that the primer didn't seat right, and take corrective action, but you've got to pull that case, deprime it, and lose the primer. And at 2 cents each, I really hate wasting that primer. :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yea Rod, I’ve had a similar problem like that one.
I was loading and every third or forth primer would return up side down?

I checked my alignment and everything lined up ok.

I took the priming system apart and that little white nylon stud gizmo that holds the primers in the drop tube during cycling (I think Dillon calls it a primer feed stop pin) had developed a little burr on the end.

I just used a small piece of 400-grit sandpaper to dress out the burr and I was back in business.
The little burr was catching the primer and “flipping” it as the primer slide cycled.
Sometimes it’s the littlest things.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just so we have all the press colors/food groups addressing the primer flip issue. When primers run low on my Hornady LNL-AP. The primer slide plate is much more likely to roll a primer rather than slide it. Hangs up, no primer, or oops, one upside down. Keep threatening to actually follow advice, and pick up a 1/8th wooden dowel from the hobby shop, and slide it down the top of the primer feed tube, marked, so I can tell when primers are getting low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts