1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Sure, you can rotate the magazines if you want. But it's not necessary.

I have 4 magazines for my 1911. 2 Wilsons & 2 factory Springfields. When going shooting, I load 3 of them up with WWB and shoot around 200 rounds. Last off, I shoot up the magazine that has the carry ammo in it. (and reload with fresh carry ammo when leaving the range)

That way you can rotate your carry ammo/magazines and shoot your duty loadings once in a while.

· Registered
669 Posts
Magazine Springs

From what I have read, magazine springs don't take a "set" from being stored loaded (or unloaded). They only experience wear when they are actually used, i.e., when the magazine is loaded with rounds or is discharging rounds and the spring is being flexed or un-flexed. I cannot categorically state that this is the truth, but I've read it enough places to believe it. So it's a good idea not to use one magazine exclusively for shooting, but from what I have read it doesn't hurt to leave them loaded between shooting sessions. If other shooters have more accurate information on this point, I would welcome it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.