1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
...switching between platforms could get you killed! The latest church shooting proved that a small fumble could be the difference between being shot or being the shooter!...
OT but was that a fumble or just a slow draw? The brain has to be calculating the speed of the threat and saying whether the firearm can be brought to bear before losing the sudden death draw test. Every time I see that video I want the good guy to quicken up!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well I rotate every six months or so after a few visits to the gun range for a check-up. They are comfortable, light weight and accurate well within 30 feet. I have faith in my two choices and my ammo that I train with. What more can I ask.
"IMHO anyone who rotates between different platforms is a fool!" - 392heminut. Well I just don't give a damn, how's that for flak!

·
Registered
64 Posts
No rotation, per say,that said, I use two carry guns. A Sig P238 loaded with Sig ammo. That gets carried, with an extra mag, when I really don’t want anyone to know I’m strapped. For pretty much EDC it’s a Ruger Officer’s Model in 45acp loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. That one is carried most of the time.
Both carried in an Andre’s spandex chest band holster under the left arm.
Not as quick as an own holster, but rarely detected by anyone.
That’s what works for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the whims of rotation

For those of you who rotate carry pistols, how often do you rotate and what is your criteria for rotation?
Dress, weather & situation has everything to do with carry weapon rotation. For me, could be anything from a 380 TCP Taurus to a 10 MM RIA 1911. What doesn't change is the ammo-of which I am quite partial to Underwood cartridges with Lehigh bullets. Whether a 380, a 10, or something inbetween it needs to put a nice messy hole in anything organic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My primary carry piece is a Sig Sauer P938 with extended Sig Sauer magazines. The 4 magazines get rotated every 3 months. I'll load 2 magazines with Golden Sabre Bonded 147 grain Remington and leave 2 magazines empty to help eliminate spring memory surprises. I do rotate my pistols every couple of years with my Remington Model 51. It is now 101 years old and has never suffered a failure in the 60 some-odd years I've been shooting it. The 51 was passed down from my dad, passed down from his dad. Grandpa bought it new for $15.25 in 1919 at a local gun shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those of you who rotate carry pistols, how often do you rotate and what is your criteria for rotation?
Dress, weather & situation has everything to do with carry weapon rotation. For me, could be anything from a 380 TCP Taurus to a 10 MM RIA 1911. What doesn't change is the ammo-of which I am quite partial to Underwood cartridges with Lehigh bullets. Whether a 380, a 10, or something inbetween it needs to put a nice messy hole in anything organic.
I have to agree. Dress and destination are important factors for me. I carry an LCP at work because I would rather not advertise. Outside of work a 5” 1911...in the winter. Where I live seasonal changes affect what I can carry, otherwise I probably wouldn’t rotate.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
What I carry on the job depends on the work to be accomplished that day.
100 feet up a stick in a bosun's chair, wiring electronics for hours at a time, mid day August in Key Largo, ain't full size pistol territory. :eek:

Neither is in the bilges or crawling thru tight areas to get the work done right, as Cops on the water don't need breakdowns on a chase. :rock:

Belts scratch the Palm Beach varnish work on mega-yachts. :bawling:

HS 22 Mag Derringer.
LCP
Bobcat 22LR
S&Walther PPKs Stainless
Sig P238 HD

.... and when teaching them how to use the gear or fishing:
Smith M59 that replaced the Colt GM around '80.

In the field, swamp or the Rockies, kids live there now, a Security Six Snub since '80, a 629/4" or the M460 Carry. :rock:

We're talking protection not hunting.
Lotsa practice in six decades.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
As stated numerous times....not truly a rotation. My PPS Classic is inside my waistband 90% of the time. I will sometimes catch a bug to carry my ULC Commander or my P99AS. I refer to those two in my head as “in my rotation”, the terminology is not correct. Perhaps “on my carry ‘menu’” is more accurate.

I have several that are not on the “menu”. I’ll never conceal my M45A1 or any number of my Beretta M9 variants. They aren’t in my carry thought process.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Retired LE, have carried so long that is doesn't seem right to leave home without carrying.....
Summers can be brutal hot/humid here, so pocket carry of my Kahr PM9 is just about every day. Shorts/t-shirt or fishing shirt is everyday wear.

Cooler weather allowing regular clothing with vests/jackets whatever allow for more, and easier to shoot hardware, which for me is almost always some sort of 1911.
Currently a RIA 1911 5" .38 Super that's had some basic work done to it.

Fortunate in that I have my own range and regularly practice and run drills.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would not say I exactly rotate, but I carry based on situation. My primary conceal carry is either a 9mm Shield or 45 Shield. I live in SE Texas, so most of the year is hot and humid, short & t shirt weather. The Shield 9 serves perfect for this. Sometimes a Ruger LCR 38 works as well. In the little winter we have, if I am wearing a jacket I carry my CZ P07 9mm. The other day I also carried my Beretta LTT Elite under a jacket. I also carry the P07 concealed while serving on TX Army National Guard duty (we are authorized).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Being a gun guy, I carry different guns all the time. Basically based on what I feel like carrying that day. Usually some sort of Glock, HK VP series, or 1911.

I don't own any guns I don't shoot well. As much as I like Revolvers, I rarely carry one due to lack of capacity.

Ideally, I should carry and shoot the same gun all the time, but what fun is that?

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Amen to this!

Being a gun guy, I carry different guns all the time. Basically based on what I feel like carrying that day. Usually some sort of Glock, HK VP series, or 1911.

I don't own any guns I don't shoot well. As much as I like Revolvers, I rarely carry one due to lack of capacity.

Ideally, I should carry and shoot the same gun all the time, but what fun is that?
And I thought that I was the only person here that carried according to whatever took my fancy on any given day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My carry choice is usually based on what I am wearing. I live in Central Florida where it can be quite hot and humid and I really don't have the physique for concealing a full size service pistol or even most 1911s. Generally, I wear shorts or Levis, tee shirts or untucked short-sleeve sports shirts even in the Winter. When it gets extremely cold here, I might have to wear a sweat shirt, long pants and a windbreaker. Most of the time I carry a Sig P365. When dressed in shorts and tee shirt, it's a Sig P938 or a Sig P238.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I carry one gun, a Kahr K9. I've carried it for many years. I do have different holsters that I use depending on what I wear. Does that count as a rotation?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a few favorites, but also indulge in playing the field occasionally with any good handguns with which I am familiar. I am a hobbyist. I can indulge whims.

Summer/winter carry does not enter into decisions on which handgun gets toted.

It's fine to carry the same side arm always, but coming down against other folks' carry rotation habit only shows a certain insecure dithering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
THE ONLY "rotation" I engaged in was when I was doing UC work. Depending on the deal I was working and how potentially bad the folks were I was running with I either carried my Colt Commander LW or the Star PD.
The Commander was carried when the risk was high
and
the Star when it wasn't quite so high.

The only difference was one carried more bullets than the other.
but
neither looked like "A Cop's gun".

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
At night on the bike In warm weather I carried the Redhawk 5.5” 44 mag. In the cold weather I carried a Redhawk 7.5” 44 mg. Other times it’s a cz82/9mm mak, security six snubby in 357. The 1911 may get into the pond but not often.

When I was carrying the 1911 more I was switching magazines more than guns.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts